SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think North Carolina is a very nice state. It has mountains, the Piedmont, lakes, rivers, the ocean, great universities, amusement parks small and large cities, and much more. It also has a lot of trees, which I like. I love the fact that the state and its cities are growing so fast. There also seems to be a lot or urban development going on, especially in Charlotte. I also think the state is pretty progressive compared to many other states.

One major thing I would improve in North Carolina is urban development. Charlotte has a lot of it, but it lacks in many of the other major cities in North Carolina. I think it is improving though and will probably get better in the future, especially in Raleigh because its metro is growing the fastest outside of Charlotte. People will probably start to discover Raleigh once it gets bigger and commutes get longer.

Now what do you think?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I love the parts of NC I've been to (western, mostly Boone, Highlands and Asheville) and Atlantic Beach/Outer Banks.

I've never been to Charlotte except for the airport, and one concert at the Coliseum when it was new. I've never been to any of the cities in the center, the two triangles.

I think NC is one of my favorite states :)

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
i'd like it more if many North Carolinians wouldn't hold their noses so high in the air.

-

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
First of all, let me say that I am a transplant from NYC. I moved to North Carolina on March of 1992, and I am happy to say I have seen a lot of growth happening before my eyes. North Carolina's cities offer very good standards of living, but they lack the urban amenities found in other U.S. major cities. While there are many preserved historic neighborhoods, the newer developments have managed to eclipse the former. This is more evident in Charlotte, where a great vision started to materialize in the 90's and today we are proud to see the Queen City heading to the right direction and represent this state well; being by far its largest city. It is a big city in its making and you can tell by the enthusiasm of its representatives in this forum :) A well justified enthusiasm, if I may add. Charlotte needs another 20 years before its status as a big city becomes evident to the rest of the country. Great place to live, work and play!!!

Due to their small(er) size, Asheville and Wilmington have maintained more urban cores than any other major NC city. They simply have it all :eek:kay: As they grow, their nature may eventually become more suburban, but they will maintain much of their character. The Triad is blessed with two great cities: Winston-Salem and Greensboro, each of them having their set of strengths. Urban renewal is taking place in an aggressive manner, in both cities, and I would recommend them to anyone interested moving to the Triad. Raleigh and Durham are very similar to the above cities. Raleigh's growth is huge, but the city remains dense - not in a traditional way, so don't compare it to NE cities - and keeps getting denser. The downtown area is a VERY booming district, and the skyline is about to double by 2008, with more and more new [major] projects coming up. Durham may play second fiddle when it comes to skyline, but its urban fabric in the center cannot be disputed by anyone who isn't blind. Durham may actually get the whole urban renewal thing right before any other city in the state. It won't be in the skyline department, but merely on the street-level. Visit all NC cities on a Sunday afternoon/evening and you will realize how true my statement is. Durham has a lot of traffic in its downtown - a good mix of pedestrian and vehicular activity - many great cultural events and plenty of historic preservation.

One important thing you should know about the Triangle is RTP (Research Triangle Park), the area's largest employment center. RTP is responsible for most of the growth here, but also it has worked against the urban renewal efforts. This is nothing but a HUGE office park - office forest, I would call it - and even though there are some semi-urban projects coming up (i.e. Davis Park), it will always maintain its suburban look and feel. As an employment center, however, it is hard to beat.

The overall quality of North Carolina lies in its diversity. Not just the landscape, but the population, the economy, the pace, and many more sectors you can think of. Economic prosperity is very real although some geographic areas in the state were hit by outsourcing and competition on a global scale, but the big picture looks good. If you like to be closer to the mountains, choose Charlotte or Asheville. If you prefer the water, choose Raleigh, Durham or Wilmington. If you like to stay in between, choose Winston-Salem or Greensboro. Whatever you do, visit North Carolina and see for yourself what brought many of us here.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The western part of NC is very nice, the rest of the state is a gussied up back water. Don't care for it much at all. I do like the civic pride that seems to exist there, even if it is misguided. Oh yeah, the farmers' markets are nice too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What do I think of North Carolina... we'll I've never been there I don't know much about it but it seems like a nice place. It goes from the ocean to the plains to the mountains, it has large cities and small towns so its probably a nice place. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would say that Raleigh is the second city in the state to have building boom at the moment. 3 to 4 are going up skyscrapers this year and also a whole lot of midrises!!!!

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
I think of Smoky Mountains then Cape Hatteras then Kitty Hawk then Fantasia Burrino from High Point.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
I really like North Carolina....My personal favorite city is probably Greensboro...it's very clean and fresh, but it somehow maintains a great urban look and feel to it.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
spencer114 said:
The western part of NC is very nice, the rest of the state is a gussied up back water. Don't care for it much at all. I do like the civic pride that seems to exist there, even if it is misguided. Oh yeah, the farmers' markets are nice too.
That's strange. Some people consider the Western part of the state to be "backwater" or "hick". Central NC is where all of our main cities are located: Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Durham and Raleigh.

I will say that Western NC has the most beautiful topography and scenery.....it's very hilly and mountainous with dense deciduous forests. Central NC is full of rolling hills with dense deciduous forests and pine trees. Eastern NC is flat as a pancake with sandy soil and mostly long-leaf pines.

Wilmington, NC is a great little port city that is VERY underrated; especially on this forum. And as you know, it's in the eastern part of the state......

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I thought Charlotte was considered to be western NC and Raleigh-Durham considered to be eastern NC?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I have a confession to make. I actually like NC. I like the small towns you find the mountains and the coastal plane, I like the beauty of the outerbanks and blue ridge and smokey mountains (especially durring fall) . I just don't like living here. I don't like lacking sense of community in The Triangle, and I don't like the fact that half the people who live here grew up someplace else and that most kids here don't grow up around extended family. I don't think NC is a bad place, not at all. It's a great place. It's just IMO, very overrated for living.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
It's pretty, but, it's still country, somewhat, even it's big cities. The grit has not, yet, arrived. It's still clean and new...not seasoned when it comes to the urban experience.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
NC seems like a happening place. to many new yorkers, it is eden.

if things don't work out in rhose island for some reason, i would probably do charlotte.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Jman, that's treason. Don't worry though, I won't rat on you in the NE forum.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Sean in New Orleans said:
It's pretty, but, it's still country, somewhat, even it's big cities. The grit has not, yet, arrived. It's still clean and new...not seasoned when it comes to the urban experience.
I love how you give us left-handed compliments. :|

1 - 20 of 43 Posts