SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lack of land?
High cost of land?
Low cost of labor and materials to build skyscrapers?
Demand for office space?
Foreign investment?

Why does say San Francisco, LA or Dallas not have a fraction of the construction?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
There is a demand for space!
...and with very limited space in the horizon there is no way but upwards!

... and they have the money to burn too!

:horse:

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
All of the above factors & more.

What more?

Rampant real estate speculation & overbuilding.

Its no different from we've seen in the US.

During the last East Asian collapse in the late 90s,
the development bubble burst big time,
Hong Kong, Bangkok, Jakarta were very hard hit.

Doing be surprised at all when the bubble bursts again, its just a matter of time.

·
Banned
1,544 Posts
Well, probably for a number of reasons. But the first important thing to note is that skyscraper construction largely stopped in the three cities you mentioned in the 1980s. I mean, when is the last time LA had a real new skyscraper? It hasn't had one.

The biggest reason so many skyscrapers are being built in Asia right now is the red hot economy. Regional developers have money, business have money, foreign companies are investing money in the region, and western developers are looking for places to expand their business. In Shanghai and Hong Kong many of the new skyscrapers have been built solely on foreign cash. In many cases it's a company building a new headquarters for the region, or companies buying smaller amounts of space in larger projects. Part of the reason foreign companies are going to Asia in the first place is they can get more bang for their buck. Building a skyscraper costs a lot less right now in many Asian cities then it does it North America. The labor, materials, and land costs are a lot less. Businesses want to build something impressive and make their mark on the region, so they build a skyscraper.

Part of the other reason is because building skyscrapers is a fad right now in Asia. It's the "in" thing. Cities are competing with each other for stature, particularly in China and South Korea. All of them want the businesses and investment, that's why were seeing supertall towers going up in places you've probably never heard of. Every city wants to put itself on the map, and get in on the action. In some cases there is a need for office space, that is true. Like in Shanghai. And in China some cities are planning for future growth in the Chinese economy. Banks and investors are making investments for the future. It's cheap to build skyscrapers right now, so why not build them? Everyone is doing it, so why not do it too?

One of the most interesting things, I think, is that westerners are designing or working on a good majority of these projects. I don't believe that is just because Asians wanted the expert builders in the world. They want their cities to look American. And usually when the world thinks of America they think of large cities with lots of skyscrapers. And they know that the more familiar westerners are with their cities, the more likely they are to invest in them.

Now in Asia and in the Middle East some of the huge developments going up are planned out, where the larger skyscrapers are being paid for by smaller developments near by. And they can do that because they are trying to put huge rural populations into cities for the first time. They need places for people to live, and by building skyscrapers in the developments it ensures that their development will be successful and attractive to people and to businesses. Those kinds of developments will probably never happen here in the United States. Our population is already modernized, and it grows modestly. We slowly accommodate over time to the growing population. In Asia many people have never lived in a city before.

Going forward, I would say it’s corporate and private investment that will be fueling any new skyscrapers in the United States. It’s not like the money isn’t there to build skyscrapers here, because there are many companies that have the potential to do so. Like Microsoft, Google, and Apple. Companies that make billions of dollars every year, a supertall tower would be a drop in the bucket for them. In fact in New York that has happened with the banks. Goldman Sachs and Bank of America recently built new headquarters. BUT you have to realize we don’t have a land problem here, Microsoft and Google can build their expensive sprawling campuses no problem. And as far as future expansion and development goes for those companies, the sprawling campuses make a lot more sense than the supertall skyscraper does. You know, Comcast recently built their new headquarters in Philadelphia, and I visited there a few weeks ago. It’s an absolutely beautiful building and the tallest in Philadelphia at 300m, but it’s already too small for Comcast.

·
starwar
6,147 Posts
huge population lives in city centers.chinese city has small sprawl, but huge city center(maybe called downtown eara in ENGLisH).
shanghai has 10 million, medium sized chinese city has 1.5-3 million ,while US cities city center has less population,1.5million is a huge city for USA(it is said that LA only has 1.5million in city center),huger population lives in surburb.

·
Banned
1,544 Posts
huge population lives in city centers.chinese city has small sprawl, but huge city center(maybe called downtown eara in ENGLisH).
shanghai has 10 million, medium sized chinese city has 1.5-3 million ,while US cities city center has less population,1.5million is a huge city for USA(it is said that LA only has 1.5million in city center),huger population lives in surburb.
But that deals with land, I don't think this is so much about population. New York has 10 million people and has more skyscrapers than Shanghai.

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Lack of land?
High cost of land?
Low cost of labor and materials to build skyscrapers?
Demand for office space?
Foreign investment?

Why does say San Francisco, LA or Dallas not have a fraction of the construction?
for small and high density city like HK and Singapore, skyscraper is the only option. land price become high as land ratio become smaller and and developer/building owner need to maximise profit.

HK, Singapore, Tokyo and Shanghai also regarded as business hubs for asia and many MNC has their office there. so, they need space for that....vertically....a lot!

other cities like Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Jakarta eventho has a lot of land yet to be developed, the city council or authority already planned a special site or pointed certain area in the middle of the city to be a business hub for those respected cities. this is to ensure better connection and amenities for those business owners.

same thing happen to some european cities....Canary Wharf in London and also Frankfurt....a special site as business hub.

while Dubai, Doha and other MidEast i still don't understand the need for them to build mega and insanely super tall highrise....other than national pride. no other reasons.

low cost construction materials? no such thing!

·
starwar
6,147 Posts
But that deals with land, I don't think this is so much about population. New York has 10 million people and has more skyscrapers than Shanghai.
now,most chinese love urban life, the land price higher close to city centers.so population squezzed into city center. so a lot of skyscrapers demanded.

·
Banned
1,544 Posts
now,most chinese love urban life, the land price higher close to city centers.so population squezzed into city center. so a lot of skyscrapers demanded.
Yes, I know that. But that does not necessarily mean more skyscrapers. New York has the same population as Shanghai, but has more skyscrapers. Shanghai has a lot more land than New York City does.

·
Mind Reader
3,535 Posts
Yes, I know that. But that does not necessarily mean more skyscrapers. New York has the same population as Shanghai, but has more skyscrapers. Shanghai has a lot more land than New York City does.
Shanghai has more hi-rises than NYC.

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
In east Asia is largely due to demand and land constraints that dense increasingly growing and wealthy cities require. In west Asia/Gulf the reasons why are more a mystery on the question of how much is top down ambition or demand driven.

·
starwar
6,147 Posts
you explain your question by yourslef
DOWN TOWN population:
NYC>CHICAGO>la
SKYSCRAPERS:
NYC>CHICAGO>LA

·
Banned
1,544 Posts
you explain your question by yourslef
DOWN TOWN population:
NYC>CHICAGO>la
SKYSCRAPERS:
NYC>CHICAGO>LA
Yes, but...

POPULATION:
New York = Shanghai
LAND:
New York < Shanghai
SKYSCRAPERS:
New York > Shanghai

It's about land, not population. Yes, I already explained myself. You said higher population lead to more skyscrapers, but that's not always true. Depends on the land.

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
What standard are you using to contrast the area of NYC and Shanghi? Similar to population the area size of the metro is more important then what lays within the official city limits. Given that it is a rather far bet then the NYC is much more sprawled and decentralized then the Shanghi metro.

·
starwar
6,147 Posts
Yes, but...

POPULATION:
New York = Shanghai
LAND:
New York < Shanghai
SKYSCRAPERS:
New York > Shanghai

It's about land, not population. Yes, I already explained myself. You said higher population lead to more skyscrapers, but that's not always true. Depends on the land.
if you define"skyscraper" 200m+, that's another story. why NYC has more 200m+ than shanghai? that's culture.TOKYO has more population, but has less 200m+,that's culture.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts