Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Caleuphoria
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you build a completely new stadium? If so, where?

Or keep the stadium we have and completely gut it out and update it's infrastructure?

Would you build a brand new swimming stadium? What about the Sports Arena?

As far as promotion, what would you do? How would you have the city make the most noise as far as getting the Olympics? Citywide? Commercials? Grassroots promotion?

As for myself... I'd keep the stadium we have and renovate the hell out of it, updating it so it can compete with modern Olympic stadiums from the inside out while maintaining it's historic status.

Ditto with the Sports Arena, although I would possibly build a new swimming stadium somewhere nearby (like around that parking lot that surrounds the Sports Arena).

As far as promotion, the U.S. Bank tower would have the Olympic colors on it's crown. I know there's more that we can obviously do with that, but that's just the obvious one.

Ideas? Anyone?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Wait. There's no way we're going to get the Olympics again any time soon and there's nothing that we can do about it. Our bid was the strongest the past two times we bid, but it didn't matter. The IOC thinks it would be too soon for a city to host again and the USOC doesn't want us to be this country's candidate when so many other fantastic cities haven't hosted a single Olympics. Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco all would be more appealing to the USOC right now. My guess is that we won't be a serious contender to host for another 40 years at least, maybe longer.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
How was New York a stronger bid than LA?
It wasn't a stronger bid. That's my point. We had a stronger bid than New York and a stronger bid than Chicago, but the USOC doesn't want us to host for a third time when so many other fantastic cities haven't hosted once. The IOC also isn't keen on bringing the Olympics back here for a third time when so many other cities have yet to host. London will host for the 3rd time in 2012, but the last time they hosted was in 1948. Paris was almost named host for 2012 and it would have been their 3rd time, but they last hosted in 1924. Our bid is and will continue to be stronger than the rest, but we've already hosted twice and the last time was only 25 years ago. It will be decades before we are a serious contender again.

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
It wasn't a stronger bid. That's my point. We had a stronger bid than New York and a stronger bid than Chicago, but the USOC doesn't want us to host for a third time when so many other fantastic cities haven't hosted once. The IOC also isn't keen on bringing the Olympics back here for a third time when so many other cities have yet to host. London will host for the 3rd time in 2012, but the last time they hosted was in 1948. Paris was almost named host for 2012 and it would have been their 3rd time, but they last hosted in 1924. Our bid is and will continue to be stronger than the rest, but we've already hosted twice and the last time was only 25 years ago. It will be decades before we are a serious contender again.
I agree.

The only US cities that I feel should host the Olympics anytime soon are Chicago, and (even though they haven't put in a big as far as I'm aware) Washington D.C.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I agree.

The only US cities that I feel should host the Olympics anytime soon are Chicago, and (even though they haven't put in a big as far as I'm aware) Washington D.C.
A Washington DC bid would be extremely difficult because you'd have to make three states/district work together. The political complications of getting Maryland, Virginia and DC to work together is mind numbing.

Personally, I think Chicago, New York, San Francisco and Philadelphia could all do a tremendous job.

·
Caleuphoria
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, never seen it that way... so basically, L.A. won't have another shot at the Olympics in our lifetimes.

Kind of makes sense, since it was 50+ years since L.A. was able to hold the Olympics again since '32.

And the Coliseum more than likely won't even be an option at that time. So we wouldn't have a choice but to build a new one somewhere.

Well, good luck to Chicago and if San Fran is going to bid anytime soon, to them as well.

Anyway, LASF, if lock this thread up if you get a chance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.