SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Huh?
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wish they would sort out their sh|t with Kings Park and the Sharks: they still haven't sent the Sharks a feasibility plan, and this is obviously crucial for the sharks... they don't want to leave a stadium that they own and that has all of their offices, gym, and training facilities for a place that doesn't have the same and is financially excessive... Julie-May cunningly avoided that question on the radio the other day, but there have been letters to the papers from the NRU bringing the lack of communication from ellingson to the fore...

·
BOFH Extraordinaire
3,891 Posts
Well Ellingson can do nothing unfortunately if the Sharks don't choose to move...

The Sharks have an airtight lease on the stadium until 20something (a good number of years after the WC) from what I know.

·
Huh?
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Ellingson can do nothing unfortunately if the Sharks don't choose to move...

Yup you're right, but I've heard the city have said that if they don't move, the city "won't guarantee" them electricity in the event of further power failures and will set up road blocks (to check drivers licences etc) at key routes before games to stop spectators getting to the games on time.

The Sharks have an airtight lease on the stadium until 20something (a good number of years after the WC) from what I know.
As far as I know it's even better than a lease - they actually own the stadium, which makes it even better for them. Their costs are around R500mill a year (that includes everything from staff payment, the sharks academy, administration and running costs, etc.) and it would only make financial sense for them to move across if the same standards can be met with similar costs.

·
22,886 Posts
^^ never rule out expropriation type tactics...

However, i feel that the Sharks will eventually move and i am sure the city will end up incentivising them to do so

·
BOFH Extraordinaire
3,891 Posts
With our crowd.. I wouldn't rule out expropriation type tactics at all..

But given the popularity of the Sharks in this city, it would be very dangerous for them to do so I think, they'll piss off quite a few high powered and very rich people very quickly.

·
Huh?
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I reckon if there's even mention of expropriation there'll be a 46000-strong mob who would put the recent riots to shame... :lol:

·
Huh?
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, as far as expropriation law goes, there'd need to be a justifiable replacement project for the site. They can't just bulldoze it because of the nice new one nextdoor, as nice as that new one is...

·
South Straddie QLD
10,881 Posts
would go all the way to the supreme court, a 59 year iron clad lease puts the sharks in the bargining position, even if sutters and jules cant see it.
Sharks will move for the 2011 season but the city will encentivise them and the sharks will get aeverything they want out of the deal. Other wise the citys is fucked with a tax payer funder white elephant and the sharks enforce their lease

·
22,886 Posts
^^ their justification could be the development of a new tennis centre and other extra sports facilities for the precinct. How about creating a thread to chat about this issue separately from all of this?

·
22,886 Posts
Guys i have moved the discussion from the Durban beachfront thread to here. Lets discuss this important issue.

·
Registered
449 Posts
how do the locals feel about it? would you rather see sharks games in the new stadium?

watched SA beat NZ at the tank a couple of years ago, 2nd to ellis park it is the best stadium i have been to. super steep on the grandstands, intimidating, it all works so well.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
from what i know...and mike has mentioned it, they are proposing turning absa stadium into a tennis precinct in order to keep sporting stadiums in close proximity, they have also mentioned in the past of getting rid of kingsmead and building a new cricket stadium at the mashie golf course right next to windsor golf course

·
Registered
449 Posts
sad that it has come to this, kingspark = one of the most awesome rugga stadiums on the planet - FACT. lot of heritage will be lost.

i would however agree that durbs needs a new cricket facility, kingsmead is somewhat of an eyesore. be cool if they get a proper venue. maybe ppl will even start pitching for the boxing day test?

·
22,886 Posts
Not heard about a new cricket stadium...plans i have say that the mashie course will become a new equestrian facility, archery and something that slips my mind. The current horse area will become an indoor sports centre, sports institute in association with the sharks and sports retail area

1 - 20 of 23 Posts