SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is population and development wise.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Development-wise, definitely Uptown. Other areas seeing significant development would be South End, Midtown, Dilworth, and South Park.

Population-wise, not sure; I'd probably say University City?

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It is great to see that the core is growing so fast. That is the most important thing that should occur in a metro area.

How about in the suburban areas?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think Rock Hill and York County is the fastest growing county in the Charlotte metro outside of Charlotte and the county it's in.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Metro wise it's Union County and York. York (Rock Hill) is currently trying to reclaim its name within Charlotte's MSA designation. Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill versa Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord. Suburban University City is a booming sprawl with a changing demographic, there's still some farm land and rural roads beyond Harris Blvd. Note, if University City was to be incorporated, it would be North Carolina's 5th largest city. Although the area of University City is broad, it also include part of Concord Mills and Lowes' Motor Speedway.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would say in terms of development, University City is booming, although a lot of the growth is in the form of strip malls and apartments, lol, I've never seen so many apartment complexes in one small area in my life.

Uptown is also is booming with all the new high rise and condo construction going on. I think their population will be 15,000 in the next few years. South End is going through transition, thinks in part to the light rail line. Dilworth, Elizabeth, and Midtown are also going through a similar revitilization process.

The area around I-485, particularly around Ballantyne, Stonecrest, and Providence Road which spills over into Union and Lancaster Co is also booming, although much of it's suburban.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Well if you are talking raw numbers...the fastest growing part of the Charlotte metro is Mecklenburg County....if you are talking growth rate...then Union County is the fastest.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
PrettyHairShawn said:
Metro wise it's Union County and York. York (Rock Hill) is currently trying to reclaim its name within Charlotte's MSA designation. Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill versa Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord.
With the way Rock Hill has been growing, I wouldn't be surprised to see it become the second largest municipality in the metro area within a few years. Gastonia's growth rate has basically been stagnant since 2000.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The fastest rate of growth in Mecklenburg County is the Huntersville/Cornelius area which has seen 1400% growth in the past 10 years. The most growth in raw numbers of people added has occured in the University area of Charlotte.

·
Registered
659 Posts
...almost everywhere the new rail system will have stations. I think Huntersville has something like 5000 units approved / under review at its rail stations.

·
Registered
686 Posts
spencer114 said:
The waistline is the fastest growing part of Charlotte.

From 2005 Men's Health Magazine (Fattest & Fittest Cities). Personally, I think the only thing that matters is how FAT or FIT you are. Who comes up with this stuff....anyway, time to hit the gym.

Top 25 Fattest
2005 Ranking Last year
1. Houston 2
2. Philadelphia 7
3. Detroit 1
4. Memphis 20
5. Chicago 5
6. Dallas 3
7. New Orleans 22
8. New York 21
9. Las Vegas 16
10. San Antonio 4