SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What U.S. cities with a population of 100K or more, were not built on an ocean, natural lake (not man made), navigable river, or major body of water? Plus, how did these areas become cities without these attributes?

A few cities I can think of are Denver, CO, Lexington, KY, and Greensboro, NC.

Btw, no offensive posts, please.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
All of the major NC cities......Charlotte, Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Durham and as you said Greensboro

Um, Phoenix, Tulsa, Atlanta......I'm really not sure about those, so anyone here is free to correct me. :)

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
xzmattzx said:
atlanta is near the chattahoochee river, but it became big because it was the terminus for a railroad (in fact, atlanta's name used to be terminus). so i guess you can count atlanta, since the city didn't exactly need a large body of water to grow really big.
I wander how downtown and midtown Atlanta would look if they were built along the Chattahoochee River?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Rwarky said:
Madison, WI?? The city borders two lakes.
The name of the thread is "What U.S. cities, 100k people of more, were not built on a MAJOR body of water?"

I don't care how you slice it, Lake Mendota and Lake Monona are NOT MAJOR bodies of water. A major body of water would give you access to the outside world. Madison is NOT a port city.

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
urban lover said:
The name of the thread is "What U.S. cities, 100k people of more, were not built on a MAJOR body of water?"

I don't care how you slice it, Lake Mendota and Lake Monona are NOT MAJOR bodies of water. A major body of water would give you access to the outside world. Madison is NOT a port city.
You're right...my mistake. Likewise, I've added "major body of water" to the topic.

·
Fresh Coast
1,513 Posts
urban lover said:

But the city is catagorized as an isthmus, which is a strip of land bordered by two bodies of water.

·
Registered
824 Posts
EastSider said:
But the city is catagorized as an isthmus, which is a strip of land bordered by two bodies of water.
True, it is an isthmus. But again, the thread refers to MAJOR bodies of water. A Major body of water would be an ocean, a sea, a great lake, a navigable river with access to other ports. If you got in a boat on one of Madison's lakes you'd never even get out of Dane county!

·
1,652 Posts
Escondido, California wasn't built by any real major source of water. No river, no bay, no ocean, no nothing. Well except for a man made lake. Its populous is 141,000.

Then again its not exactly a hub of activity, being the fourth city in the SD metro.

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW, "What U.S. cities, 100K people or more, were not built on a major body of water," is just my thread title.

"What U.S. cities with a population of 100K or more, were not built on an ocean, natural lake (not man made), navigable river, or major body of water," would not fit...its too long.

·
1,652 Posts
krazeeboi said:
Tulsa, OKC, Omaha, Des Moines, Little Rock
Omaha is located on the bank of the Missouri River.

Des Moines is situated along the banks of the Des Moines River.

Little Rock is centrally located on the Arkansas River.

Tulsa lies along the Arkansas River.

OKC is near the North Canadian River, or the Oklahoma River since they changed the name.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts