Zamość (UNESCO World Heritage Site)
Promotional Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFR4c0YZ_ok&hd=1

Warszawa (UNESCO World Heritage Site)

Gdańsk

Wrocław

Lublin

Poznań

Kazimierz Dolny
Promotional Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arYFYSvSD7U&context=C4370992ADvjVQa1PpcFN7tbiNcFArZ0VQUJboe8ANzg3WvHjFJS0=

·
Paris-the city beautiful
1,036 Posts
So much restoration going on in Poland its great to see the country throwing off it's communist past when so much damage was done in addition to the WW2 destruction. I have not visited all these cities so can't really answer your question, I would think Warsaw is the most interesting being the largest and capital of the country and then possibly Krakow is the most unspoilt but your photos have made me want to visit the country again and see more!

·
Banned
8,060 Posts
the question postulated by this thread is a difficult one to answer. Do we look at the totality of a city or just parts. There are few cities on earth that are perfect and beautiful in their entirety. Parts of Calgary even have some beauty, Montreal is very beautiful but many areas are run down, and also, is decay beautiful, maybe it is - look at the Forum Romanum, depends on your definition of beauty. But in the sense that is intended that is what are the most intact, beautiful urban compositions in Poland, I would say Krakow, Torun, Zamosc, Poznan, Wroclaw and I'm sure I'm missing many samller places like Kazimierz Dolny, Zbiecz, Bielsko-Bialo, Przemysl, Lublin, Gniew, Tczew, Chelmno, Pultusk, Gniezno etc. Warsaw in many parts is quite beautiful but because of the devastating war, there are large gaps in areas of great beauty - you have to use your imagination a little with Warsaw.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Well, I for one love Lublin.

panorama czwartek2 by ajuc00, on Flickr

It's very original city, built on the hills and in the valleys between them, it makes for great sights. Architecture is different in style from western Polish cities, it has special style called Lublin reneisance. And buildings are original, not rebuilt like in Warsaw, because Lublin wasn't destroyed much in WW2. And this city is not spoilt by tourists like Kraków. Regular people actually live in Lublins Old City. I live here so I might be not objective, but really - it's certainly worth visiting for a few days. This October our airport opens, feel invited :)

Each city has it's own specialty. Warsaw is the only city with modern skyline worth seeing in Poland.

Kraków has great medieval architecture and tourists from each corner of the world.

Kazimierz Dolny has great artsy atmosphere, the feeling of small quiet Jewish city with big artistic bohema, very unique combination that is worth seeing at least once. And Wisła river is very pretty there, flowing between the hills and castles of Kazimierz and nearby Janowiec.

Zamość is small and quiet, but has great renneisance buildings. Most of the city was designed by one architect as an ideal city, and it shows.

Toruń, Wrocław, Gdańsk, Poznań I only visited once each and just for a one day, and I like Toruń the most out of them, because it preserved medieval architecture the best. But these cities are similiar in their more Teutonic style. Gdańsk has great waterfront, and Wrocław lay on the islands connected by many bridges, which is nice, too.

It's the matter of what you like the most in cities.

·
przestrzeń-ludzie-miasto
7,939 Posts
Obvious trolling is obvious. He even included troll face.
Ok, but it's not what i mean. I mean, that everybody should can use their exonym or not. It can't be that, if Pole say "Lwów" is ok, but if German say "Danzig", there is indignation.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most beautiful cities in Poland (in my opinion, of course...):
1. Kraków - Poland's historic royal capital and as such, is steeped in rich Polish history and remarkably suffered no damage during WW2, meaning that all of its most beautiful medieval buildings and Renaissance architectural treasures remain well preserved.
2. Toruń - it is called 'Kraków of the North'. Toruń is the most Gothic urban complex in Poland, right after Kraków the second richest of original and best preserved historical monuments city in Poland.

Most beautiful Polish city before WW2:
Lwów - it has been a major Polish cultural and scientific center. The historical heart of Lwów with its old buildings and cobblestone roads has been placed on the UNESCO World Heritage list.

Best city reconstructions after WW2:
1. Warszawa (over 85% of the city was destroyed during WW2)
2. Gdańsk (over 90% of the Old Town was destroyed during WW2)

1 - 20 of 733 Posts