SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cotton
8,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked myself a question: there're lots of skyscrapers over 200 m, first ones are standing for more than a century. Some of those buildings are becoming old/outdated. What 200+ m skyscrapers can be the first ones to be demolished, when and using what methods?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I asked myself a question: there're lots of skyscrapers over 200 m, first ones are standing for more than a century. Some of those buildings are becoming old/outdated. What 200+ m skyscrapers can be the first ones to be demolished, when and using what methods?
World Trade Center NYC, 400m+, 2001, airplanes.

·
whitest boy in the delta
12,912 Posts
^^
i'm pretty sure he meant skyscrapers that get demolished to make room for more modern buildings and not terrorism. I'm guessing an old building that is not that safe anymore might be the first to get demolished, don't think we are anywhere close for a 200m building to get demolished to make room for a taller building just for the locations sake though. even in full cities like Hong Kong there are always smaller buildings that bite the dust first and the taller buildings stay.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Fontainebleau Resort Las Vegas

Roof 224.03 m (735.0 ft)

Possible Demolition

The 68-story Fontainebleau Vegas is described in court papers as essentially a tear-down: valuable for its land on the north end of the Strip, but burdened by a five-year-old (as of 13 November 2013), unfinished tower that Icahn may demolish.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
When you implode a building the debris pile averages 2 feet per floor X The Number of Floors. Then you have to take into consideration the angle of repose of the debris which is 2:1. So the only ones that will be imploded better have really deep basements.

I think most of them will be demolished manually until a point where the machines can take over (60 meters or so.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts