Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was initially going to just post this on the official thread.. but there is a nicve, anti gruniad session developing so I don't want to stem the flow.

This is an interesting question anyway as many 'solutions' proffered for 'sustainable living' etc is usually crucifyingly anti city.

Just came across this idea, which I think is a cracker. Liverpool could steal a march by doing likewise.. and also with the bus companies too.... is this possible? http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/blogs/politicalticker/

density, ease of movement and legibility are as vital aspects of sustainability as eco building etc, as I have long argued.

What else could Liverpool do that would be truly benificial in the sustainability area?

·
JDN21
1,440 Posts
A big sign at the city limits, Welcome to x, an eco city.

It's a bit like a nuclear free zone, bollocks in other words.
Correct.

Then when the government abandons this man-made climate change bollocks and latches onto some other phantom reason for hiking up taxes, we can rejoice in the knowledge that we are suckers and have built an 'eco-city'.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL!

I am not a fan of man made global wrming hysteria.. but we do need to be more energy efficient.. unless we crack fusion..anyway there are other things to achieve... like not using up our other finite rsources as well.

I meant substance, rather than silly symbolism.. I hate those political airhead statements and such that, as Isaac says, mean nothing.

If it where an acronym then that is the one I would go for Radley!

I am more interested in the environmental efficiency potential etc as a base from which to revive our international function... as stated by me many times is priority one.

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
Part of it is about common sense, and investing in energy solutions which could produce serious yeild (not wind farms - yet!). The Mersey barrage plan is underway and having been to a couple of presentations recently the potential is really quite staggering. If designed correctly, the barrage could produce up to 20% of the North West's energy supply! That's a significant contribution. If new buildings were also required to be 10-20% more energy efficient (not too difficult to achieve) and hybrid cars went into mass production, then within a decade we could be up to 50% more energy efficient than we currently are... and as a by-product we'll be spending less money on wasted energy, that's my definition of an 'eco city'

·
Fugly
11,311 Posts
Welcome to the City of Liverpool. Home of the Historic and grand old Everton FC and 'Champions' League runners-up, Liverpool FC.

·
Fugly
11,311 Posts
Hardly bitter Pobbie. I had a very enjoyable night watching the 3rd best team in Italy beat the 3rd best team in England.

·
Banned
8,209 Posts
True. Very true.

But that doesn't automatically exempt all you lot who have nothing better to do than mock a team who just by reaching a final have achieved more in the competition that your club have ever done.

(BTW those Everton banners are clearly a response to the likes of Bunnyman :))

·
JDN21
1,440 Posts
True. Very true.

But that doesn't automatically exempt all you lot who have nothing better to do than mock a team who just by reaching a final have achieved more in the competition that your club have ever done.

(BTW those Everton banners are clearly a response to the likes of Bunnyman :))

Well that would be the case considering you lot got every English team banned from European competition during our most succesful period.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
and a good sustainable metropolis should be looking at what?
:)
Creating a healthier and more sustainale lifestyle: good public transport that is affordable, instead of cars. Reasonably high densities so people can access services locally. Reduced energy consumption - blocks without lifts up to 4/5 stories, rather than taller blocks with lifts or lower houses. Locally sourced food. Turning "green belt" into allotments. Urban forrests. Self-sufficiency in energy (solar, wind, tidal). People walking, running and cycling as a matter of course, with small electric cars only for those who need them or have further to go. Major investment in recycling facilities. Composting to be the norm, linked to allotments and market gardens.

Dig up low density suburbs and plant trees and grow food there.

But this needs to be seen as a business - social enterprises and red-blooded enterprises, local procurement, creating businesses and jobs in developing green technology and know-how, as well as services. Why does Britain import its wind turnbines from Denmark? Why aren't they made in Birkenhead at the old Cammel Laird facilities?

Change the culture - placing an emphasis on the importance of families and communities being happy instead of being rich. Less irresponsible consumerism, less rubbish being bought, more cultural value attached to people being happy, being educated, being civic-minded.

Littering to become a thing of the past, not because of laws or enforcement, but because we educated generations of people to become civic minded, environmentally responsible, and proud of their community.

·
Registered
17,040 Posts
What Poli says.

The city should use it's resources to sustain itself were possible rather than ship goods in where possible.

Housing needs to address the transport issue, we can't carry on building homes for people that require motor vehicles for the inhabit them just to get a loaf of bread - madness. same goes for accessing jobs, services and leisure pursuits.

·
Liverpool, England.
12,682 Posts
Part of it is about common sense, and investing in energy solutions which could produce serious yeild (not wind farms - yet!). The Mersey barrage plan is underway and having been to a couple of presentations recently the potential is really quite staggering. If designed correctly, the barrage could produce up to 20% of the North West's energy supply! That's a significant contribution. If new buildings were also required to be 10-20% more energy efficient (not too difficult to achieve) and hybrid cars went into mass production, then within a decade we could be up to 50% more energy efficient than we currently are... and as a by-product we'll be spending less money on wasted energy, that's my definition of an 'eco city'
Your not joking there Tom. 20% of the North West's energy supply, even if it is overestimated by a factor of two could make a massive difference to a city like Liverpool (and surely it is the place closest to the barrage that will benefit the most). I'm sure a barrage would be costly to install and have an ongoing maintenance cost but there would be no pollution, terrorist threat or massive decomissioning costs and, unlike wind power (which our region is also well suited to exploit), it is not dependent on the weather conditions.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts