SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know a looooooooooot about urban-sprawl, but I must ask all of you, what is America's worst sprawled city/metro area?

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I know most Atlantans don't want to believe it, but I have to say that Atlanta is probably the most sprawled metro there is.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^I hear a lot of southern cities are pretty bad. Atlanta, Memphis, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Jacksonville etc.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I have to say Los Angeles is still the worst, but they are adopting (or being forced to adopt) infill developments. Really no more room to spread out to, except south westward.
Also notorious sprawl:(not in order)
Atlanta
Houston
Phoenix
Chicago
Jacksonville
Bay Area
DC/Baltimore
New York Metro

many more....

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
Tie between Houston, Atlanta and Phoenix. Pretty much every major metro suffers from mindnumbing sprawl, but these three cities don't really have a centralized urban core to offset the blandness. Downtowns yes, but they lack truly urban neighborhoods outside of downtown.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, Phoenix has HORRENDOUS sprawl. I hate it here!!!!!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Atlanta, Houston, Phoenix, Jacksonville, and Los Angeles...By far, the 5 most poorly planned cities in the United States. Sprawl in these cities is horrible and it's ashamed that these cities were led by such poor planners in earlier days...

·
6,418 Posts
Atlanta, is one of (if not) the biggest sprawler. Western cities like LA, Las Vegas, and others sprawl, but it's relatively dense sprawl (if that makes sense) because the desert prohibits sprawl like back east.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
In terms of size or percentage? Hard to compete against NYC, Chicago or LA - but certainly , most if not all sunbelt cities are primarily sprawl.

Indeed though - Atlanta is insanely massive. Oh well, at least I live in the city though...

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
phoenix is numero uno

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
houston (ugh, the commute is a bitch), phoenix and asslanta. although asslanta proper is landlocked but its burbs are sprawly,,,

·
Registered
841 Posts
Take your largest metros. That's your list. Such a small percentage of a metro's population comes from the core city nowadays that you can really just go straight down the list of metro population to get a feel for which cities sprawl the most.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Metropolitan Washington D.C. is the absolute worst imo. Endless suburban sprawl now going past Frederick Maryland, Harpers Ferry WV, Hagerstown Md, Faquier County Va, Prince William County Va and beyond.

Atlanta
Chicago
Phoenix

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Man, I know you're from the area, and that you didn't enjoy it that much, but it is simply not the worst, Phoenix, LA, and Atlanta are much worse.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Every city has sprawled.
Phoenix was named one of the best planned cities in the World.
If you think Phoenix has sprawl, you should come to the South. Florida, Georgia, North Carolina.

Sprawled is not bad, I rather live in a big house than in high rise in New York.
I have four cars and I love them. in NY I would not be able to afford four cars. I have a big house in Arizona, and one here in North Carolina. I feel like a rich person living in Both Arizona and North CArolina.

I love the wide street and freeways of Phoenix. and the well planned communities in Maricopa county.
So long live sprawled and I am sure millions are with me on this.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Beside the ones posted above. SOme cities such as Kansas City feels like sprawl within the city limits.

I have to agree about Chicago. There are more suburbs west of Elgin(about50-60 miles NW of chicago). 50-60 miles NW of chicago on I-90, with new suburbs.

Also Kendall County, IL(the 2nd highest growth county in the US)!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts