SkyscraperCity banner

What would you think if Charlie Crist became McCain's V.P. running mate?

• I'd be good for McCain and Florida

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I'd be good for the state, but he wouldn't help McCain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd be good for McCain, but it wouldn't help the state

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • He's a bad V.P./running mate for the state and McCain

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I don't care

Votes: 4 22.2%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crist Accepts Invite To Spend Weekend With McCains
By BILLY HOUSE
The Tampa Tribune
Published: May 22, 2008
Updated: 05/22/2008 12:13 am

WASHINGTON - Just a Memorial Day weekend barbecue?

Or an early grilling by Arizona Sen. John McCain and campaign aides of potential vice presidential running mates?

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist and at least two other Republicans who have been widely mentioned as contenders to fill out the Republican ticket this fall are headed to McCain's ranch-compound near Sedona, Ariz., over Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

But exactly why?

"The governor got a call from his friend, inviting him to go," confirmed Crist spokeswoman Erin Isaac, identifying McCain as having extended the offer.

The governor was happy to accept the invite to a "social get-together," Isaac said. He plans to bring along his girlfriend, New York socialite Carol Rome.

In all, 10 couples were invited, including Bobby Jindal, the governor of Louisiana and his wife, and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and his wife.

Romney, who ran unsuccessfully against McCain for the party's presidential nomination this year, and Jindal have accepted, said a McCain campaign staffer, Jeff Sadosky.

Yet another Republican governor, Minnesota's Tim Pawlenty, who is also considered a potential contender for the ticket, was invited but will not attend because of a previous engagement.

When the news of McCain's weekend plans and the invited guests got out Wednesday, it prompted wide speculation in The New York Times and elsewhere that the presumptive GOP nominee for president is beginning to narrow his search for a running mate.

After all, McCain has said that he is in the initial stages of selecting a vice presidential candidate for the fall campaign, with as many as 20 names on his early checklists.

McCain's campaign downplayed talk that this weekend is part of that process, saying that the senator and his wife, Cindy, often host friends and political acquaintances at his ranch, amid the red rocks of Arizona.

Often described by the national media as McCain's Sedona ranch, the ranch is actually located near Cottonwood off a dirt road in what is known as Hidden Valley, complete with creeks, lush greenery, and a rustic cabin.

"The vetting of possible vice presidential candidates is just not on the agenda," Sadosky said.

From Baton Rouge, Jindal's office released a statement saying he has met with McCain many times before and discussed the challenges facing the Gulf Coast region as communities continue to build after Hurricane Katrina. Like Crist, he is looking forward to joining McCain and the other guests this weekend, the statement said.

This is not Crist's first invitation to spend time in Arizona with McCain. Earlier, Crist had to cancel a planned weekend with the McCains because of another, previously scheduled event.

Reporter Billy House can be reached at (202) 662-7673 or [email protected].
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/may/22/na-crist-accepts-invite-to-spend-weekend-with-mcca/?news-metro

·
Registered
878 Posts
Crist Accepts Invite To Spend Weekend With McCains
By BILLY HOUSE
The Tampa Tribune
Published: May 22, 2008
Updated: 05/22/2008 12:13 am

WASHINGTON - Just a Memorial Day weekend barbecue?

Or an early grilling by Arizona Sen. John McCain and campaign aides of potential vice presidential running mates?

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist and at least two other Republicans who have been widely mentioned as contenders to fill out the Republican ticket this fall are headed to McCain's ranch-compound near Sedona, Ariz., over Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

But exactly why?

"The governor got a call from his friend, inviting him to go," confirmed Crist spokeswoman Erin Isaac, identifying McCain as having extended the offer.

The governor was happy to accept the invite to a "social get-together," Isaac said. He plans to bring along his girlfriend, New York socialite Carol Rome.

In all, 10 couples were invited, including Bobby Jindal, the governor of Louisiana and his wife, and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and his wife.

Romney, who ran unsuccessfully against McCain for the party's presidential nomination this year, and Jindal have accepted, said a McCain campaign staffer, Jeff Sadosky.

Yet another Republican governor, Minnesota's Tim Pawlenty, who is also considered a potential contender for the ticket, was invited but will not attend because of a previous engagement.

When the news of McCain's weekend plans and the invited guests got out Wednesday, it prompted wide speculation in The New York Times and elsewhere that the presumptive GOP nominee for president is beginning to narrow his search for a running mate.

After all, McCain has said that he is in the initial stages of selecting a vice presidential candidate for the fall campaign, with as many as 20 names on his early checklists.

McCain's campaign downplayed talk that this weekend is part of that process, saying that the senator and his wife, Cindy, often host friends and political acquaintances at his ranch, amid the red rocks of Arizona.

Often described by the national media as McCain's Sedona ranch, the ranch is actually located near Cottonwood off a dirt road in what is known as Hidden Valley, complete with creeks, lush greenery, and a rustic cabin.

"The vetting of possible vice presidential candidates is just not on the agenda," Sadosky said.

From Baton Rouge, Jindal's office released a statement saying he has met with McCain many times before and discussed the challenges facing the Gulf Coast region as communities continue to build after Hurricane Katrina. Like Crist, he is looking forward to joining McCain and the other guests this weekend, the statement said.

This is not Crist's first invitation to spend time in Arizona with McCain. Earlier, Crist had to cancel a planned weekend with the McCains because of another, previously scheduled event.

Reporter Billy House can be reached at (202) 662-7673 or [email protected].
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/ma...invite-to-spend-weekend-with-mcca/?news-metro
When will the nightmare in Florida end....

·
Registered
639 Posts
We we're suspecting he had this ambition when he was running for gov. I don't think he has the right experience. And really, How popular is he in Florida anyway? What has he done? What has he fixed? What crisis has he walked the state through? What has he spearheaded? Maybe he had a minor role in something, I'm just not aware of it. The nation certainly doesn't know anything about him. There just must be better choices out there. McCain needs someone who can take over if need be. Crist has less experience than even Obama. People are not going to vote McCain because of Crist.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
IMO, he has little relevant experience and has been a lame duck governor. At this point he has done very little for Florida except throw smoke and mirrors. BUT on a national level the things he has done would look decent to good:

"I lowered property taxes in Florida" - yeah, right.
"I proposed and am working on health care plans for lower income individuals" - sort of.
"I Engineered the Florida disaster recovery fund"
"I put Florida at the forefront of the global warming fight" - this one I can sort of believe in.
etc....

After all he is "The Peoples Governor"

Steve

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
"People's Governor?" I'll believe those statements if he starts ACTUALLY improving healthcare, mass transit, senior services, and education here.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
how does one define "socialite"? just say who she is and what she does... (maybe that's the point).

McCain wants the FLA votes. think of Bush-Quayle, except Crist was, what, attorney general, right?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
^It's going to be tough for McCain--Bush "won" Florida without the popular vote, and that was with ties to the state.

Now wouldn't it be interesting to see a McCain/Crist, Obama/Nelson ticket?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm not a fan of Crist's. Like others have said, what has this man accomplished? A much better pick will be either Romney or Jindal. I knew all along Crist had these kinds of aspirations, with his bland, inoffensive, upbeat style, but no real meat (and what's the deal with that weird motto of his, did he steal that from the Chinese gov?). Then came the inevitable and obvious brown nosing of McCain during the primaries. He would probably hurt McCain's chances, and would help Florida's image about as much as Jimmy Carter helped Georgia's.

BTW, I wish the presidential showdown were a Romney vs. Clinton matchup. Are the current "nominees" the best America could do?:eek:hno:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts