Skyscraper City Forum banner

Would you rather have Old Snow Hill or the New Snow Hill Development?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Ahoy Ahoy
7,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just interested to know what people think. Would you rather have the Old Snow Hill Station...

...or the new development?

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,509 Posts
The old station with the tramlines in front, easy.
As long as Snow Hill happened somewhere.

·
Ahoy Ahoy
7,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thnk so, but i was just curious to see what people think. Is it progress from the old one or is it still a step behind?

After all this is skyscrapers.com where we do love tall things, where the old station was low rise. Stranger things have happened.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
I'd say the new one, as I feel the old station would not be able to sustain modern passenger figures anyway. The new development has also set a lot of things up for Birmingham that the old Snow Hill wouldn't have done.

·
ex-pat Brummie
6,475 Posts
BOTH!

I think if they'd kept the old station they'd still be able to build this wonderful development next to it. There were all sorts of marshalling yards and spare train crap next to snow hill which would be superfluous!

I voted for the dear long lost glory that would have given us the "arrive in style" feel that is the great city's biggest shortcoming.

But don't get me wrong! This new thing is fantastic!

·
SSC Geek
2,795 Posts
I'd go for the old one purely based on the fact that we've lost that forever, and there's no way we'll ever get anything like it back. The new development could, to be fair, be built in a number of different locations.

Don't get me wrong, I love what's being built, more than any other project in the city. I think my ideal situation would be this plus a totally rebuilt station minus the carpark.

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
I would say the new one because if the old one were there, the new one wouldn't happen ;)

Seriously though, we have lost some wonderful Victorian buildings, but it is a fact we have to accept, and in a strange way we have the thank the 60's because otherwise we would struggle to get things like the Mailbox, Cube, Selfridges and New Snow Hill through planning.

Plus the old one never had a big-ass tower :banana:

·
Registered
774 Posts
as great as this development is, basically nothing is happening to that monstrosaty of a station, you look at the beautiful building that was there and wonder "if only" they buggered new street up by slapping a shopping centre on it, they buggered snow hill up by slapping a car park on it only moor street looks anything like a nice station

dont get me wrong those towers are beautiful but its just a shame of what we have now and what was there before

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again :). Snow Hill shut down and when it came to reopening it - the building was in such a bad state that it was irreparable. It wasn't 'a change of the times' and anti-victorianism which destroyed the building but just a lack of maintenance.

I have a feeling that Ballymore want to do something with the forecourt to Snow Hill. They also own one of the three entrance buildings, so if they want, they can do something there. Though I doubt they will do anything to the building as it has quality office space already.

·
Registered
774 Posts
well its still a shame that snow hill wasnt upkept i mean they managed to preserve victoria station in london, st pancreas too and somehow the government also manage to find funds to redevelop all those london stations and euston.

at least this is a step in the right direction even if very little is happening to the actual station although would have been nice if the towers were a little taller but still a fantastic development

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
^^That was because the stations were in operation, this was out for around 10 years and was left to deteriorate and rot away. It's a real shame.

·
Registered
774 Posts
ah i see, i really should read up on snow hill more!looks like it was a really fantastic building, will there be any major improvements when the metro line is extended maybe?ive not seen anything on the changes to the actual platform structure, rather just the new route of the trams

·
Registered
16,736 Posts
BOTH!

I think if they'd kept the old station they'd still be able to build this wonderful development next to it. There were all sorts of marshalling yards and spare train crap next to snow hill which would be superfluous!

I voted for the dear long lost glory that would have given us the "arrive in style" feel that is the great city's biggest shortcoming.

But don't get me wrong! This new thing is fantastic!
Oyu lost that when you rebuilt New Street lol. Cant wait till thats redone!

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
And still a shit façade, albeit in glass.

·
Registered
774 Posts
and no new platforms, its basically just a new lick of paint with a slight increase in capacity thanks to more space but no future insight built into the design - a pointless spend of 500million pounds imo

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
But then let's face it - have the likes of Railcrap and Notwork Rail [sic] ever been renowned for thinking forward and making provision for the long term in our regional cities?

Thought not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts