SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So which cities in Latin/South America have these luxury streets. Sao Paulo? Mexico City? Panama City? Buenos Aires? Bogota? Caracas? Others?

If not, then why not? Also do you think this can happen in your city one day? What street can come close to this reality in your city? Discuss.

Photos please! Thanks. :cheers:

·
Registered
408 Posts
São Paulo

Some facts about São Paulo:

The metropolitan area of São Paulo concentrates around 20MM ppl. However, both the city center (geographically and also the older downtown area) and the outskirts are mainly degraded areas.

This means that if you imagine the metropolitan area of São Paulo as a circle (which is almost correct), you will find a degraded inner circle (diameter about 4km = 2.5 miles), surrounded by a middle and high-class ring varying from 4 to 10km (2.5 to 6.5 miles) large, which is then surrounded by low-class outskirts. This is evidently generalization, so it may not reflect the exact situation of each neighborhood inside the areas I mentioned.

However, the situation described above has some bad results. As ppl concentration is very spread out, including commercial and residential areas that have been disorderly developed in the imaginary “intermediate ring”, it is difficult to identify one single spot in the city that concentrates all necessary factors that have allowed the development of large luxury avenues, such as the 5th Ave. and Champs-Elysées (e.g. luxury hotels, shops, “AAA” commercial buildings and high-wealth residential buildings).

In São Paulo, the largest concentration of luxury hotels is both in the “Jardins” district, and also in the new downtown area, generally called “Brooklyn”, near Berrini Ave.

Luxury apartments are also found in the “Jardins” district, but due to the availability of undeveloped land, most modern high-wealth residential buildings are located elsewhere.

The new “AAA” commercial buildings are mostly located in the “Itaim” and “Brooklyn” districts, which are nearby. Main aves. are “Faria Lima” and “Berrini”, as well as “Marginal Pinheiros” (which was originally a ring-road – like Parisian Boulevard Periphérique –, but has now been almost entirelly “converted” into a regular avenue, due to city growth).

Luxury shops are mainly located inside large Shopping Centers. São Paulo is known for its large number of malls, among which there are some of the largest ones in the world. This is due to (i) security reasons; but mainly to (ii) the need of large spaces with easy access through main avenues allied to large parking availability.

Street luxury shops are rare, and the only spot they may be found in São Paulo is in the “Jardins” district, mainly Rua Oscar Freire, which is a very small street. It has the largest concentration of international and Brazilian luxury brands, but it is not comparable to 5th avenue or Champs-Elysées, which are touristic spots. Rua Oscar Freire is more comparable to Parisian Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ Are those 'luxury' shopping streets? They looks just like regular shopping streets for the local people. But maybe that is all they have in Latin/South America. It is a shame they have to make luxury malls instead. Hopefully one day a city can attract the rich and tourists to a more urban street setting.

Thanks for the comments fabbio_123.

·
100% Libertarian
6,921 Posts
In Caracas for example, luxury streets have died in the 2000's because delinquency, now every luxury shop is confined to Malls. We've now a lot of malls, but the streets look very simple. Only the zone of Las Mercedes could be kind of luxury shopping street.

In Venezuela only Margarita Island still have this kind of streets, the rest...similar to Caracas.

·
Registered Abuser
532 Posts
^^

Masaryk Avenue in Mexico City is probably the most luxurious shopping street in Mexico, it is located in one of the most prestigious residential districts of Mexico called Polanco. From Wikipedia:

"The most-valued street in Latin America. It is the street with the most upscale boutiques in Mexico City. It is compared by some to LA's Rodeo Drive or New York City's 5th Avenue. The Avenue is called after the first President of Czechoslovakia Tomáš Masaryk."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polanco_(Mexico))

If you allow me, I could probably post some photos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avenida_Presidente_Masaryk
"Avenida Presidente Masaryk (English: President Masaryk Avenue) refers to a street in Polanco, Mexico City, Mexico. It's the most-valued street in Latin America and the one with most boutiques in Mexico City. In addition to its boutiques, some of the most expensive restaurants in Mexico City are found along this beautiful avenue. It runs from Calzada Gral. Mariano Escobedo to F. C. de Cuernavaca Avenue. Masaryk, as it is commonly called, is one of the most expensive shopping districts in the world. The Avenue is named after the first President of Czechoslovakia Tomáš Masaryk.

The street was named by President Lázaro Cárdenas in 1936 as a recognition to the Czech democrat and statesman. In 1999 the city of Prague donated a statue of Masaryk to Mexico city, a copy of the one in the Castle of Prague. The statue was placed in the roundabout at the intersection of Av. Presidente Masaryk and Arquímedes."

·
Registered
190 Posts
President Masaryk Avenue in Mexico City

"Avenida Presidente Masaryk (English: President Masaryk Avenue) refers to a street in Polanco, Mexico City, Mexico. It's the most-valued street in Latin America and the one with most boutiques in Mexico City. In addition to its boutiques, some of the most expensive restaurants in Mexico City are found along this beautiful avenue"

- Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avenida_Presidente_Masaryk

·
Banned
494 Posts
ok i wanna see some photos of masaryk, i've only been once to the capital and it was just that same day and left, i didn't get to go to many places

·
Registered Abuser
532 Posts
Found some, All images taken from the LatinScrapers section in this forum, Thread title is the name of the street. Avenida Masaryk

Louis Vuitton.

Cartier.

Chanel.

Ermenegildo Zegna.

Bvlgari.

Etro.

Hermes.

Ed Hardy.

Roberto Cavalli.

Gucci.

Burberry.

Tane.

Max Mara.

Tiffany & Co.

American Apparel.

Bang & Olufsen

Roche Bobois.

Salvatore Ferragamo.

Natuzzi.

·
Banned
494 Posts
Thanks for the images, it looks very similar to this boutique avenue in San Pedro Garza Garcia in Nuevo Leon.

·
Registered Abuser
532 Posts
woops, I believe that in my second batch of photos, the first 3 or 4 are actually residential neighbourhoods from adjacent streets, but it gives you a good idea of how the neighbourhood looks like, it has a lot of contemporary architecture which I love. Pretty damn expensive to live there though, it's just insane.

·
Registered Abuser
532 Posts
Thanks for the images, it looks very similar to this boutique avenue in San Pedro Garza Garcia in Nuevo Leon.
Yeah definitely San Pedro Garza Garcia has it's own luxury, correct me if I am wrong but I believe San Pedro was planned to be a high end luxury neighbourhood since the beginning, while Polanco and Masaryk avenue gradually involved into what they are today. That's just my perspective.

·
Banned
494 Posts
Yeah definitely San Pedro Garza Garcia has it's own luxury, correct me if I am wrong but I believe San Pedro was planned to be a high end luxury neighbourhood since the beginning, while Polanco and Masaryk avenue gradually involved into what they are today. That's just my perspective.
srry doppel post

·
Banned
494 Posts
Yes, Mexico City has much older colonial neighbourhoods and they just eventually became very high end, most places like these in northern Mexico are new, and they were planned. Mexico City has very shik looking areas.:cheers:

·
Banned
494 Posts
You should put pictures of San Pedro too, its really fancy looking.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts