SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those of you that live in NYC, what is it that keeps you there? I mean, despite all the people, the traffic, the noise, the pollution, the crime, and the astronomical cost of living....what are the things that keep you there?

I have never been to The City before, but am rethinking the possibility of psending some time there...either by gradschool or internship (which could in turn lead to full time work). The thing I like about it is it's a pedestrian's paradise. It's a huge city so I think that's a bit intimidating but I think I'd get over it after a while. Crime and stuff, I'm not that worried about because I do know it's gotten a lot better in the last several years.....also, I'm not one to be out late and whatnot so I would hope nt to find myself in any sticky situations. The thing that does scare me a bit is the cost of living.

I just want to know, why do YOU NYers, decide to remain NYers? Whats a good salaray to make in order to live...though not in luxury, at least comfortably and healthily in a safe and quiet area? Will any of you NYers EVER consider leaving The City? Has anyone here adopted NYC as their own after living in other cities/states?

Just interested to see what you have to say.

·
Banned
1,658 Posts
It's really not polluted, and the whole crime thing is just a massive stereotype.
Most people stay because its the epicenter of all arts and whatnot.

·
Lurker
1,816 Posts
i've been here my whole life and don't know anything else. i don't want to be anywhere else either, after seeing how whack suburbs and smaller american cities are.

·
Deacon Blues
773 Posts
Goldie84 said:
Whats a good salaray to make in order to live...though not in luxury, at least comfortably and healthily in a safe and quiet area?
I'd say that with 60k/year you could get all that in a small studio or 1 bedroom apartment. Many people share apartments too. It all depends on your personal taste for housing.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Well... being that I grew up in NYC and moved to Orlando for 3 years... then came back... I'm probably a good authority on what brings us back to NY.

I did not know how different the rest of the country truly is until I lived away from here. And in the end, people like me want to live here because we want to step out of our homes and get smack right into the mix. We thrive on that and many of us only know that style. We want to walk to the corner store. We want to say hello to the people around us while we walk to the train. We want to ride a subway with 100 other people. You know that concert feeling of excitement? Well, we enjoy that on a daily basis just by getting up and walking outside.

I lived in Orlando and you know... suburb after suburb just doesn't cut it for me. I hate walking out my house knowing that I have to drive everywhere. And you know, most of the country is suburb or country... unless you go to a big city. And even then, nothing is as big as NY. Miles and miles of endless store fronts in every direction and like less then a foot away from each other. Towers that are soooo high and amazing, Culture that took centries to develope. And to know that your walking through it and seeing it for yourself... This is just the place to be!

Now, there are problems... but there are problems anywhere. And in the end, there's always a tradeoff. And in the end, the tradeoffs for living in this place is so worth it! Thats my 2 cents...

·
17,416 Posts
I'm not from NY but it's the vibrancy, diversity, culture and lifestyle. NY is one of the top alpha world cities and is very international. Those who live there or are born or raised are proud enough to be New Yorkers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I still hole a grudge for against my mother for leaving NYC before I was born.....(kidding of course).

Words can not describe the way I feel about NYC. This is the city of all cities. Everything from the culture, excitement and everything else it has to offer. I was born in RI but grew up in Los Angeles area. With out turning this into a NYC vs LA thread, I will just say I take NYC for many reasons....and I hate cold weather.

The traffic, noise and pollution all ads to the excitement of the city and crime is constantly going down. NYC is no longer the NY of the 70s-early 90s as far as crime goes. I have been on the train many times late at night 2-3-4-5 am and I personally have never had a problem. I have been lost in Brooklyn at 11p when I tried to walk from Brighton Beach to Bayridge with out a problem (I was looking for a club..haha). Like those in the west brag about, our beaches, hiking, camping, are all an hour and a half away.

The cost of living can be rough, but it is worth every dime. You would do fine on 40-45k (what many NYC teachers make and live alone) if you are willing to live outer borough or uptown-I pay $1000 for a one bedroom in Washington Heights (I have a few friends who are swinging 30-35k and living alone, which requires watching your budget very close. It takes me 30-40 mins to get to work on 23rd from 191st and 25-35 mins to get home. If you are to choose Washington Heights, dont pay attention to the stay west of broadway to be safe because it is BS. I almost lost out on my apartment which is 700sf and newly renovated because I nearly bought into that advice which I got off of craigslist. Having lived here in east, growing up on west and college in midwest, I have come to the conclusion I will never leave this city.

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
Goldie84 said:
To those of you that live in NYC, what is it that keeps you there? I mean, despite all the people, the traffic, the noise, the pollution, the crime, and the astronomical cost of living....what are the things that keep you there?
pollution? traffic? crime? you sure youre talkin about NYC?

traffic here i dont think makes the top 10 list.

or pollution....

or crime.....

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
WANCH said:
I'm not from NY but it's the vibrancy, diversity, culture and lifestyle. NY is one of the top alpha world cities and is very international. Those who live there or are born or raised are proud enough to be New Yorkers.

haha, WANCH you know damn well the world would be a boring place withtout New York and its New Yorkers. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's funny to me that you talk about graffiti, or the lack of it, when you talk about how New York has improved on its crime situation. To me, graffiti seems like the least serious of the crime problems possible. Which neighborhoods have escaped the detrimental aspects of gentrification while still maintaining culture and diversity? Maybe some neighborhoods in Queens?

I also have a kind of related question about NYC. Do New Yorkers really prefer the subway over having cars? What I mean is, are the negatives of owning a car really strong enough to overcome the convenience of having one? For example, I'm from the Bay Area and I visit San Francisco a lot, which is known for having better than average public transportation, at least for the US, and I think it's adequate for visiting and hitting some tourist spots, but when it comes down to it, I think that if I were to live there it would still be more convenient to own a car, even if I would take public transportation as well. What do you New yorkers feel? Is the subway system good enough so that not owning a car is the obvious choice? What about if you want to buy groceries or have a lot of stuff to lug around? What about late at night after a night of drinking, do you find that you ride the subway more or just take a cab? I'm curious because I too am thinking about grad school in NYC as well as DC and Boston and Philly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
YES YES YES.....take it from a person who lived in the car crazed society of LA. THE TRAIN SYSTEM FAR OUT WAYS HAVING A CAR. I am sooooooooooo happy I dont need a car to get around. The gas prices are going up---I dont care, it does not directly effect me. No insurance to worry about, no car payment, parking (parking is a BIAAATCH), no oppisite side of the street parking on certain days.

The trains and buses run to tourist spots. Unless the trains are being worked on, they run about every 5-8 mins in day (unless you are waiting for the G) and evry 10-20 at night.

If you feel you will have that many groceries to carry and you do not have a little store around the corner, there are taxis or you can buy a little cart to push.

After drinking I always take the trains home....as stated above I have NEVER had a problem. One time...well a couple actually... I passed out from drinking to much and from the Christopher st stop, I ended up at the 242nd stop the last stop in the bronx-I would not recomend that. If you go with friends, you can always just split taxi fare home if you really do not feel like putting up with trains (which some lines are very crowded at night).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the input yall.

·
122,006 Posts
Down with Crime, Up with New York
28 December 2005
New York Daily News

And so, the phenomenon continues. And for this, we have the New York City Police Department, New York's Finest, heroes and heroines in blue, to thank - with a nod also to all New Yorkers who have done their part to help anti-crime efforts.

The annual crime tallies are virtually complete, and topping the list is yet another citywide decline in murders. A 5.5% decrease from the same period last year. The tally was 559 versus 528 thus far this year.

Now, there may some outlanders who live on desert islands where coconut theft is a rarity and who gasp at the thought of 528 murders in a given year. We agree, it is 528 too many. But all things are relative. And this number we relate to the record 2,245 slayings the city racked up in 1990. Back in the day, such a number was not enough to greatly shock. Yes, we wrung our collective hands. But shocked we were not. Crime-ridden New York had become more or less numb.

Not, though, the NYPD, which vowed to turn things around. Steadily, year by year, the numbers were reduced. Overall, the 2005 murder total, compared with 1,946 in 1993, represents a 12-year drop of 72%. One would call it miraculous, except it is not a miracle; it is the result of damned good police work, and the courage of officers who put their lives on the line daily.

Indeed, crime this year has dropped in all major categories except one, robbery, and even there it is up just a sliver, .8%, with 23,948 robberies in '05 compared with 23,746 in '04.

Tragically, though, some New Yorkers are showing a propensity for becoming a bit more pistol-happy (or automatic-happy or . . .). Citywide, there was a 3.2% increase in shooting incidents (1,508 compared with 1,461) and a 3% hike in the number of shooting victims (1,808 versus 1,755). And in some precincts, murders were up, too.

But plans are already in the works to combat both scourges. As Commissioner Ray Kelly told this page not so long ago, the department will get a new class of recruits early in the new year, and most of them will be assigned to Operation Impact, the crime- busting strategy that has produced huge results. Soon enough, the new cops will be flooding trouble-prone neighborhoods to extend the NYPD's long and remarkable success in making the city safer.

It can be done.

The city, and its cops, have already proved it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
dougmatic said:
I also have a kind of related question about NYC. Do New Yorkers really prefer the subway over having cars? What I mean is, are the negatives of owning a car really strong enough to overcome the convenience of having one? For example, I'm from the Bay Area and I visit San Francisco a lot, which is known for having better than average public transportation, at least for the US, and I think it's adequate for visiting and hitting some tourist spots, but when it comes down to it, I think that if I were to live there it would still be more convenient to own a car, even if I would take public transportation as well. What do you New yorkers feel? Is the subway system good enough so that not owning a car is the obvious choice? What about if you want to buy groceries or have a lot of stuff to lug around? What about late at night after a night of drinking, do you find that you ride the subway more or just take a cab? I'm curious because I too am thinking about grad school in NYC as well as DC and Boston and Philly.
Well I live in Boston, not NYC, but I am a huge fan of the subway here. I can get to my job in about 10 minutes on the T. By not owning a car alot of stress is taken away (like finding a place to park it).

·
Registered
385 Posts
hkskyline said:
The days when the graffiti-covered subways ploughed through the tunnels are long gone.
Not really. I took a subway from a Yankee game and it was covered in graffiti. Most of the subways in the Bronx are nasty.

·
Lurker
1,816 Posts
mid-town said:
Not really. I took a subway from a Yankee game and it was covered in graffiti. Most of the subways in the Bronx are nasty.
those are small time tags and etches. he means top to bottoms and burners.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts