Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,512 Posts
Not the English anyway have you heard the state of some of our accents :hahano: I think the Dutch and Scandinavians, I don't know if they are taught it from a young age or not but they all seem to be able to do it really well.

·
Global Citizen
4,322 Posts

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,512 Posts
Us British on the other hand are rubbish at speaking other languages and our government is actually considering ending the mandatory teaching of languages in our Secondary (High) schools. It makes me really angry but not enough to learn another language. I have a very basic grasp of French but one of my lifetime ambitions is to learn Spanish

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
In my own experience, the Scandinavians and Dutch/Flemish are on an equal footing, followed closely by the Germans.

In all countries there are people who speak fluent English, as well as those who don't know a single sentence, so please take my above observations as a general broad feeling I have acquired.

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Not the English ;)

I've always found the Dutch very good at speaking English and Icelandic people.

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,536 Posts
Among university students I would say:
Scandinavian Countries and Netherlands, followed by the german speaking Countries and Poland. Italian students are in general among the worst english speakers. I have met so many italian students who can't even master a basic conversation in english!

·
Registered Idiot
1,671 Posts
Yes I would say Scandinavians. Some of them almost sound like they are native English speakers. I am judging this based on all the European hockey players who come to North America to play in the NHL. English is very important for them because they always have to do interviews, etc. Most of the European players struggle but the Swedes and Finns are perfectly clear.

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
That should be Which people... :|

The Dutch. They speak better English than half the English people I know

1 - 20 of 78 Posts