Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
***Alexxx***
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is with all the unfinished housing developments?

One thing that I have noticed in Sheffield is that around the Prince of Wales Road area there seems to be quite a lot of places where the roads have been laid out and built, but then left and no houses built. Does anyone know what happened? I've never seen this in England before...

Here are some examples...

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.366264,-1.424639&spn=0.008835,0.030899&t=k&z=16

·
18,097 Posts
I know of some other areas like this in the country, they are kind of spooky, a bit post apocalyptic. Id imagine that either a scheme was stopped half way or the buildings were taken down and grassed over.

·
I'm in your woods
8,070 Posts
Yeah. Looking at those pictures, it looks like there used to be housing there and it's been demolished. The council have knocked down a lot of council housing in Sheffield over the last ten years, claiming there wasn't enough demand to justify keeping it. Now they're complaining there's a shortage of council housing.

·
E = MC²
5,551 Posts
IF you were to look at those areas 15 or 20 years ago they were full of similar council houses. This area in particular is/was a notorious area called the Manor. A poor working class area it really suffered from crime and drugs and some of the houses became delapidated due to the neglect of the residents. I have a mate who was once offered a house here from the council and he lasted half a night. What was happening in the neighbourhood scared him out of his wits and he found some men in his lounge smoking drugs in the middle of the night. From his account it appeared like a scene from trainspotting.
Eventually many of the houses when empty were stripped out by criminals who took all the plumbing for scrap and even the slates off the roof.
After years of this battle, the council eventually cleared large areas of all the large council estates in the city in an attempt to change the character. This is why the Manor and Parson Cross have so many grassed areas between the houses. It is some kind of method to make the housing less dense in an attempt to make the area more pleasent to live. By and large it seems to have worked.

Here I have made a comparison..
You can see where they have cleared the old 60 year old council housing and built new modern housing in some areas.

·
E = MC²
5,551 Posts
In many ways this is a mirror of what happend in some areas a generation earlier. We used to have some areas of really poor terraced housing and the council demolished whole blocks of the worst houses and converted them to grass to thin out the population.
These areas are less obvious now but you can still just about see the lines of the terraces in the curves of the terrain.
I think that Earl Marshall is one such example. This is now a park with footpaths where the streets used to be. This park has been there for decades.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Yep the notorious Manor estate in Sheffield, unfinished housing on inner city estates throughout the North is not exclusive to Sheffield and wildflowered meadows on these kind of brownfield sites are very common, Liverpool, Manchester all have their 'challenging' districts which need attention, as you can see though there has been lots of fantastic regenerated green spaces and 'relatively' good new houses built, but obviously there is still plenty more to do, in my second to last job I remember doing some consultation and the remaining tenants said they'd prefer wildflower sites instead of new houses!

More info here if you're interested http://www.cabe.org.uk/case-studies/manor-and-castle-green-estate?photos=true&viewing=7379

·
<Witty comment here>
3,961 Posts
These particular exposed wastelands had houses on them as recently as 2005.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
It's not just Sheffield. There are some areas of Barnsley that were cleared about 10 years ago (possibly longer in some areas) and the developers have now moved back in and plenty of new 3 and 4 bedroom houses are going up. I know Grimethorpe, Shafton, Cudworth and Lundwood near Barnsley have all gone through transitions like this - from crime soaked areas, dominated by council houses that the council couldn't afford to run, through demolition, then to being taken over by housing developers and now rebuilding. Despite the downturn, lots of houses are still going up in these areas. It's not just ex council house areas either - I know one area that has been completely transformed (for the better) from lines of run down privately owned terraced housing in a crime ridden area, to private 3 and 4 bedroom houses that are now much sought after. If it can happen in North East Barnsley, then surely such regeneration could happen in Sheffield?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
IF you were to look at those areas 15 or 20 years ago they were full of similar council houses. This area in particular is/was a notorious area called the Manor. A poor working class area it really suffered from crime and drugs and some of the houses became delapidated due to the neglect of the residents. I have a mate who was once offered a house here from the council and he lasted half a night. What was happening in the neighbourhood scared him out of his wits and he found some men in his lounge smoking drugs in the middle of the night. From his account it appeared like a scene from trainspotting.
Eventually many of the houses when empty were stripped out by criminals who took all the plumbing for scrap and even the slates off the roof.
After years of this battle, the council eventually cleared large areas of all the large council estates in the city in an attempt to change the character. This is why the Manor and Parson Cross have so many grassed areas between the houses. It is some kind of method to make the housing less dense in an attempt to make the area more pleasent to live. By and large it seems to have worked.

Here I have made a comparison..
You can see where they have cleared the old 60 year old council housing and built new modern housing in some areas.

Hi there muddy;You are spot on with your analysis on the demise of the Manor estate.I went to school there,[Prince Edwards] and my paper round took in the entire estate. The estate in those days [mid 50s]was hard working class,every one was in full employment in either the steel works, the cutlery works, on building work, or down the pit.This all came to an end in the 80s and 90s; with the madness of taring down the steel works closing the pits ,and closing down factories.Leaving behind sad and dejected residents whose youth then turned to whatever activity was around to make a few bob.This legacy is still with us today with disaffected youth being blamed for society's ills ,and no thought given to the route cause of the situation.It is to late for this lost generation of kids to alter now, we can only hope that things will change for the better in the very near future and full employment will be there for every one with no excuse then for living on the so called benefits.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
I always assumed when I saw those areas on Google Earth that it was previously fully-developed land which had since had its run down areas stripped out - bar the roads.

So its a bit of both then? demolition and previously unbuilt sections.

·
E = MC²
5,551 Posts
I always assumed when I saw those areas on Google Earth that it was previously fully-developed land which had since had its run down areas stripped out - bar the roads.

So its a bit of both then? demolition and previously unbuilt sections.
No you have misunderstood. These areas were full of houses. Only they started thinning them out several years before google came on the scene.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts