SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look . . . I know that this may seem like weird question, and that there have been some pretty useless threads here lately.
However, I really can't stop thinking about the question, so I decided to finally ask:

What city in the Southeast looks the most 'futuristic' to you?
Be able to explain why, as someone will probably challenge your opinion.

(It does seem to be the only constant thing on these forums.)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'd have to say Statesville, NC which is the county seat of Iredell County.....and they're not shy about telling the world.

·
abdulsharifshoots.com
1,701 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Houston. It's just shame that we don't light the skyline yup like that anymore.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
^ haha I agree in a way.

I always thought Houston looked the most futuristic then the most like a fake set in a futuristic film.

I love Houston though its just some angles I swear.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
krazeeboi said:
I think Charlotte looks pretty futuristic.
me too; just look at some of Style's photos.

while visiting there a few years ago, i thought it looked like some evil-mega corporate city from a B sci-fi movie (i don't mean this as an insult, it's a twisted complement, like my love of grit. ;) )

i mean, from a distance, all you see are modern towers, and so nicely and neatly organized and shiny. like it was pre-made, and recently. especially when i drove from the southern part into "uptown," it was such a change. especially looking at Style's pic w/the railroad tracks and Uptown, it looks so futuristic.

i posted a bunch of Style's skyline pics on a thread in city photos of "Most Futuristic Skyline."

Houston - too much crusty 80s, very dated
Atlanta - only looks futuristic at night
Miami - too square

Dallastexan's right though, there's areas of Birmingham that are the post-apocalyptic future (Ensley.)

-

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well Atlanta did serve as a futuristic Detroit in some of the Robocop movies...

·
Registered
21 Posts
None, really. Architectually, they are all very conservative.... Atlanta, Houston, Dallas (boring), Charlotte. Miami is probably, overall, the most avant garde architectually. Nashville probably has the most expressive post-modern building (Bell South), although I personally don't like it because it is cliche. None of the southern cities "push the envelope" the way Frankfurt, Germany, London, or Paris do. US cities, with the exception of possibly LA and Chicago, are all moving back to the past, or in the case of southern cities, creating an urban past they never really quite had.

But, to take a stab at southern cities looking forward (futuristic), overall I'd say Atlanta with its renewed attention to public spaces (Symphony Hall, High Museum addition), choices for building materials, and Miami with its focus towards the southern hemisphere.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I disagree. Charlotte looks modern but not futuristic. None of the architecture in Charlotte has really taken that risky leap into 'futuristic', IMO...much like Atlanta.

Well Atlanta did serve as a futuristic Detroit in some of the Robocop movies...
I was just watching robocop the other day and noticed that a chase scene was actually filmed in Dallas. Did they use both Dallas and Atlanta as futuristic Detroits??

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm sure they went where ever they could film cheaply. I think they used Atlanta mostly because the Westin and Ivy Tower look like the Renaissance Center in Detroit. Also there was an abundance of rundown neighborhoods that fit in with the rundown look they wanted for Detroit.

The Dallas chase scene may have been about money or it may have been about access. Not every city will allow their streets to be shutdown so stuntmen and actors can drive down them like a bat out of hell.

Edit: I just looked it up. Robocop was filmed in Dallas, Robocop 2 in Houston and Robocop 3 in Atlanta. Maybe if there ever is a Robocop 4 they'll continue the eastward trend and film in Charlotte.

·
Charlotte
684 Posts
krazeeboi said:

I definitely agree. You often hear comments about its looks from the shiny modern skyscrapers to its numerous funky “movie set” looking communities found in all corners of the city.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts