Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking independent towns, not suburbs. Small cities like Utica, and Watertown NY, or even as large as Waterbury CT inclusive. I want to know what you know as the best Main streets with store front shopping.
(Malls are useless tools of suburbia) Generally I am talking about towns with low rise buildings only. maybe a random 10 story apartment, or College dorm or something, but nothing like White Plains NY, or Wilmington DE.

So... What is your favorite town? and why?

I will start by saying Saratoga Springs NY is likely my favorite town for a dozen or so good reasons. But what is your favorite town, why do you like it? do you have any picture to showcase its priemier buildings or streets?

Maybe it is just good stories or good memories from the town. I know a great deal of why i love Saratoga is spending New Years eve there every year.

VOR

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
there are a bunch in upstate new york: old forge, geneva, clinton, plattsburgh, cooperstown...i could go on. i really liked bristol in rhode island as well as warwick and newport.

·
Premium Member
30,812 Posts
West Hartford...it's technically a town. 63,000 strong.

WH center is possibly the best town center in the Greater Hartford. It's the most walkable, most pedestrian friendly (moreso that DT Hartford) center, and has plenty of small, but expensive shops and restaurants. It hasn't been as ruined by strip malls and chains like some of the other ones.

When they finish that Blue Back Square development, it will be the best town center in over a 50 mile radius. It puts all the rest in the area to shame.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Well, I have only been to one true INDEPENDENT town, not a suburb of a large city in Western New York, and that would be Batavia. I vote that as my favorite town. It just seems like a nice little city of 16,000, with a lively main street (at least it seemed that way when I passed through it on my bicycle), as well as a nice courthouse, nice homes along the forested main street, and so close to everything you could ever want, being right between Buffalo and Rochester. Since it is the northeast forum, I figured I should say my favorite U.S. town and not a Canadian town. There are too many Canadian towns I like. Also, it's one of the best micropolitan areas in economic development in the U.S.

·
Registered
647 Posts
hmm. i have a lot...

Warren, PA is my favorite town cuz i grew up there.
bethlehem is probably my favorite actually nice "town" (it might actually be to large actually, i dunno... i don't think its larger that that city in CT).ever. partially because parts of it remind me of my later favorite town on the other side of the state.

Other town that i highly enjoy: New Hope PA/Lambertiville/ NJ, Clinton NJ, Jim Thorpe PA, Bellfonte PA, Plymouth MA, Wildwood NJ, my fav towns.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone have any pictures?

How about specific things about the downtown that make it special.

Rotten, for the sake of argument I will take away 1 point for W hartford being part of Hartford, and additionally raise you one Northampton Mass. :p

Just popped into my head an a near idyllic town.

I sadly have no pictures at this time but would like to "meet" some of your favorite towns.

·
Registered
177 Posts
lol i love you threw wilmington in there because i would of called it a town. but thinking now i would either say new castle because its a really historic little town or newark. its college culture mixed with the actually students i'll be at UD in two years so i'll be one of those UD kids partying.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
Lake George is nice as I remember. Lake Placid too (though take away tourism and it probably wouldn't be anything to write home about).

Littleton, NH (featured in a thread on here) is nice but it's not the most complete downtown experience in the world...essentially just a candy story (and how!). Or Portsmouth, NH. I'm surprised that one has never been documented here before. Also in NH, Milford, Laconia, Conway, and Keene all deserve mention.

Williamsville and East Aurora, NY are quite nice as well, if you're into once self-sufficient enclaves which have since been engulfed by suburbia but still retain much of that "small town charm". Sure there are many more examples across the country; those are just the ones I'm most familiar with. East Aurora's claim to fame is Vidler's, the five-and-dime which has not once but twice successfully fought to keep WalMart out of town.

If you want really small, it's not in the US but try Old Port Dalhousie in Canada. Hopefully the developers who want to replace it with condo towers don't get their way.

And I'm surprised Potsdam hasn't been brought up yet. Quintessential college town, IMO.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Saratoga Springs, NY is the nicest by far.

My fav-o-ite towns are Skeneatles NY, Pittsford NY, Bruigge Belgium, Palm Beach FL, Shaker Heights OH, Newton MA, Greenwich CT, Georgetown DC, Morristown NJ, all great places to be.

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Guess I'll throw out some that favorably impressed me (at least the ones I've been to): Portland ME, Middletown CT, Bellefonte PA, Burlington VT, Wilkes-Barre PA, New Brunswick NJ, Troy NY, and of course Ithaca NY. I know that some of these will never be in City Beautiful, but I like the urban feel and fabric for some of these smaller cities. Of course I could add a couple dozen more, but then I'd probably bore youse guys more than I already have. ;)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Rhinebeck, NY. It's a beautiful little town along the Hudson River with views of the Catskill Mountains. It's only a couple hours away from NYC and along the Amtrak line. There are several old mansions there, and in the neighboring towns, like the Vanderbuilt Mansion in Hyde Park. The hamlet next to Rhinebeck is Rhinecliff, and they have the cutest little cafe near the quaintest Amtrak Station. And the Main Street is full of interesting windows of shops and restaurants. The town has a rich history too, but I'm not an expert on the details. Check out the Beekman Arms, which is supposed to be the oldest Inn in America...I think.

Here's a link to their webpage, which includes some photos: http://www.rhinebeckny.org/

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
My favorite independent town would have to be Elicottville, NY. I just love that little slice of 'Aspen' right here in WNY...I used to go to ski-club at Holiday Valley in middle school & high school, then in college & post-college me and friends would rent condos for the weekend and party :cheers:

Warren, PA is my favorite town cuz i grew up there.
oh neat, I used to live in Jamestown, NY which is like 15 mins away...we actually had kids from Warren and Sugar Grove going to our schools. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I used to work with a bunch of people from Warren (they'd commute to J-town to work) and they claimed Warren had the highest density of millionaires in the USA. I think there is a lot of old oil money there.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Although it's pretty much considered an upscale suburb of Rochester...i really like Pittsfor NY...especially the village within the town. It has a very nice historid downtown, and i love walking down Schoen Place on the erie canal. Most of the town is upper-middle class suburban sprawl for the most part admitedly, but the original village of Pittsfor is the picture perfect Upstate NY Canal-town.

·
Registered
647 Posts
My favorite independent town would have to be Elicottville, NY. I just love that little slice of 'Aspen' right here in WNY...I used to go to ski-club at Holiday Valley in middle school & high school, then in college & post-college me and friends would rent condos for the weekend and party :cheers:

oh neat, I used to live in Jamestown, NY which is like 15 mins away...we actually had kids from Warren and Sugar Grove going to our schools. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I used to work with a bunch of people from Warren (they'd commute to J-town to work) and they claimed Warren had the highest density of millionaires in the USA. I think there is a lot of old oil money there.

yeah, thats what they always claim, although i don't imagine warren, pa beating out hollywood and manhatten. the millionares left are all old people who live in the huge beautiful houses i assume. but yeah, that money is still hanging around i guess. but i doubt that statistic is true lol.

thats neat that there are 3 people in the northeast forum that used to live in warren or jamestown. enjoyable towns i think. :)

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
The hamlet next to Rhinebeck is Rhinecliff, and they have the cutest little cafe near the quaintest Amtrak Station.
I remember that station while being on the train once. I swear to God, the train never fully stopped yet people got on (or else a whole group decided to pack up and move to some car behind us). The Maple Leaf. Damn that train was a piece of crap. Lights kept going out, it struggled, you name it.

The mid-Hudson Valley is certainly a beautiful area, though. I remember I used to want to live there.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts