Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went to Horniman Gardens. Near there is a road called Ringmore, my guess is it's the highest view point. I didn't remember the name of the road but I did remember going through it, so I went to find it today.

As I knew that my friends were either working or at Uni or at the download festival I knew I had nothing to do during the last day as an 18 year old. I just thought "F*** it, I'm not going to sit on my ass all day and do nothing. I'll do at least one thing that I love, look at the London skyline and whilst I'm at it I'll take pictures" Went to Hornimans then went to the hightest point which is Horniman Drive, I swear that must be the highest place in London, maybe not view point, houses and trees block any views, but most certanly where to live, some nice houses there as well. Anyway, heres a pic I took on Ringmore Road SE23, Forest Hill.

Didn't come out brilliantly, I'll most probably take it again sometime, when it's sunny, but when standing there it is a great view.

Anyway, is it here or Primrose Hill?

·
Futurist
38,766 Posts
Ah yes, next to Canonbie Road.

I was up there just recently, on the 7th floor of a tower block that's accessible to anyone.

I took a pano composed of 17 pics... which I'm using for a 2012 rendering. :cool:

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Thinking about it, it most probably is. I can't believe I didn't think about there.
I do hope the masterplan for the park has some kind of structure for the top of the hill. It would only need to be a few storeys & you would then have all of London laid out in front of you. The Wilkinson Eyre proposal wolud've been great.

·
Ouch
471 Posts
The Wikipedia entry for Shooters Hill says it is the highest point in London at 132m. Wikipedia says Crystal Palace is 109m high.

However I don't think wikipedia is entirely accurate as on the OS map of West London there is a point marked on Hampstead Heath that is 134m high. Also at Croham Hurst in Croydon there is a point marked 145m the OS map and near by is a trig point that is 164m high.

Edit: Under the wikipedia section on Greater London it says the highest point at Westerham Heights on the Kent border which is 245m high. I suppose Shooters hill is the highest point in Inner London whilst the other places are counted as Outer London.

·
Divemaster!
6,699 Posts
I took a pano composed of 17 pics... which I'm using for a 2012 rendering. :cool:
Ah, good stuff. I was wondering whether anything was still happening with that. How's it coming along...expected release date?? :)

·
Futurist
38,766 Posts
Ah, good stuff. I was wondering whether anything was still happening with that. How's it coming along...expected release date?? :)
I've barely started it. It's a mammoth project to be honest. Gonna take me a while. I might just do the City/LBT first and post that here, then do the rest. We're talking about 40-50 towers though...

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a definitive answer for you. The actual highest point in London is the edge of a field on the Bromley / Kent border southwest of Biggin Hill, on the shoulder of Botley Hill. Unfortuntely it's an entirely unremarkable spot. Grid ref TQ436564, height 804 ft (245m)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Ah Ringmore rise. I run along there quite often as it's such a gorgeous unbroken view from west to central-east. Dusk is the best time with all the lights just coming on. I'm always thinking I really should take a picture of this, but I'm running so......

I'll have to find that tower block wjfox, thanks for the tip.

·
On the bog
388 Posts
I have a definitive answer for you. The actual highest point in London is the edge of a field on the Bromley / Kent border southwest of Biggin Hill, on the shoulder of Botley Hill. Unfortuntely it's an entirely unremarkable spot. Grid ref TQ436564, height 804 ft (245m)
Thank you for pointing out London extends to the North Downs. What’s the highest point in the built up area by the way?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts