SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Seeking Affiliation
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys. I would want to know which city or urban area within the lower 48 states of the U.S. is the most sprawled in terms of the ratio between population and the sprawled built-up area's total land area?

In my opinion, great candidates would be:
(in no particular order)
Atlanta
Miami
Houston
Dallas-Fort Worth
Los Angeles (Southland)
Oklahoma City
Kansas City
New York (Tri-State Area)
Chicago-Milwaukee (Chicagoland)

·
/>>}WweX:AS<
177 Posts
not a coincidedence that all those cities, except for L.A., are in states that voted Bush in '04.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Miami doesn't have the geographic conditions to sprawl as the other cities that are listed here.

·
Registered
262 Posts
not a coincidence that of all those cities, 5 are in the top 10 fastest growing cities in the US and add more than 100,000 per year to their metro areas and lead the country in job growth.

my guess is Atlanta though, partially due to geography.

·
quacked
2,294 Posts
ive noticed detroit has ridiculous sprawl as well, despite not fitting in at all on that list (all southern)

·
Registered
86 Posts
There are trends too and IMO Atlanta has a viable and growing urban core. So it would, I think tend to be moving down that list of sprawl capitals over time. Where as many of those areas do not have much in the way of urban cores at all. So all growth in those areas in the future will be sprawl more or less.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hartford is more sprawled than Houston. It sounds stupid but taking the suburbs into consideration, I believe it. The suburbs in Houston that are 25 miles from downtown are of similar density to those that are 5 miles from dt. They build the buildings in suburban fashion, but close together.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Here are some pictures of the sprawl in Houston from a local development company. If anone has any pictures of suburban Atlanta or Hartford or anywhere else, this is a good way to compare.

18-19 miles from the CBD

and looking west near the edge of the development about 25 miles from downtown

·
Banned
195 Posts
I don't know, but I DO know that Miami seems to sprawl for MILES if you drive north up I-95. It's a very spread out city....everything seems so far apart.

·
181,726 Posts
Houston is huge... :eek:

LA is the largest metro area in the world... but i don't know if you're using only the city/county.. or also the metro area..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Los Angeles is the most sprawling. Phoenix is also a top candidate for this list.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
San Antonio tends to have a lot of sprawl once you go outside the CBD.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Without a doubt southern California is the most sprawled out metro in the US and I live in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area.

BTW, Dallas and Ft. Worth are 35 miles apart and the distance from the furthest western suburb (Weatherford) to the furthest eastern suburb (Terrell) is about 100 miles.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts