SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lack of land?
High cost of land?
Low cost of labor and materials to build skyscrapers?
Demand for office space?

Why does say San Francisco, LA or Dallas not have a fraction of the construction?

·
Banned
309 Posts
^^

is it even related to the thread???

i thiknk it's all pretty much a symbolic...to show off that their country is a developed one..a false perspective u know...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Lack of land?
High cost of land?
Demand for office space?

Why does say San Francisco, LA or Dallas not have a fraction of the construction?
Very easy answer: MONEY. Asia increasingly has the money, technology, know-how, and msot of all VIBRANCY that the US lacks. Period.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Imagination, idea, fantasy, dream and modernization is the answer. I'm disagree to make all China cities to became skyscrapers city. Qingdao should be more like Paris and other Europe City or Monaco and Nice too. Something like a unique that makes them always be remembered.

May be skyscraper is a symbol or imagination of 21st century city. Look at Shenzhen for example. It's a great city design with skylines buildings, surrounded by park and wide street. Isn't it like a concept of future city on paper.

China invite all world class architecture to discuss about what is a good city look like. Mostly like the design concept of skylines buildings, surrounded by park, there's a river and lake, wide street, subway and bus, highway and expressway, etc. And China want something like that.

Because first, all land in China is owned by government, it easy for them to build such city. US and other countries want too, but their land owner law make everything difficult. Second the investors is more willingly to build such projects rather than plain concept of building and China government need their money to build their city. Third is because China worker is still cheap, if they want to build a city, they must build it as fast as China can, and design it good from the beginning, because in the future, when worker salary as high as in US, fixing a city design is very costly. Fourth, the major and China people love this kind of city too.

·
Mosher "K"
1,310 Posts
Imagination, idea, fantasy, dream and modernization is the answer. I'm disagree to make all China cities to became skyscrapers city. Qingdao should be more like Paris and other Europe City or Monaco and Nice too. Something like a unique that makes them always be remembered.

May be skyscraper is a symbol or imagination of 21st century city. Look at Shenzhen for example. It's a great city design with skylines buildings, surrounded by park and wide street. Isn't it like a concept of future city on paper.

China invite all world class architecture to discuss about what is a good city look like. Mostly like the design concept of skylines buildings, surrounded by park, there's a river and lake, wide street, subway and bus, highway and expressway, etc. And China want something like that.

Because first, all land in China is owned by government, it easy for them to build such city. US and other countries want too, but their land owner law make everything difficult. Second the investors is more willingly to build such projects rather than plain concept of building and China government need their money to build their city. Third is because China worker is still cheap, if they want to build a city, they must build it as fast as China can, and design it good from the beginning, because in the future, when worker salary as high as in US, fixing a city design is very costly. Fourth, the major and China people love this kind of city too.
Most of your points are right, but the major reason is that, Chinese lands are expensive, China with the same size of USA is 4times the pop, and the major developments are in the large cities and newly rise cities, that push up the land price significantly, so when the real estate developers purchase lands, they are not being silly to build afew house on the same area that can build a skyscraper. And the chinese governments restrict the growing cities size, so that valuable lands and resources can be preserve for the future generations. And thats why China is the only third world country that has infrastructure on par with the developed countries, because these infrastructure will fit the skyscrapercities.

·
Banned
544 Posts
demand/supply for land, and another reason no one has mentioned is that skyscrapers/cities are being built to attract foreign capital.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
To increase the value of land.

Of course, instead of going inward, people move upward so that we can fake land prices as well. People could like this as well because the closer they are to cities, the more they can buy their Jimmy Choos, Manolo Blahniks and Christiane Loboutins.

Though it doesn't make sense why.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
coz they can afford it??....

·
17,439 Posts
I think it starts when Mahathir built the Petronas tiwn tower.
The high-rise trend isn't influenced by Petronas nor by Mahatir. In fact major cities in East Asia such as HK, Shanghai and even Taipei have planned supertalls way before Petronas was planned.

HK was the first city in Asia to successfully construct a supertall and it still one of the most iconic scrapers in the world.

·
17,439 Posts
Lack of land?
High cost of land?
Demand for office space?

US cities are planned differently from Asian cities. High-rises in North America are mainly concentrated in the city centre or downtown and are less dense compared to its Asian counterparts.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
yeah ,i think the america city style and asia are different
america style is all the buildding in one place e.g. manila, new york, kuala lumpur, shanghai and jakarta
asia style the building are spread out , not all in one place e.g tokyo ,souel , taipei, bangkok
what do you prefer? for me i like american style

·
>>>GO>>>VIETNAM>>>
1,672 Posts
Do you prefer living in a condo or in a big house/villa?

I myself consider living in a villa to have a better quality. I would love to have a 1 or 2-floor house with a big garden where I can grow many kinds of flowers and trees. I also want a private swimming pool. If possible, a private lake where I can do boating and raise some fish for...fishing :lol:
I just don't want to live in some block of cements or glass.

Btw, if you look at the population density map, you will find out the reason why Asian cities are building so many tall buildings. We don't have enough land.
Link: http://www.jeffboulton.ca/BBB 4M1 Map - Population Density.jpg

There is also a big gap in level of developments, quality of life, hospitality, education... between cities and countryside areas in Asia. Therefore everyone wants to live in a big city and as close to the downtown as possible.

In developed countries, the gap is not too big. I can go to a very good school in a rural area (in fact, in the US, most of best colleges are in small or middle-size towns). If I have money, I can enjoy a luxurious life and buy everything I want online and they will be shipped to my front doors shortly.

In Asia, can this ever be possible? Nope. If you lived in a rural place and you had a million dollar, you can't have a good education and basically you can't buy anything expensive either. In my country (Vietnam), the best of everything goes to the big cities. The most beautiful flowers go to the city. And not to mention, the most beautiful girls go to the city ^^ Best colleges and hospitals are in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh city. These all drive everyone to cities like Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh city.

To sum up, in term of life quality, skyscrapers basically mean nothing. That's why developed countries don't care about high-rise.:)

But hey, we are here in the SSC so we love tall and huge buildings :banana:

·
17,439 Posts
yeah ,i think the america city style and asia are different
america style is all the buildding in one place e.g. manila, new york, kuala lumpur, shanghai and jakarta
asia style the building are spread out , not all in one place e.g tokyo ,souel , taipei, bangkok
what do you prefer? for me i like american style
KL, Manila, Jakarta and Shanghai have their skyscrapers spread out.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Do you prefer living in a condo or in a big house/villa?

I myself consider living in a villa to have a better quality. I would love to have a 1 or 2-floor house with a big garden where I can grow many kinds of flowers and trees. I also want a private swimming pool. If possible, a private lake where I can do boating and raise some fish for...fishing :lol:
I just don't want to live in some block of cements or glass.

Btw, if you look at the population density map, you will find out the reason why Asian cities are building so many tall buildings. We don't have enough land.
Link: http://www.jeffboulton.ca/BBB 4M1 Map - Population Density.jpg

There is also a big gap in level of developments, quality of life, hospitality, education... between cities and countryside areas in Asia. Therefore everyone wants to live in a big city and as close to the downtown as possible.

In developed countries, the gap is not too big. I can go to a very good school in a rural area (in fact, in the US, most of best colleges are in small or middle-size towns). If I have money, I can enjoy a luxurious life and buy everything I want online and they will be shipped to my front doors shortly.

In Asia, can this ever be possible? Nope. If you lived in a rural place and you had a million dollar, you can't have a good education and basically you can't buy anything expensive either. In my country (Vietnam), the best of everything goes to the big cities. The most beautiful flowers go to the city. And not to mention, the most beautiful girls go to the city ^^ Best colleges and hospitals are in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh city. These all drive everyone to cities like Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh city.

To sum up, in term of life quality, skyscrapers basically mean nothing. That's why developed countries don't care about high-rise.:)

But hey, we are here in the SSC so we love tall and huge buildings :banana:
Oh is that the reason why the developed and high living standard vietnam still does not (or should I say cannot) build skyscrapers like developing Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines and Malaysia ? The US is all we need to disprove your point.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts