Skyscraper City Forum banner

Choose one

• Improving the mass transit system (expanding metrorail, adding streetcars and LRT)

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • Improving the pedestrian and bicycle transit (more bike paths, wider sidewalks)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Improving the roads (widening expressways to aleviate traffic)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Improving/adding cultural ammenities (museums, opera houses, libraries, etc...)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Improving/adding tourist ammenities (metrozoo, sequarium, aquarium, etc...)

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Improving the housing situation (building more affordable housing around Miami)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Somthing I forgot to add (list it if you want maybe I can add it later on)

Votes: 3 5.8%
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK so lets say you are the mayor of Miami-Dade including all townships (ya I know it may not be realistic but just go with me on this ok) and you have money to spend anywhere on Dade county but you can only spend it on one thing and one thing ONLY. What do you think needs the most improvement in this town?

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
#1 Ensuring that there is local funding to complete the Miami River Dredging project.

#2 Making sure that the Miami Port Tunnel is completed on time and on budget

Investing in these two projects will bring revenue and jobs to the community. Ignoring these two projects will mean that even more shippers will leave our ports for others, and jobs will be lost.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ON TIME and ON BUDGET!?!?

Geez realistic goals only please!!! This is Miami after all. :nuts:

On the subject of adding more shipping traffic in Miami. I sort of think that dredging the sheltered western side of Virgina Key or building another island south of Port of Miami (out of dredging waste) would be more fruitful if your talking about ships the size that I am thinking of. Those would be too wide to fit down the river easily.

Hmm... unfortunately I can't go back and edit the poll, only my original post. Man the polling abilities here kinda suck. They are way to restrictive.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
ON TIME and ON BUDGET!?!? Geez realistic goals only please!!! This is Miami after all. :nuts:
There is no reason why it can't be done.
I'm sorry that you think that failure is a foregone conclusion.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Mass transit, please. That is the one major thing that we need to truly become a world-class city. And it will start soon with the upcoming metrorail expansions in the next 10 years (MIC 2011, North corridor 2012, east-west corridor 2015), but I hope that even further into the future they continue to expand metrorail and add light rail lines so that Miami can all be easily accessible by mass transit.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
^ agreed and without mass transit Miami will further be at a economic disadvantage. The figures for Metrorail ridership now are abysmal at best. The demand is there but the routes are not.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It's got to be a combination of Mass transit and zoning changes (Miami21 maybe?). So many of our transit stops are underutilized as it is. Even the good ones South Miami, Dadeland North and South, are a pain to use. Coconut Grove station has a parking lot. That's just disgusting.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I agree w/ the majority, Mass Transit. Though I like Roark's point. Have you seen Hong Kong's port? I had no idea until I visited and that took my breath away more than anything else in that impressive city. Not to compare us to them, it just shows we have room for growth. The affordable housing does not need as much money, it just needs to be under better control (no corruption). Any more cultural and tourist attractions will come easier with a great transit system I believe. Pedestrian and Bicycle friendly streets work hand in hand with Mass Transit, but the cost of infrastructure for Transit is much more, so that would by far be my choice.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
SORRY TO SAY BUT WITHOUT PEOPLE

THERE IS NO MASS TRANSIT OR MONEY TO RUN IT...

YOU NEED ALOT OF OTHER THINGS BEFORE YOU CAN PAY FOR MASS TRANSIT
SOMEONE GO BUY SIMCITY AND TRY PLAYING THE GAME...

·
Banned
655 Posts
Rx, calm down and stop screaming. What do you mean anyways? "Without people"? You first say without people and then you say without money. Which one do you truly mean? Also, there is enough money for some metrorail expansion right now but beyond the three phases that are more advanced right now we don't know....the starter of the thread posted a poll and we voted for mass transit. That is the logical choice. That doesn't mean it's definitely going to happen, it just is what we want. Please stop typing in caps lock all the time though it's really annoying and it always looks like you're screaming out your posts.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
nice to see a strong consensus on the forum for mass transit...now build those extensions already! :)

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
OK CORUNA ITS LIKE ALGEBRA

NO PEOPLE=NO MONEY=NO MASS TRANSIT

YOU NEED MORE PEOPLE TO HAVE MASS TRANSIT WHICH MEANS YOU NEED EVERYTHING ELSE TO ATTRACT THESE PEOPLE BEFORE YOU CAN HAVE ONE MORE BUS ADDED TO THE EQUATION...

·
Banned
655 Posts
Rx727sfl2002; said:
OK CORUNA ITS LIKE ALGEBRA

NO PEOPLE=NO MONEY=NO MASS TRANSIT

YOU NEED MORE PEOPLE TO HAVE MASS TRANSIT WHICH MEANS YOU NEED EVERYTHING ELSE TO ATTRACT THESE PEOPLE BEFORE YOU CAN HAVE ONE MORE BUS ADDED TO THE EQUATION...
So 5 million+ is not enough people? Many cities with less people than South Florida have mass transit far superior to ours. You don't need 20 million like NYC to have mass transit, many cities that have a smaller population than Miami have decent mass transit.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think adding tourism amenities to Miami,making it like a miniature Walt Disney World would be a great way to earn revenues for the city.Setting up the venture in South Miami near Homestead would be a good location

1 - 20 of 158 Posts