SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
2,869 Posts
Blabbernsmoke said:
Yeah, that's what annoys me when people seem to celebrate WW2 so much- it was such a terrible, wasteful event. As well as the human lives lost, capital that had been built up over many centuries was just wiped out. Liverpool suffered very badly- not only stuff that was destroyed (the old Post Office springs to mind), but funds ear marked for new stuff was taken away.
Apart from fighting for democracy, freedom of speech, human rights, equal opportunities blah blah blah, what in your opinion made WW2 a "wasteful event"
Heil Blabb

· Banned
2,869 Posts
Damon said:
Don't know if anyone has looked stuff up on the British Pathe newsreel site before, but you can find some very fascinating footage of the Lutyens cathedral being built back in the thirties. Actually, you can find fascinating footage of all kinds of things, so I'll leave it up to you to choose what you search for...

http://www.britishpathe.com/
FFS Damon! This is one excellent site for old Liverpool stuff. Thanks :cheers:

· Banned
2,869 Posts
Blabbernsmoke said:
Dave, another super-duper pic- you should be a free lance photographer or something.

Also, I didn't mean to suggest that WW2 wasn't necessary from Britain's point of view, or that the defeat of facism wasn't a good thing. It's just a shame the whole thing had to happen- it screwed things up a lot even for us 'vicotors.'
Sorry Blab, just read what I wrote and it was never meant to sound so serious. I was attempting to be flippant/jokey :runaway:

· Banned
2,869 Posts
dgnr8 said:

Many happy memories of visiting that Church. My favourite building in Scouse. It's criminal it's not pimped up to the level of the Graces.
I've many happy memories of this Cathedral. There's a fantastic sculpture of the Risen Christ by Arthur Dooley in there. Almost got married in Paddy's Wigwam, but it was fully booked. Had to do with St Cecilia's on Green Lane :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.