• Royal Bafokeng Stadium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Loftus Versveld Stadium

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
I just loooove the Moses Mabhida stadium. I love the edgy design, the setting, lighting, everything. Secondly, the Nelson mandela bay one came as a surprize, but I like it. Greenpoint is growing on me, it will have such a mayor visual impact on the area. And the Calabash rocks, if the final design looks anything like the render.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Ellis Park, Soccer City, Peter Mobaka and Green point are quite nice, but the Moses Mabhida Stadium caught my fancy:)

·
23,157 Posts
^^ hehe true.

As for me, i love the moses mabhida stadium, not merely for the design, but for the fact that it will also offer 9000m2 of retail space, a cableway over the arch and the flexibility to change sizes.

However i also like the Greenpoint stadium design. it looks very similar to the durban one, just without the arch (same design houses). Soccer city will be great IF they keep the calabash design, otherwise it will be forgetable imo.

of the smaller stadia, the one that stands out the most is the PE one, but i love the coloured seats on the royal bofokeng one...

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
^^ hehe true.

As for me, i love the moses mabhida stadium, not merely for the design, but for the fact that it will also offer 9000m2 of retail space, a cableway over the arch and the flexibility to change sizes.

However i also like the Greenpoint stadium design. it looks very similar to the durban one, just without the arch (same design houses). Soccer city will be great IF they keep the calabash design, otherwise it will be forgetable imo.

of the smaller stadia, the one that stands out the most is the PE one, but i love the coloured seats on the royal bofokeng one...
the royal bafokeng peoples have yet to reveal their final plan which thye are apparently funding on their own. Prob just more seats, but some sort of roof would be welcome..the area around the stadium needs tons of work though.

·
23,157 Posts
why they paying by themselves? surely they would want some government funding?

What is the town like anyway??

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
the royal bafokeng peoples have yet to reveal their final plan which thye are apparently funding on their own. Prob just more seats, but some sort of roof would be welcome..the area around the stadium needs tons of work though.
I went to Royal Bafokeng stadium earlier this year while on visit to the Bafokeng palace (we had a meeting with them). The office building is a 5storey stunner - looks a lot like melrose arch in fact. the main road through phukeng is not that bad. dual carriageway in both directions. There is a small shopping centre next to the stadium, it even has cinema's.

The houses are a bit rundown - but I actually think this stadium will give international tourists another insight into africa. the swedes and french that travelled with me loved it! It is something they havent seen before.

And from up close, the stadium is quite nice. Actually very sexy. And the bafokeng have loads of money to splash.

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
The Bafokeng are one of the richest tribes in Africa (they say that they are the richest) due to platinum money - all the mines are on their ancestral grounds. They have a lot to spend. Phukeng is quite nice - very organised and as the main centre of the Bafokeng, they spend money to upgrade roads etc.

It is a township though, but I think this is something that appeals to foreign tourists. The Bafokeng palace and office complex is very very very impressive. Glass, aluminium, 5 storey atrium, waterfalls - business suits... quite intimidating actually. it feels as if you walk into a joburg office. And it is quite weird seeing this building in a rural township setting.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Ellis Park is an Architectural Masterpiece. The red, blue and grey make an imposing statement!:)

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Tbite; said:
Ellis Park is an Architectural Masterpiece. The red, blue and grey make an imposing statement!:)
One of my best stadiums, this is where South Africa won the 1995 Rugby World Cup, a moment that still remains in many South Africans minds as one of a kind. But for this vote, my choice is SoccerCity with its calabash!
:cheers:

·
Explore
2,864 Posts
Moses Mabhida, then Greenpoint, then PE (although I'm not sure it'll live up to that image).

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
My sentiments are virtually the same as Mike's (Dysan). Moses stadium easily the tops. I also like CT's for its elegance. PE is definitely the best of the smaller stadiums. Calabash look for Soccer City rocks but if those plans fail to materialise it drops off my radar.

·
Umhlanga
793 Posts
Durban's new stadium looks the best. But as for watching a match, give me Ellis Park. The history, the closeness, the steep stands. (Exactly what I love about King's Park and Newlands.)

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
My sentiments are virtually the same as Mike's (Dysan). Moses stadium easily the tops. I also like CT's for its elegance. PE is definitely the best of the smaller stadiums. Calabash look for Soccer City rocks but if those plans fail to materialise it drops off my radar.
what elegance?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts