SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Baltimore/DC Corridorite
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was reading some replies on another thread. it seems as if bmore/md benefitted from dc because of the huge # of white collar jobs it supports. id on't know if it would be the hub of the mid atlantic. theres always philly. although i guess bmore would be seen in a better light if it weren't so close to dc but i'm not so sure. i noticed that the preponderance of forumers seem to be liberals. it seems as if md would be more of an ohio politically than a liberal state without the dc suburbs. well maybe more liberal than ohio cuz the population would be lower. the bmore area would be a larger %age of md's population. but note that no bmore counties are liberal like pg and moco. also would there still be a majority black county with a high population like pgco? i've read that gtown and alexandria were major cities long ago. i wonder what would have happened w/o dc? then of course there's dc's effect on the bmore real estate mkt.

·
Baltimore/DC Corridorite
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh and maybe bmore would have a bball team and a decent transit system though not so sure about the transit system

·
Baltimore/DC Corridorite
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not as wealthy. not as much sprawl. more affordable real estate though bmore's was affordable until recently.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
^ Lets not forget that Maryland has one of the strongest biotechnology sectors in the country. DC jobs have helped, but I wouldnt at all say that Maryland's proximity to Washington is the sole factor in the overall wealth of the state. Besides...lets not forget. Both Baltimore and Maryland were here first. Maryland gave DC some of our land so it could be planned and developed. Perhaps Washington should be thanking the great State of Maryland.

·
Registered
782 Posts
One only needs to look at history to derive an answer to this question. In the 1850's, Baltimore was the second largest city in the country and was behind only New York City in size. It was larger than Philadelphia and it had a huge merchant class that led to many forturnes being made here. We still see the benifits of that era today in The Walter Art Gallery (ammassed and donated to the city by a businessman), John's Hopkins (started when a businessman died and left money to do such), and The Pratt Library System (again funded by a wealthy businessman).

As the Capital grew, the amount of growth that went to Baltimore lessened at a proportinate rate. Baltimore is still the largest city in the region, but the Washington region is larger than Baltimore's. The institution of the Income Tax, along with WWI and WWII were the tipping factors that led to us being considered the lesser of the two places. That's because the federal spending machine was created and it never went away. A city based on private enterprise can not compete with a city based on taking wealth FROM private enterprise and redistributing it.

I strongly believe that Baltimore would have been the hub of a region stretching from central PA (Harrisburg is much closer to Baltimore than any major PA city) down to North Carolina. The closest analogy would be Boston's position in the New England region. The best shopping, theater, arts, and food would have been found here and others would come here to experience it. Thats how it was in up until about the 1910, and that is how it would be today if Washington wasn't 40 miles away.

I'm all for moving the capital to North Dakota. The sooner the better. ;)

·
Baltimore/DC Corridorite
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pepperjack said:
Ever been to St. Louis?

Cincinnati?
ive been to st louis but I don't have an opinion of it. I forget and probably didnt explore it. from what i know it's comparable to bmore. i guess in your opinion its worse. anyway at least u didn't say detroit. but why do u feel this way? how do u feel about wada guy's opinion?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
waj0527 said:
^ Lets not forget that Maryland has one of the strongest biotechnology sectors in the country. DC jobs have helped, but I wouldnt at all say that Maryland's proximity to Washington is the sole factor in the overall wealth of the state. Besides...lets not forget. Both Baltimore and Maryland were here first. Maryland gave DC some of our land so it could be planned and developed. Perhaps Washington should be thanking the great State of Maryland.
Exactly but what is really unfair is that VA is benefiting from it more than Maryland is if at all. Does anybody remember Newt Gingrich's proposal for D.C. to recede to Maryland, I think it was meant as a joke but I bet they wish it was so today. Columbia County was what it would probably be called today.

If Va got Arlington back because residents were complaining about poor serivces it would only be fair for Maryland to get back the much larger piece of land it donated, the state isn't that big to begin with. Overall Maryland has been treated dirty over the years even though it has given so much.

·
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare
1,944 Posts
DCKenny said:
I guess you guys suggest there should be a Mason-Dixon line between DC and Baltimore?
that's exactly what we're suggesting

·
Registered
193 Posts
DC is doing just fine for the state of MD and VA.

It's great living so close to 2 major cities.

Everything between NY and DC benefits from these two powers.

·
Organ Bank
544 Posts
vivo said:
ive been to st louis but I don't have an opinion of it. I forget and probably didnt explore it. from what i know it's comparable to bmore. i guess in your opinion its worse. anyway at least u didn't say detroit. but why do u feel this way? how do u feel about wada guy's opinion?

Those places are pretty comprable, I agree. I don't think Baltimore would be much different at all. DC's creeping influence has only been in the last 5 - 7 years, in my opinion.

I looked at historical census data, St. Louis and Cincinnati were two places that were top 10 cities throughout the middle 1800's much like Baltimore. St Louis has had a more significant drop, but it's within the city limits itself--the metro area still has over 2 million according to the Wikipedia. The main reason they were population centers is close to obsolete, but they continue and maintain due to historical inertia.

People in this thread area talking if DC wasn't the capital there would be no people at all, and that is a very impossible thought. Alexandria and Georgetown were two decent-sized, important cities even before 1800. I think at worst those two would comparable to Savannah and more likely it would be close to Charleston, SC. And it would be benefitting almost as much from sun belt growth that places further south are getting. Probably be a metro of a million at this point, even without being the capital.

·
Baltimore/DC Corridorite
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
anyone think there would still be a sizeable city on the potomac(alexandria and georgetown) if dc wasn't there besides pepperjack? how big is charleston city/msa?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts