Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I need some advice on what to do in NY in an 8day timeframe? I will be in NY in December coming all the way from OZ.

I'm not after the usual tourist stuff, i've done all that before. I want to see the hidden treasures at street level. The kind of stuff you don't see on travel shows etc.

Any help would be very welcome

·
Prešpurák
7,499 Posts
Go to Upper Manhattan or Bronx :)

·
Prešpurák
7,499 Posts
Why not? It cannot be more dangerous than Petržalka, the less safe neighborhood of my city :)

·
Super Moderator
11,306 Posts
Hey everyone

I need some advice on what to do in NY in an 8day timeframe? I will be in NY in December coming all the way from OZ.

I'm not after the usual tourist stuff, i've done all that before. I want to see the hidden treasures at street level. The kind of stuff you don't see on travel shows etc.

Any help would be very welcome
Congratulations, you're the first ever person to visit our city, that's why there are no other threads asking this question in this forum :banana:

If I were you I would visit Staten Island, I can assure you, it's the most interesting place to spend your 8 days in NYC :eek:kay:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Well, it looks like the New Yorker natives don't want to help you, so here are a few suggestions from Los Angeles.

Eight days is a long time so you have a lot of time, although there is so much to see in New York you couldn't cover it all if you had a year.

1. There are lots of walking tours through virtually every part of the city. I can't personally recommend any specific company but you can get a guided tour for any interest you might have. Food, Jazz, ethnic neighborhoods, the Villages, Harlem, history, music. There are quite a few sites on line that describe the various tours. Just Google walking tours New York City and see what pops up.

2. Go to a Yankees game at Yankee stadium or a Mets Game at Shea and mix with the real New Yorkers. Sit in the Bleachers for extra fun. Just don't root for Boston or the Dodgers.

3. Go to the Cloisters, a beautiful museum of Medieval art at the NOrth end of Manhattan.

4. Try some of the parks and Museums in the Outer Boroughs, the Brooklyn Museum (great Egyptian art), the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria Queens(Don't miss the Red Grooms Theater), the Bronx Zoo, the Bronx Botanical Garden, etc.

5. Visit some of the neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Walk through Brooklyn Heights, Be sure to see the view of Manhattan from the Brooklyn side. Have the cheesecake at Juniors. Visit Williamsburg a strange mixture of the hip and the Hassidic. Go out to Coney Island, ride the Cyclone, visit the Freak shows; have a hot dog at Nathan's; visit little Odessa at Brighton Beach.

6. Go to church in Harlem on Sunday morning and listen to the gospel choirs. Dress nicely and be polite. These are real church services, but the singing can be spectacular.

7. Take a trip out to Long Island. If you are interested in history, Teddy Roosevelt's home in Oyster Bay is quite interesting, but the best places for me are out on the Eastern end of the Island near Montauk and Shelter Island.
You can take the Long Island railway to get most places.

8. Don't forget the Jazz clubs, and off-off Broadway theaters. Try La Mama, the longest running experimental theater in the City. Lots of venues in the Village.

9. I love the treats at Ferarra bakery in Little Italy. If you time it right there are wonderful street festivals in Little Italy like the Feast of San Gennaro. Chinatown is right next door to Little Italy with a huge number of Asian markets and restaurants.

10. It's touristy, but the Circle Line Cruise around Manhattan Island is a grat way to see the Manhattan skyline from every angle. You can catch the boat at the west end of 42nd street, right at the Hudson river.

11. Consider a short trip to the Catskills or the Adirondack Mountains. Very different from New York city. Stay a couple of days in a rustic cabin or a luxurious hotel, and enjoy the out of doors. I like Saratoga springs and Lake Placid. Tours can be arranged from Manhattan. Talk to your concierge.

12. Don't forget the ballet, the Opera, and the symphony. There are multiple companies and the best of the world's troups make sure to visit New York.

As a last resort, if you think you have seen everything you want to see in New York, remember it is only a day or less to Boston, the Berkshires, Philadelphia, Atlantic City, the Jersey Shore, Baltimore, Wahington DC, Niagra Falls, the Finger Lakes, Montreal, Quebec City, Vermont, New Hampshire, and the Delaware Valley. You cannot run out of things to see.

Good Luck and have a great vacation. I always do when I visit New York.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Suggestions #2 from SAS should be crossed out, wrong season ( December ), try Madision square garden for a Knick's basketball game or Ranger's hockey game. The other suggestions by SAS is pretty good.

Other suggestion is the Bronx Zoo, they had the christmas lighting display in the Zoo.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Suggestions #2 from SAS should be crossed out, wrong season ( December ), try Madision square garden for a Knick's basketball game or Ranger's hockey game. The other suggestions by SAS is pretty good.

Other suggestion is the Bronx Zoo, they had the christmas lighting display in the Zoo.
Didn't notice the season. Good corrections.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone! The suggestions & info was a great help.

I didn't realise the other major cities were so close?

If i want to rent a car whilst in the US, what are the requirements with licencing and insurance?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
It would be a good thing to visit some random Brooklyn neighborhoods. Some nice neibs are Carrol Gardens, Brooklyn Heights or Greenpoint. In Greenpoint you may want to try out one of the many Polish restaurants. Try something a little different than what you're use to. And heck, why not play some sports with the locals. Atleast thats what i do when im in other places, it helps me feel different than the average red neck tourist. Mc Carren Park in Greenpoint looks like a great choice for that.Enjoy my home.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Outofnowhere, Are you a big movie fan ? or fan of any American TV shows like " Soprano " or "sex in the city " ? If you do, there is this tour company in NYC will show you all the sites/ locations of the shows/movies scene. click below:

http://www.sceneontv.com/tour.php/sopranos/

Also you should check with Hertz or Avis car rentals of the driving requirement.

Good luck

·
Prešpurák
7,499 Posts
Hello ppl. I am also planning to make some trip to NJ and NYC and heard that NYC is not a good place to stay at a hostel. What do you think? I heard that NJ is better place.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I shouldn't go to the other city's in the area, it takes a lot of time that you can perfectly use in NYC itself. I tried to combine a eight day trip to the USA: I spent 6 days in NYC (and I haven't been able to see/do everything I wanted to see/do) and went to Boston...and the exact same thing happened, so my advice is to stay in NYC... about hostels: there is an affordable hotel at West 28th street: the Americana Inn (I still prefer a hotel instead of a hostel)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts