SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I would think that they would plunge. Thats just an opinion thought.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Fall at least 10%.... however it would be great for those who are renting. Montreal would be back to 95' apres-soverignty price levels.

Prices would be low enough for prospective buyers to snap up a lot of properties. Then, I would speculate and sell it when Quebec's real estate prices bounces back again. It will come back up after the initial fall... the question rather is when it will bounce back...

·
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.
2,644 Posts
LOL, fall at least 10%? No shit. More like 40% +

Understand that prices in Alberta dropped about 33 % after the NEP - and took 10-15 years to recover.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
lol. 40%+'s better for me, cheaper to buy. :D

And don't call me un-patriotic for supporting the real estate market of an Independent Quebec, in the end, it's all just business. ;)

·
2,644 Posts
rt_0891 said:
lol. 40%+'s better for me, cheaper to buy. :D

And don't call me un-patriotic for supporting the real estate market of an Independent Quebec, in the end, it's all just business. ;)
The problem with your "better for me" theory is that it may take forever for Quebec prices to go back up. They don't have a lot of oil/gas you know. ;)

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
What kind of question is this? Most likely, it'll plunge.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
oceanmdx said:
The problem with your "better for me" theory is that it may take forever for Quebec prices to go back up. They don't have a lot of oil/gas you know. ;)
I'm sure the first plunge would be the market over-reacting.. and unless the PQ really suck at governing their own country, it will bounce back, though probably not up to historic highs or even up to today's pricing levels, lol..

In the end, I guess it will be mostly affected by the sheer number of English Quebecers leaving ...

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
They would plunge 30-40% for two reasons:
One, the economic receession that would grip Quebec for up to 3 years and the rersulting lower incomes and standard of living.
Two, the population will be falling and that means a massive glut of housing on the market. Great if you are a first time home buyer but if you own a home you will lose your shirt.

·
2,644 Posts
There is a 3rd huge reason (it happened in Alberta after the NEP) why prices would drop. The value of a lot of homes would be much less than the mortgage on the home, so people would walk into the bank and tell the manager, "look, here are the keys to my house". The bank then has to get rid of the house via auction. But who the hell would buy? What would stop houses from dropping even more than 50%?

·
2,644 Posts
Calgary area: A friend of mine had the opportunity to get a house that should have been worth around $200,000 at a bank auction for $104,000 - back in the 1980s. The bids were so low that the bank refused to sell. Then after about 3 months, my friend got a call from the bank asking him if he still wanted the house. He reluctantly had to say no thanks because he believed that he wouldn't be able to sell his own home (he couldn't carry them both)!!!!

·
2,644 Posts
Roch5220 said:
a blimp in the long term prices
Blimp? You mean like an airship? ;)

Blips can have a very long wavelength.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Drop like a ***** at a gangbang.

Probably somewhere in the twenty to thirty percent range over the course of a couple years. Not being any sort of expert in the industry I can't really say of course but you don't need a degree to figure out that the exodus of Anglos and the economic uncertainty that sovereignty will bring will have a trememdous impact on the demand for housing (and all real estate for that matter in Quebec)

·
Nid de Poule
773 Posts
It will be more expensive to buy a house in Quebec because it will be hard to find somebody to build it.

But Quebec will never separate from the rest of Canada. Quebec belongs to all canadians and Canada will not be Canada without Quebec.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
oceanmdx said:
Blimp? You mean like an airship? ;)

Blips can have a very long wavelength.
It would probably be just a couple of years. I really don't care too much about the short term investors, but more of the actual regular homeowners.

·
moonage daydream
626 Posts
All I know it that I'm planning to sell my house and move out of the province before the next provincial election. Hopefully before the mass exodus!

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.