SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
~ Mysterious Entity ~
5,313 Posts
Hmm, that would be interesting. I wonder if anyone knows a good source for such info?

I have also tried to find out the value of Canada's metropolitian areas' economies. I have I've spent hours looking with no sucess. Can I get a little help?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I think this is the info you are both looking for! It is a little sloppy just learning about the scanner now!

·
~ Mysterious Entity ~
5,313 Posts
That's really interesting, thanks. What book is that? Wouldn't mind tracking down a copy.

·
2,416 Posts
Fasinating. There is a ton of information in that chart.

Toronto has more people per household than Montreal (check out the Retail sales). Torontonians also seems to spend one of the smallest %ages of their income in retail stores on a per capita basis (20% of the countries income but 15% of the countries retail sales).

Edmonton, Red Deer and Orillia either have a ton of shoppers as tourists, or they really enjoy shopping.

The population growth %ages are interesting too. Toronto followed closely by Calgary, followed by Barrie and Oshawa (for large cities). Is Wood Buffalo in Alberta?

A few interesting abberations in the 30 to 100k population sizes both for salary and spending. Must be mining or energy towns of some kind.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The population growth %ages are interesting too. Toronto followed closely by Calgary, followed by Barrie and Oshawa (for large cities).
Most of Toronto's growth is in the surrounding cities (ie. Mississauga/Brampton). One problem with how StatsCan works is by using CMAs instead of by actual individual city.

For most of the 90's and early 00's Mississauga was the fastest growing city in Canada (both %age and in real numbers) Brampton I believe has taken over that title the %age title but I think Mississauga is still holding on to the actual number growth title though, but not for long cause Brampton is growing like a skinny kid on steroids.

Mississauga is the 6th largest city in Canada now (7th according to 2001 census but growth (about 80,000 people) has put it's population at around 695,000, while Winnipeg's was only about 40,000). Actually, it's larger than Vancouver.

Brampton is 16th in Canada, but I know its population has tipped 400,000 but because all of the cities slightly ahead of Brampton form the 2001 census are experiencing rapid growth too, I can't make an educated guess of its size right now.

Btw, Wood Buffalo is in Alberta. It's the largest city in Canada by land size (68,454 km²) which is due to its large amount of oil sands and forests, which have help, make it one of the largest in industrial growth in Canada.

·
2,416 Posts
Actually, it's larger than Vancouver.
Bullcrap. Just because some idiot drew a line in the sand with the assumption no city would grow doesn't mean you blindly follow their assumption. I suppose you will also claim that Toronto grew by nearly 500% in '98.

CMA numbers often make the most sense (normally -- Oshawa should be part of Toronto).

Mississauga is a slice of the Toronto pie -- just as the City of Toronto is a slice.

·
Briareos Hecatonchires
947 Posts
Interesting thing about CAs...

Wood Buffalo is the municipality that includes Fort McMurray.

I'd say Wood Buffalo is much closer to about 70-75K, because Fort Mac just recorded over 60,000 people in its 2005 Census.

Red Deer has about 80,000 within city limits - over the 71,500 listed in the CA list.

While Grande Prairie is not on the list, it may well be the next to do so, because it's by now about 45,000 and will hit 50,000 within a couple of years and about 60,000 by 2010. It's the 2nd fastest growing city in Canada under 100K.

Sounds like they really underestimated some cities!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
rbt said:
Bullcrap. Just because some idiot drew a line in the sand with the assumption no city would grow doesn't mean you blindly follow their assumption. I suppose you will also claim that Toronto grew by nearly 500% in '98.

CMA numbers often make the most sense (normally -- Oshawa should be part of Toronto).

Mississauga is a slice of the Toronto pie -- just as the City of Toronto is a slice.
I'm just saying though, if someone from London or Paris or something looked up actual satistics for cities, they'd see Mississauga ahaed of Vancouver.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I think everyone knows that these population figures are just estimates. Of course the proper statistics are from Stats Canada but of course they are only out every five years. To give a better understanding for those of you who are unsure about populations I will give you an example of Nanaimo.

Population is a interesting topic. Like many things there can be more than one answer for such a simple question!
Statistics Canada does a census every five years 2001 being the last census year that count was 73,000 people for the city of Nanaimo.
Now there are three differant counts for population for Nanaimo the city proper or city center. There is also the census agglomeration. In larger cities with 100,000 in there city proper it is called a census metropolitian area. These stats are based on communter patterns places such as Lantzville whose population has a direct impact on the city of Nanaimo but is not included in the actual city proper counts. In 2001 the agglomeration for Nanaimo was 85,664

Lastly there is the Nanaimo regional district which contains Nanaimo Parksville and Qualicum with a count of 127,000 people in 2001.

The info was from the FP( Financial Post) Markets Canadian Demographics 2005. I would check your local Library for this in the referance section it is very good with all sorts of details about each community.

This will give you an example of the info this is for Kitchener.
http://www.city.kitchener.on.ca/pdf/fast_facts.pdf

For those who enjoy statistics I recommend it!
This comes out each year about December or January I have found it as early as October one year so even though it says July 31st 2005 It comes out much earlier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.