SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm after a bit of advice from locals about what time is best for a NQ holiday.

I'm thinking of flying up to Cairns and spending a fortnight or so travelling down the coast.

Obviously I'd like to avoid wet weather, cyclones and flooding as much as possible - but also want to take advantage of longer days and when the sun is high in the sky.

Any recommendations on what months are best for dry conditions and longer days?

I'm not too fussed with the humidity...

Cheers

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
If you want to holiday in North Queensland (Anywhere), now is pretty much the time to do it all, the weather is usually sunny (might have the odd shower now and then), not too warm, not too cold, and winter is out of both monsoon and cyclone seasons. I would say anywhere between late May and early October would be the best time with your concerns in mind.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
The best time is right after the wet season, Its very green and cool around the region.

But I agree with Gertzy, Now is definitely the best time, its very dry but your getting sunshine everyday of the week.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - I might have to wait 12 months then as I don't have enough leave or money saved up yet :tongue2:

What time does the sun normally set for you guys in winter?

·
6,435 Posts
^^We've a bit further west so at the moment, with the winter solstice having just passed, sunrise in Townsville is 6:47am, sunset 5:46pm. Not like down there where its pretty much dark already when people leave the office.

But yeh winter is definately the time to come, like Burden said early dry would probably the best, around May. We've hardly had any winter this year, and the last few days have been quite hot. On Saturday it actually hit 30 degrees! Ridiculous. It's only dropped below 10 degrees on three mornings.

·
Premium member
10,012 Posts
Would never go in June, July to Northern Queensland. Its way too cold. Nights can go down to 5-10C and houses have generally no central heating. The most unpleasant time of the year IMO.

Best time IMO is April to May when its warm and everything still green but the rain is gone. Alternatively, September to November. Its dry and warm/hot but the landscape can be a bit brown. December is generally very hot and you might get massive thunderstorms before the monsoon starts. For me its the most interesting time of the year but not recommended if you don't like rain.

Also keep in mind, that box jelly fish (they kill you!) are present from October to April.

·
ﺕ
1,997 Posts
Easter is a good time, as it will be really green. But be aware of all the bogan family road-trippers from NSW that take over the statew on the school holidays.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Cairns is great now but it's packed and prices are up for the dry season. I was shocked to come back from Brisbane to see just how busy it was. Plus flights are always more during the holidays and then Cairns Central is also busy with kids plus the tourists. 25c to 15c are the temps for today so not to cold for you but it has been getting over 30c. Go north and it is still hot as in 33c in Weipa etc. There is still a little bit of moisture in the air.

It hasn't rained that much I think, it is starting to go brown by Cairns standards and it is a bit dusty. I'm sure the reef would be nice, I'm sure the water temp is around 24c most likely. Go to the outer reef if you can or Fiztroy Island, inner reefs and Green Island is crap.

Last light is around 6:30pm at the moment.

Surely would would want a flood/cyclone experience on your next trip or is no road connections to the outside world for 2 weeks not for you :p

Here are two photos from today:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts