Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
39,279 Posts
With the bancruptcy of Eaton's, the most famous store is probably The Bay on Queen/Yonge streets. It is part of the Hudson's Bay Company, the oldest company in America (the New World). It was founded in 1670 and at one point controlled one-sixth of the North American land mass. It lives on today as a retailer based in Toronto. The other contender has to be Holt Renfrew on Bloor Street. It is a high end department store that is part of the Weston family business. They also own Selfridges in the UK.

·
Premium Member
30,849 Posts
In Hartford, it was G.Fox

In it's heyday in the mid-20th century, it was Downtown Hartford's premier department store, but it was bought by the May Company (then Filenes) which was in turn bought by Federated (Macy's). Before malls in the east and west were around, it was the place to be.

It closed in 1993, when a severe recession nearly decimated Downtown Hartford's retail market, staying abandoned and idle for nearly 10 years mirroring Hartford's decline. In Fall 2002, it was renovated and reopened as the new location of Capital Community College. Following the trend of Downtown Hartford's revitalization, it is being used as much as ever now. A few Condos and restaurants have opened in the area.

Some pics:

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
For Copenhagen it can almost only be Magasin du Nord

This 8 story upscale department store started out by renting a few rooms in what was at the time Hotel du Nord ( the building in the picture ) it was very succesfull and quickly took over the entire building and now the old hotel is only around 35% of the store... and is the largest department store in Denmark ( and Scandinavia as far as I know.. )

It features pretty much everything you need, even a metro station.. so I will highly recomend a visit... ( nothing beats the chocolate available from the chocolate store in the basement next to the deli...

·
South East Nine
39,951 Posts
In London, Harrods claims the title:

- 111,500 square meters.

- 5000 staff from over 50 different countries.

- 330 departments on seven selling floors.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow... copenhagen looks amazing, I really would like to go there!!

And yeah Ive been to Harrods, lets just say it was pretty crazy...

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Edit - Mr. D already posted it, so no need for a reply:) - good morning btw
@Oelanddk - do you know the exact Square meter number for Magasin du Nord?

The only number I can find is 25.000m2... but that's the same as Illum and Magasin should be larger than that :dunno:

( been googling with no luck for 30min now :( )

Oh and good morning to you too! :cheers:

wow... copenhagen looks amazing, I really would like to go there!!
Glad you like it.. :cheers:

If looking for more pics this would be a good place to go: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=456862

·
Banned
419 Posts
SYDNEY

Sydney would be the QVB!! - its more of a heritage shopping mall sort of thing. but defnitely most famous in syd!

·
Gotta lite?
6,067 Posts
@Austraarabian, The Queen Victoria Building, beautiful as it is, really is a mall and not a single store like I think this thread is about. I would guess that the David Jones store in Sydney would be the most famous store. (Is it still called David Jones these days?)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
In New York we have a few major stores.Including Saks Fith Avenue,Macy's,Bloomigdales,and Barney's New York.

·
Gotta lite?
6,067 Posts
In New York we have a few major stores.Including Saks Fith Avenue,Macy's,Bloomigdales,and Barney's New York.
Year, so do most big cities, but which is probably the most famous or biggest?

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,536 Posts
From the department stores in New York I only ever have heard of Macy`s.

Most famous department store in Hamburg: Alsterhaus.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
No those are the biggest and they all have theyre HQs in the city as well as we have Bergdorfs and Lord and Taylor all have theyre HQs in New York

1 - 20 of 73 Posts