Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not just for commuting for work, but for everyday use like shopping and visiting friends

·
53,405 Posts
in Zwolle, the Netherlands (pop. 120,000).

Public transport is mostly used to transport students from the region to campus by train, which makes the Zwolle trainstation rather busy for the size of the city. Buses are used to get students from the station to another big school.

For leisure; I guess nearly nobody, cycling has a big share of 35%, which can be as high as 80% to the historical city center, and as low as <10% to industrial/office job locations.

Cycling through town is mostly faster than taking the bus, and some cycling paths have over 14,000 cyclists per day. Amsterdam is known for it's extensive cycling, though this is true for most larger Dutch cities, especially those with universities like Groningen, Leiden or Delft.

·
HALLEluja!
111 Posts
In Halle (Germany) it's somewhat like 50-60% I'd say. That's at least the percentage when thinking about the people I know here.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't even know..... how do you count the millions and millions in that jam-packed Yamanote and Keihin Touhoku lines... I read somewhere that on workdays, it is 85~90% by PT, and for leisure, given that crowdedness on weekends is only little different from workdays, probably 75~80%. At least, I would never drive to Shibuya or Akiba. It will be a hell to find a parking space.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I don't even know..... how do you count the millions and millions in that jam-packed Yamanote and Keihin Touhoku lines... I read somewhere that on workdays, it is 85~90% by PT, and for leisure, given that crowdedness on weekends is only little different from workdays, probably 75~80%. At least, I would never drive to Shibuya or Akiba. It will be a hell to find a parking space.
Just guessing; do you live in "nicotama"? :lol:

·
Registered
14,133 Posts
I don't understand why huge underground parking areas aren't made in busy business districts? Is it because then they won't be able to charge ridiculous prices for parking?

·
53,405 Posts
Underground parking garages are expensive to construct and maintain.

But necessary in inner city districts imo. Nothing kills a central city like huge parking lots.

·
&#22825;&#35910;
9,950 Posts
^^ 90% for journeys. I would say around the same for percentage of people.

Hong Kong has a highly developed and sophisticated transport network, encompassing both public and private transport. Over 90% of the daily journeys are on public transport, making it the highest in the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_in_Hong_Kong

·
53,405 Posts
You can measure this in two ways... by # of trips or the mileage. For instance, the Dutch trains get about 8% of the mileage, but only 2% of the trips. (0.06 journeys per person out of a daily 2.99)

·
53,405 Posts
^^ I guess that has to do with this:

With thirty per cent of the population living below the poverty line, Hartford's rate of poverty is second in the United States only to Brownsville, Texas.[18] About 28.2% of families were below the poverty line, including 41.0% of those under age 18 and 23.2% of those age 65 or over.
(wikipedia article about Hartford)

·
53,405 Posts
Much cheaper than Europe though. But even social housing flats in the Netherlands have parking space problems. Mobility is important to people.

I guess most transit within Hartford is done by buses?

·
53,405 Posts
The region had an actually dense tram network a few decades ago, but that's in the past.
Yeah, that has happen in many places, also in Europe. The Netherlands used to have quite an extensive regional/rural tram network in the late 1800's/early 1900's. I guess they were deemed not profitable.
Funny how that works, many railroads were build in times with low population, similar railway construction today would be too expensive if it was for the same population as in the 1800's.

·
Registered
14,133 Posts
Underground parking garages are expensive to construct and maintain.

But necessary in inner city districts imo. Nothing kills a central city like huge parking lots.
Places like Manhattan and Shinjuku (is that right?) should certainly have them. Metered parking will pay for the maintenance.

As for the OP, buses are the only public transport available in Karachi and are heavily used. Don't have official numbers, but if I were to guess it'd be around 30%. Then another similar number would go to motorbikes. The rest would be cars. I'm only talking people going for work.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts