Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you want to see happen to the Britannia Hotel on New Street?

It was recently voted one of the dirtiest hotels in the country (one of four in the list owned by Britannia :eek:hno: ). :bash: And some reviews of the hotel don't seem to be too nice either.

Would you like to see it demolished? Refurbished? Reclad?

Personally, I would like to see it refurbished and an extensive clean on the exterior. Replace the windows, reinstate the balcony as some form of feature in the hotel and not some platform for the air conditioning machines. I think it's a nice piece of architecture - just neglected.

·
Registered
928 Posts
It's locally listed I believe. (Edit: Grade B)

Yeah just looks like it needs a good clean - though maybe a demolish but keep the facade job. I hate the view of the nasty old fire escape snaking down its back you can see from the balconies at Martineau Place.

They should also get rid of the retail units along New Street so it's obvious there's a hotel there, rather than have a hidden away doorway on the corner.

Oh and obviously kick Britannia out as operators and ban them from ever returning to Birmingham again.

·
Proud European
6,474 Posts
I'm with you Erebus!

This has a very dramatic frontage from when it was Marshall & Snelgrove (?) department store.

Unfortunately, the clowns at Brittania Hotels have neglected it.

It's need some attention to bring it back to glory.

If they reclaimed the space for the reception currently filled with tacky shops, they could actually have a very impressive entrance instead of the crass thing tucked away up a cramped alley that stinks of p***.

No wonder it was voted as one of the worst in Britain - I'd give it that on it's front door alone!

·
Proud European
6,474 Posts
Also....i'd keep the windows as they are - just paint them and clean them too!

They fit the period of the building.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
It looks awful! Imagine turning up after a long journey or a long day in the office and knowing you've got to spend a night in that!

Does anyone know what it looks like inside? Does it match the exterior? It would look so much nicer after a simple clean, oh and as Erebus said - new windows.... to match. :yes:

·
Proud European
6,474 Posts
^^ I last went in there about 15 years ago to meet my brother for a beer or two.

It was brown and tinted everyewhere. :puke:

Very 1970's - and tacky even then!

·
Change is Here!
4,082 Posts
I'm with Erebus on this one. Good clean (I'm obsessed with cleaning buildings aren't I?)

Get rid of the retail units on the front and create a proper entrance, it's close enough to Corporation St. to have a taxi/pickup/drop off point outside just like the RadissonSAS at HCT

Internal Refurbishment

Move the a/c stuff off the balconies, and maybe some double glazing to make the rooms quieter (but not nasty UPVC stuff, inkeeping with the building)

And kick Britannia hotels out of there, let them run the Etap or something!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Does anyone know what it looks like inside? Does it match the exterior? It would look so much nicer after a simple clean, oh and as Erebus said - new windows.... to match. :yes:
Judge for yourself - click Candid Traveler Photos - the reviews here suggest what it's like to stay!

·
Change is Here!
4,082 Posts
Just reading some of the reviews on the link posted by Shavenheaden, like this one..
Traveler rating:
Birmingham: Britannia Hotel Birmingham: "Once was too often"
ClaireMBlackpool, Blackpool Jan 17, 2007

My experience with this property took place in:
July, 2006
Would I recommend this hotel to my best friend? no way!
My ratings for this hotel are:

Value
Rooms
Check in / front desk
Service
I recommend this hotel for:
I do not recommend this hotel for: Young singles, An amazing honeymoon, A romantic getaway, Girlfriend getaway, People with disabilities, Older travelers, Families with young children, Families with teenagers, Tourists

I selected this hotel because ... Concerts / Music festival

My age: 35-49
Traveling group: Spouse / significant other
My visit was for: Hobbies / interest / culture
The bedroom was filthy with a hairball under the dressing table and a used tissue under the bed. Dust was on the television, the chair legs and under the dressing table. In the drawer was a king size rizla packet and more dust The first day we had one milk carton, the second day no coffee and the third day no sugar!

The corridor was filthy with used cig ends on the floor which stayed there for the duration of the stay The lifts failed to work for the duration of our stay and when we asked about repair time or a move to a lower floor the receptionist was aggressive and rude and offered no help despite me explaining my husband was recovering from open heart surgery and struggled with the stairs.

The only saving grace was the attitude of the waitresses at breakfast who were absolutely delightful with nothing too much trouble

Most definitely would never stay at this or any other Britannia hotel again and would have posted this earlier but didn't know about this website

This TripAdvisor Member:
Liked: The lovely friendly and helpful breakfast waitresses
Disliked: The filth
How the hell is this hotel still in business? Not one good review on that page. Also, on having a mess on Expedia, it costs £98 for 2 to share 1 room for Friday & Saturday night in Britannia. For £119, 2 can also share 1 room at Jury's Inn, which has a rating on expedia of 5.0 out of 5.0, as opposed to 1.0 out of 5.0 for Britannia.

Approx £200 will put 2 sharing one room in either Hotel Du Vin, or RadissonSAS at HCT!

I know where I'd be going!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Had an Xmas party there a couple of years ago and a few of us got rooms on a special rate and they were shocking. The hotel hadn't changed from F&N's description, I could imagine anyone coming to Brum for the weekend and having such a centrally located hotel would not be in a hurry to come back.

I agree with the above, clean it up, lose some retail units to give a nice lobby and get a decent operator in, Hilton have been looking for a site in central Brum for years, unless they're going in for Snow Hill.;)

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
I would like to keep the facade, but the back of the building is ugly so don't really mind whether they knock the rest down or just overhaul the existing building. Clean up the front and presto!

Funnily enough, it would make a nice hotel...

·
Registered
928 Posts
I was once invited by someone back to their hotel room and refused when they said it was the Britannia lol. In fact that wasn't long ago - a couple of weeks after that worst hotel poll. Oh well look at it, would you want to get naked there?

Anyway - what's even worse is the way the rooms are crammed in. It's got 195 rooms. The back wall is windowless so I can't imagine how dingy it must be inside.

With some serious redevelopment it'd be ideal for a new brand to the country like aloft who generally only have about 90 - 180 rooms per property (plus it's a child of W Hotels and I'd love to see them make in roads into Brum [A W Hotel in the V Building would've seemed just right, but ah well])

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
If your lucky or unlucky enough to be grabbed for surveys by people in New Street then you often get taken into there. The carpet alone reminds me of 1970s. It speaks all that was grim about the 1970s.

Perfect for a Fawlty Towers esque comedy set in 1970s. Wouldnt cost anything to make place like 70s.

·
2,426 Posts
I had a bit of a mess about on paint, and came up with this (i gave up part way through though) -

Personally i think a clean up job would work wonders

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
I was once invited by someone back to their hotel room and refused when they said it was the Britannia lol. In fact that wasn't long ago - a couple of weeks after that worst hotel poll. Oh well look at it, would you want to get naked there?
:lol:

I really don't blame you. Who knows what you might catch from the soft furnishings?

·
Ahoy Ahoy
7,829 Posts
I imagine the Britannia to look really nice when cleaned and updated. I would like to see long flags drapped down the front like Baskeville House. I think it'll only be a matter of time before Britannia are shut down.

·
SSC Geek
2,795 Posts
Yes, this place could be so amazing, if only it was clean and the hotel matched the building. We can't afford to lose any more of the old architecture of New Street.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts