Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For example: Philadelphia Cheestake, The constitution, Bill of rights, etc. Please submit your cities example of unique qualities?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Our approach to life...we have money and earn good livings, but, the main motivation here is good times, good food, and a spiritual depth that is hard to explain. We're different, in many ways. We're not into fast paced life, competition with other cities, and the dollar. That's why almost everyone that left with Katrina, has come back, or will be back by the Summer.

·
"Hands of Stone"
3,633 Posts
A Tale of Two Cities...

San Francisco (where I live): The city and county of San Francisco is one of the same. In other words, the only city in California's San Francisco county is the city of San Francisco itself.

Panama City (where I was born): Is the only skyscraper city in Central America and has the most conspicuous skyline in all of Latin America.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Detroit:
1. Cars: Birthplace of automobile mass production. General Motors HQ. The Motor City.
2. Music: Motown sound, Madonna, Eminem, Industrial/Electronic.
3. Urban Decay. Favorite city for UE (Urban Explorers).
4. Architecture: Third best collection of Art Deco skyscrapers (after NY and Chicago). Architect Albert Kahn's auto factory designs heavily influenced the modern architecture movement in Europe during early 20th century.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i have too many hometowns but since chicago has not been done yet, and seeing as i've spent somewhere north of 20 years in the monster of the midway............

1. skyscrapers
2. the burnham plan
3. public use of waterfront
4. twinkies
5. house music
6. sociology (u of c)
7. May Day
8. chicago blues
9. futures and options trading
10. center of prohibition (both the women's christian temperence union and al capone slugged it out in chicago)
11. rotary and lions clubs
12. the machine (democratic influence, dead chicagoans elected kennedy)

and many more fellow chicagoans will surely add

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Sean in New Orleans said:
Our approach to life...we have money and earn good livings, but, the main motivation here is good times, good food, and a spiritual depth that is hard to explain. We're different, in many ways. We're not into fast paced life, competition with other cities, and the dollar. That's why almost everyone that left with Katrina, has come back, or will be back by the Summer.
New Orleans is the second poorest city in the US. It is the few well off people in the city like (apparently) you that don't see the extreme poverty and hardships in the city that let it escalate to the degree it did pre katrina.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts