SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never heard so much hype about a city in my life. Every forum I go to, and not just at SkyscraperCity, there's some new thread about some mega project in Dubai. Nothing wrong with that, but I've always wondered if there just a bit too much megaphoning going on.

And then a friend of mine says that a lot of the buildings in Dubai are actually vacant. They were built, and now they sit there.

Can someone tell me if he was lying or is that a correct statement? If so, have developers in Dubai gone insane?

I really need some first-hand accounts on what is the truth about this.

·
21st century destination
605 Posts
Your friend has got his facts wrong. There is more demand than supply. All the hype about Dubai is due to it's location and out of this world projects. Other than that, it's just a normal city that is going through a construction boom and in the near future all the controversy will decrease as its construction boom comes to an end.

·
Banned
148 Posts
crazyeight said:
Your friend has got his facts wrong. There is more demand than supply. All the hype about Dubai is due to it's location and out of this world projects. Other than that, it's just a normal city that is going through a construction boom and in the near future all the controversy will decrease as its construction boom comes to an end.
Could you give me a source that back up your statement because i find it very hard to believe that theres a higher demand then supply in a small city like Dubai.

·
Registered
700 Posts
If you ask me, Dubai is to the people of today as what New York was to the people of the Industrial Revolution and early 20th Century. A booming dream city.

·
12,523 Posts
oskarj said:
Could you give me a source that back up your statement because i find it very hard to believe that theres a higher demand then supply in a small city like Dubai.
The simplest proof is a logical one... If your previous buildings are still lying vacant, why would you go on building new ones. And seeing the pace at which new projects are being announced every now and then, i would definitely believe that statement.

Even if we were to believe the builder of the tallest building is just doing it for fame, what about the dozens of other tower construction going on that are medium height skyscrapers.

·
Registered
31,846 Posts
deambulante said:
I have never heard so much hype about a city in my life. Every forum I go to, and not just at SkyscraperCity, there's some new thread about some mega project in Dubai. Nothing wrong with that, but I've always wondered if there just a bit too much megaphoning going on.

And then a friend of mine says that a lot of the buildings in Dubai are actually vacant. They were built, and now they sit there.

Can someone tell me if he was lying or is that a correct statement? If so, have developers in Dubai gone insane?

I really need some first-hand accounts on what is the truth about this.
If you really want a first-hand account, then you have to book your plane ticket and go (come) see it for your self. All the other talk is useless and serves no purpose.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
luv2bebrown said:
no idea. but water shortages are one of the more serious long-term issues facing the region

I was wondering about their water supply as well. I know that there is something called Dubai Creek but I'm not too sure how much water it produces. On another note, how does Dubai produce it's electricity? It's not like there is ample terrain to build a dam for renewable energy.

All questions aside, I'm glad to see Dubai grow like it is but I still want to quench my thirst for knowledge on how a desert/gulf city survives and thrives.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The basic principle to Dubai is that if they build, people will come. Ofcourse we will have to wait and see if thatll happen. But the location is very good, it can potentially become the center of trade between east asia and Europe.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
FM 2258 said:
I was wondering about their water supply as well. I know that there is something called Dubai Creek but I'm not too sure how much water it produces. On another note, how does Dubai produce it's electricity? It's not like there is ample terrain to build a dam for renewable energy.

All questions aside, I'm glad to see Dubai grow like it is but I still want to quench my thirst for knowledge on how a desert/gulf city survives and thrives.
dubai gets its electricity from oil as far as i know.
dubai creek is just an water inlet. kinda like a river-shaped bay i guess. it has nothin to do with water or energy production.

i know there are plans to build more desalination plants and new buildings are utilizing various green friendly technologies. but overall, Dubai consumes too much, and efforts are being undertaken to reduce its impact on the environment.

·
BANGKOK
13,339 Posts
SUNNI said:
The basic principle to Dubai is that if they build, people will come. Ofcourse we will have to wait and see if thatll happen. But the location is very good, it can potentially become the center of trade between east asia and Europe.
Will this bring a chaotic traffic jam , water shortage and so on.?

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.