SkyscraperCity banner

What is the health status of Detroit proper?

• Thriving, bustling, growing

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • good, maintaining status

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • room for improvement-nothing too bad

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • ailing, losing ground

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • losing ground, and bloody fast

Votes: 3 11.1%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering everything from favorable demographics and job growth to residential/commercial development and crime rates, what would all of you say the overall health for Detroit proper is?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[
PHP:
QUOTE=ReddAlert]whats up with your sig??[/QUOTE]
I have lived in AZ pretty my life and I just recently moved to phx. I grew up in Flagstaff. But I am apalled by all these "seniors" moving into my state. They bring with them their Evangelical Christian views and their horrible driving. They get ahold of municipal governments and go wild. Most of AZ was not even born here, yet they govern those of us who were. If you ask me, This state is f***ed up now, kinda like Cali.

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
no I mean the part with Wisconsin and Kansas. It sounds like it is a right/left wing issue. I can assure you that Wisconsin is a liberal breeding ground.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Detroit is a little of all you listed:

thriving/bustling...it always has. Not really growing though. The core is becoming more "normal" urban, and there is evidence of a spurt in infill, but that's really as far as I would go in trems of growth.

good/maintain status...of course.

There's room for improvement ALWAYS!

Ailing/losing ground. In some respects. Detroit has the worst economy in the country right now, but aside from that, the refound city is making valiant efforts in vibrancy and attraction.

So, I wouldn't really say any one of your options to choose from is most accurate. One thing I can say though, is that to truely appreciate what Detroit is, the best way to do that is by visiting. You and I could talk about it all we want, and I could never be able to accurately describe the situation. It's something that has to be experienced. There is such a conflict of interest around every single corner in Detroit that it makes you say, "DETROIT IS GREAT" or "DETROIT IS BAD"...You have to discover it for yourself, and once you do, I think that you'll find a certain fascination about the place in that it is unlike any other city I have ever been to, and I'm sure you would feel the same. That's why it is difficult to just talk about.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
It's improving, showing signs of potential, but it's still in horrible shape, ailing, and it's still losing ground, just not as fast. I hope good things happen to Detroit, but room for improvement, nothing to bad just seems like too much of an understatement for me to pick.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I picked room for improvement, the middle there. Although it has got a long ways to go, as we all know, although the city is probably a lot better than it was 5 years ago, particularly downtown. There is still A LOT of room for improvement though. I, too, hope good things for this city and its people and history.

·
Banned
795 Posts
Michi said:
Detroit is a little of all you listed:

thriving/bustling...it always has. Not really growing though. The core is becoming more "normal" urban, and there is evidence of a spurt in infill, but that's really as far as I would go in trems of growth.

good/maintain status...of course.

There's room for improvement ALWAYS!

Ailing/losing ground. In some respects. Detroit has the worst economy in the country right now, but aside from that, the refound city is making valiant efforts in vibrancy and attraction.

So, I wouldn't really say any one of your options to choose from is most accurate. One thing I can say though, is that to truely appreciate what Detroit is, the best way to do that is by visiting. You and I could talk about it all we want, and I could never be able to accurately describe the situation. It's something that has to be experienced. There is such a conflict of interest around every single corner in Detroit that it makes you say, "DETROIT IS GREAT" or "DETROIT IS BAD"...You have to discover it for yourself, and once you do, I think that you'll find a certain fascination about the place in that it is unlike any other city I have ever been to, and I'm sure you would feel the same. That's why it is difficult to just talk about.

wow, you said it better than me. Check out my post on my visit in the coming to detroit thread.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well, I live here. I've been able to formulate a standard for the condition of what Detroit is. I criticize it every day, and the best thing I can do is be honest. As unbiased as I can possibly make it, Detroit is both in good condition and bad. Moreso good than bad though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts