Skyscraper City Forum banner

What is your ideal living environment?

• High urban - Downtown (Wacker to Congress, Clinton to the Lake)

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Urban - River North, Streeterville, South Loop, West Loop

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Urban residential w/highrises - Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Urban residential - Wicker Park, Bucktown, etc.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Inner Ring Suburban - Evanston, Oak Park, etc.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Outer Ring Suburban

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Exurban

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
I can't wait to be downtown - whenever that may be seeing as I have a while to get there. Must.. finish.. high school... must leave... Bartlett...

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
My vote Outer Ring Suburban represents my current station in life, where I live close to my job, my young children are in great school districts, and I also grew up around here to begin with.

My area is currently growing massively, and compared to other similar suburban areas in the country, suburban Chicagoland offers great choices in restaurants and cultural activities that are not available to the most of the rest of the nation.

I should know for I know allot of other college grads, that I went to school with, that live in smaller metros that are just amazed at the options we have.

Even in the rather distant burbs compared to what they get which is mostly Applebee’s and Wal-Mart.

Plus I live on the NW Metra line which I utilize often to get into the city for events that interest me.

The point is, is suburban Chicago is better off than most suburban metro areas in the country from what I know.

I think I live in the best of both worlds.

But if I were 15 years younger and single and or retired and empty nested than I would want to be closer to central Chicago.

Ideally I will have one home in a high rise in Chicago after retirement, and a second home somewhere on the SW coast of FLA.

[See suburban empty nesters coming home] 20 years out.

This is my current goal, but I will not sell out like alot people I know to avoid state taxes and call myself a FLA resident by living there 6 months and one day.

I will still reside in Illinois and hope my children will also.

·
Jack-Of-All-Trades
1,391 Posts
Would the bungalow-belt areas of Chicago be considered inner-ring suburban?

If the question is purely about urban form, which seems likely, then there's a big difference between Wicker Park and, say, Brighton Park.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
i'm not sure i could pick one, but if you believe in the greek idea of a golden mean, evanston might be smack in the middle of pack as if remarkably offers some of the very best of city and suburbia.

·
The City
5,935 Posts
While I love dark-corridored highrise neighborhoods as much as the next guy, I'd prefer a Wicker Park/Bucktown kind of setting, thus I voted for 'urban residential'.

Of course, unlike the retard schmuck low-lifes out there that comprise the vast majority of NIMBY whiners, I fully respect highly dense downtown neighborhoods and I wholeheartedly support their development and expansion. I fully intend to stay a very comfortable distance from them, as anybody with a sound mind should, so that I don't get in the way of their development.

This is in stark contrast to the selfish twits who bought in the south loop, just adjacent to the second largest office district in the nation, and childishly expect their neighborhood to end up looking like Wicker Park instead of what reality has in store for them--a southern extension of the Loop.

Of course, if a time comes when the march of highrises eventually comes to my little urban oasis, I'll have to concede to the economic might of the city and either accept the highrise boom around me or give up my chips and move on. I will not stick around and fight development, branding myself some sort of grassroots 'hero' against the establishment when in reality I'm just selfishly protecting my views and my 'right' to park.

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
Hey Hydro, or anyone else in the thread

can you give some of us (those outside of chi mostly!) a description of what some of the places are like? I'm interested

I think if I had to choose it'd probably be something like wicker park from the shots I've seen of that neighborhood. but then again I've only seen a handful of pictures from therhe

·
Registered
385 Posts
I prefer places like Wicker Park, very urban in feeling with lots to do but not overwhelming. I work in Streeterville, and while I have nothing against tourists, they work my nerves around here, when I go walk on my breaks. I think dense, residential neighborhoods like Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, feel more inviting to me. As much as I love downtown, I feel it can get too touristy, like River North and Streeterville.

·
Chicago Enthusiast
2,560 Posts
Hey Hydro, or anyone else in the thread

can you give some of us (those outside of chi mostly!) a description of what some of the places are like? I'm interested

I think if I had to choose it'd probably be something like wicker park from the shots I've seen of that neighborhood. but then again I've only seen a handful of pictures from therhe
I can tell you what River North/Streeter is like since I currently live there. Like chikid said it is very touristy, but I really don't mind that. In fact I kind of like it. Here all of the residential is highrise and they are all fighting for a view of the lake and/or skyline.

I personally think it is the best spot in the city because you have the Loop on one side and all of the nightlife and shopping you'll need on the other. I love that I can walk to work (in the Loop),to Millennium Park, Michigan Ave and State Street shopping, and Rush St. (nightlife).

·
Formerly InTheLoop
485 Posts
I obviously chose high urban. Having lived at State and Washington for the past four years has been one hell of an experience. An experience I wouldn't trade for a Lincoln Park mansion any day. Living here has given me a feel for the city and its personality like no place else. There is nothing like having State Street outside your front door to get a pulse of the city.

I will be leaving for NYC next month (because I have to), and I unfortunately will not have the dollars to afford a life that comes close to my proximity of being in the center of it all (I will be in close-in Brooklyn). Chicago will always hold a special place for me, and I can say that it wouldn't be so hard to leave had I never had the chance to live in the Loop.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll be the 1st to vote for inner ring suburban. To me it's something about being near the city or even in the city but not in the busiest part. I would never want to live in downtown, i'd rather save it for a weekend treat. Hyde Park Rogers Park are my ideal hoods and to me they are so much like evanston and oak park by way of density and feel.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
i live in marina city, which is technically in rivernorth, but being that it's at state street and the river, this location is certainly "high urban". afterall, my view is westward down the chicago river canyon, the best urban canyon known to man.

having lived in a variety of areas (wilmette, little italy, lakeview, rogers park, and now downtown), i have to say that i could live happily in any of those types of environmnets. and for those who say they couldn't live downtown, don't knock it until you try it. that was one of the big reasons i moved down here. i had never lived in the heart of the city and i wanted to know what it was like. i think it's a good idea to live in different types of neighborhoods when you're younger so that you can settle into a place where you feel most comfortable. right now i'm digging downtown, but that could always change, and only being 31, i still have lot's of time (god willing of course) to try on different city hoods should i feel so inclined.

·
Chicago Enthusiast
2,560 Posts
i live in marina city, which is technically in rivernorth, but being that it's at state street and the river, this location is certainly "high urban". afterall, my view is westward down the chicago river canyon, the best urban canyon known to man.

having lived in a variety of areas (wilmette, little italy, lakeview, rogers park, and now downtown), i have to say that i could live happily in any of those types of environmnets. and for those who say they couldn't live downtown, don't knock it until you try it. that was one of the big reasons i moved down here. i had never lived in the heart of the city and i wanted to know what it was like. i think it's a good idea to live in different types of neighborhoods when you're younger so that you can settle into a place where you feel most comfortable. right now i'm digging downtown, but that could always change, and only being 31, i still have lot's of time (god willing of course) to try on different city hoods should i feel so inclined.
:hi: :wave: hey neighbor. I live on Wabash, facing the river and also have a view of the best urban canyon known to man.

Good point about not knocking it until you try it. I dont know how someone couldnt enjoying living down here, even if its for a short time. Especially people on this forum, its best to live among the giants.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
While I love dark-corridored highrise neighborhoods as much as the next guy, I'd prefer a Wicker Park/Bucktown kind of setting, thus I voted for 'urban residential'.
IMHO, one of the great strengths of Chicago is its very ability to offer up the Wicker Park's and the Bucktown's in a way that few or perhaps no other city can (although San Francisco does a pretty damned good job of it, too)

·
less is more
978 Posts
Streeterville tops the list but the South Loop also appeals to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts