SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
Ones i can think of are the gherkin, Agbar tower in Barcelona, twisting tower in Malmo, Grand arch in La Defense, Palace of Culture in Warsaw, Messeturm (?) in Frankfurt, University building in Moscow, most likely the Gherkin is most famous now but in the future it would be the Shard i suspect.

·
L'enfant terrible
2,287 Posts
Gherkin, no doubt, but Shard might overtake it in a few years.

·
Open mind
1,143 Posts
None of them are really 'iconic' in my eyes.

If I had to choose one it would be the Shard come the end of this year due to all its media coverage before, during and after the Olympics.

·
ßANNED
4,234 Posts
The Palace of Science and Culture in Warsaw!

·
Registered Abuser
7,231 Posts
I dont understand why the Eiffel Tower does not count, as that is what I would of oppted for as well.

·
Registered
16,733 Posts
The same reason why people on here insist that Manchester has the tallest skyscraper outside of London and not Portsmouth, or that Birmingham has two over 100m not three.

They used to count, before the Canadians beat the USA with the CN Tower IIRC.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,749 Posts
None of them are really 'iconic' in my eyes.

If I had to choose one it would be the Shard come the end of this year due to all its media coverage before, during and after the Olympics.
My thoughts exactly. I can't think of any towers that I'd team as iconic. The only tall 'structure' that has any cred is the Eiffel for being of that high a status. Might be plenty of well known towers, but nothing on par with the ESB or Burj Khalifa

·
3,828 Posts
The Gherkin.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts