Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Panama Canal aside, which of the above is most attributable to this vital Central American nation? In short, what's Panama's biggest "Claim to Fame?" Again, you're challeged not to mention the great waterway.

*U. S. 1989 military incursion.
**Actually originated in Ecuador.
***Along with "Colombian Gold" a favorite among the pot smokers of the early 70's.
****CBS' hit "reality" show shot on Panamanian soil for the 3rd. time.
*****Movie based on John LeCarre's novel of the same name, shot in Panama City.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
^^
That's the only thing I know from Panama too. But I know it has a lot of jungles and many twins in the skyline of Panama. And it used to be part of Columbia!

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
the canal is the only thing i know...

·
17,944 Posts
How about Noriega? This guy has been one of the most infamous dictators to rule Panama and the country became a centre of drug trade during his rule. I'll say it's Operation: "Just Cause"

·
Registered
249 Posts
it's a Van Halen song...JESUS CHRIST, DEAR LORD GOD IN HEAVEN GIVE ME STRENGTH TO ENDURE THESE INFIDELS!!!! Pan-a-ma-a-a-a-a-a. Panama! *kick*

·
"Hands of Stone"
3,633 Posts
The thread/poll-starter prefaced her question by saying "The Panama Canal aside" and posted a 10-item poll that did not include the great waterway. This meant that the Panama Canal is a given as the country's primary "Claim to fame." (In fact, there are people in this world who assume that "Panama" is only a canal.) I expected subscribers to this forum (Travel & Geography) to have a higher level of sophistication than the "average joe" who would cite the canal despite the caveat and other poll options.

That aside, I hereby submit the order in which the poll options are currently associated with Panama, in the United States:

1-Survivor: Panama - Exile Island
2-Opertation: "Just Cause"
3-The Panama Hat
4-Tropical Rainforest
5-Banana Export (Chiquita)
6-"Panama Red" Cannabis
7-Geographical Location
8-The Tailor of Panama (book/movie)
9-Panama City Skyline

10-International Banking Center

·
Resurrected
25,560 Posts
For sure first by the canal.

I think in the meantime nearly everyone knows that the Panama Hat didn't originate from there ;)

Then I would say the skyline of Panama City and especially the geographic location. Most of the people couldn't point out Guatemala or Nicaragua but definitly Panama if they know a bit about this region :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
"The panama canal - sorry" ????? hat makes me laugh. umm... i'd have to say "Sorry, you forgot the most obvious and blatant thing that everyone in the world knows about and completely assiciates with Panama (in the eyes of many ignorant americans, it as another 3rd world country with a canal)"...unless of course you did that on purpose. i have patience for that. :)

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
^Zwandelust said "Try to avoid the canal", in her first post.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.