SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to have a very low unemployment around 4 percent, incomes lag behind a bit and crime is very, very low. In fact isnt Appleton the lowest crime metro area in America acccording to Morgan Quinto. They have a 10,000 person college in Osh Kosh.

Anyway, it seems nice being so close to Milaukee and Chicago.

Please tell me if you know anything about Appleton MSA.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
weren't you the one who started the north dakota thing yesterday,why are you trying to do the same tonight

·
Hi
1,480 Posts
I go to the fox cities quite a bit, and it's pretty nice. Oshkosh is kind of dumpy, but Appleton has a lively downtown for a non-college town of it's size, it's quite clean, has a large mall ride outside it, and is pretty nice. Also, Willem Dafoe and Harry Houdini are from there.

Has some big problems with Hmong gangs, though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I am curious because I saw that Morgan Quinto said that its the safest metro in America and I look a little more and was wondering if any of the SSC Wisconsin residents knew more.

It seems like a decent place and I just want to know more thats it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
http://foxcities.org/fox_cities/intro.html

There's pictures, stats and a video. There was a list recently in some magazine; "safest metros above 200,000 population" appleton was 10, madison was 3rd.

Oshkosh really isn't part of the fox cities, nor is green bay. it's part of the fox river valley, but only the towns listed on that website or on typical metro area maps are included in the term "the fox cities."

Just a picture of a physical map, but this is all of the municipalties included in the term "the fox cities" -
http://bookmarkhosting.com/wisconsin/Appleton.jpg

·
Hi
1,480 Posts
I spend an enormous amount of time in Oshkosh, and despite what the website says, it's definitely a fox city. In fact, I'm in Oshkosh right now... Appleton is a 15-20 minute drive.

And Appleton is a non-college town. They have Fox Valley tech, some of which is located in Oshkosh, as well as Lawrence, which has barely over 1000 students, if that.

Although it "technically" is not a Fox City, most Oshkoshites will say it is, as the Fox River runs directly through the city and its like a 5 minute drive to Neenah.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah, just like Racine is part of the Milwaukee metro, but only MSA. Racine isn't suburban metropolitan. Just like Waukesha. And JUST like Oshkosh is to Appleton. The Fox River doesn't have much to do with it, it's just a region of the Fox River Valley which has dense population surrounding such a short river.

Personally I wish Oshkosh was part of the fox cities because then the suburban population would be 280,000. Though the MSA for Fox Cities is like 350,000.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Appleton-Neenah-Menasha-Oshkosh are considered as one metro area (according to the US census bureau)though Oshkosh is 18 Miles from Appleton, Oshkosh is about 5 miles or so from Neenah. Lawrence college has an enrollment of a little over 1400 students and is located near downtown Appleton. UW Oshkosh has an enrollment of just over 11,100 students. Many people from Oshkosh work and drive up toward their jobs in the Appleton through Neeah area. Oshkosh's latest population is listed at over 62,000 and Appleton's population is listed at over 71,000 . Oshkosh may lack some of the panache that Appleton may have but many people don't know the real wealth of retail in the Fox River Valley namely the Fox River Mall lies west of the city of Appleton within the confines of Grand Chute which has a population around 14,000 or a little more and the airport is located just a little furthur west in the township of Greenville. I guess I better not forget the localities of Kaukauna, Little Chute, Combined Locks, Darboy, and Kimberly the original home of Kimberly-Clark corp before they left Neenah and moved their Headquarters to Texas. the Largest Corp in the Valley now is Thrivent (formerly AAL) financial for Lutherans located along highway 41 north of Appleton. As for Oshkosh being "Dumpy" well I personally find that statement a little to strong and inacurate. there are plans in the works to bring a water park and resort along the Fox river in the old Universal Foundry property between downtown Oshkosh and the University. This proposal would also include a hotel as well. I will say that if someone were to call someone else's home city or town "Dumpy" that person would be upset with that other persons lack of tact.

·
Hi
1,480 Posts
I'm sorry to offend. It's not "dumpy" by any means- it's downtown is just a lot less lively than Appleton's, especially with the concrete block of a Mall that would look awesome if it were knocked down.

Oshkosh isn't "dumpy" its just underutilized and in my opinion, rather poorly managed. Also, vote for Mark Harris.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i live in Appleton

Here is how i would define Appleton. It is the heart of the Fox Valley, which socially should not incluce either Green Bay or Oshkosh. Many government agencies do however define those two cities as members of the Fox Cities. As far as conservative, it used to be more conservative, but recent voting informaiton suggests it is moderating. It used to be very conservative. I think that title in wisconsin would go to one of the milwuakee suburb communities. In terms of Downtown- It is clean, very low crime ( No murders in whole city as of July of 2005), relatively prosperous ( lacks both high poverty and superrich), schools are well supported, taxes are a little below average for a city in Wisconsin. Development downtown has lost some steam. In the beginning of this decade a drive to build a 45 million dollar Performing Arts Center was successful. A host of smaller projects then followed in the downtown area. Then the Richmond terrace project completed in the past year. It is a very large brownfield building that isnt tall enough (5 stories) to have signicant views of the city and has a rapidly developing reputation as a empty shell. Unfortunately, it may be a rotten aftertaste for prospective condo developers in the downtown appleton area. In turns of the last year Appleton has had little downtown development to brag about compared to the projects both underconstruction and be battered about in downtown Green Bay. Nothing wrong with that since Appleton does have numerous developments on its fringes. Hope that helps you understand a little more about Appleton.

·
Banned
699 Posts
Badgers77 said:
It has the Fox River Mall, which I remember hearing is the 2nd largest mall in the midwest, I believe, behind the MoA
It's the biggest in Wisconsin, although Mayfair Mall in Milwaukee has about the same number of stores, Fox River Mall is the biggest in area... or somethin

·
Premium Member
Seattle
3,349 Posts
I spent the Summer in Appleton for my internship with Kimberly Clark. I agree with appletonwi that the downtown developement has sort of died in the past few years. Richmond Terrace still remains a complete empty shell for retail. I considered renting one of its condos for when I move back this December, but the price tag is way too high for what it is. It is too far away from downtown and too short (only 5 stories) to justify its >$1000 monthly rent for a one bedroom. I am giving serious consideration to purchasing one of the upcoming downtown condos in Green Bay and comuting to Appleton for work instead.
But other than that, the city is very very clean in all areas of the city, and it has a certain sense of "newness" to it that other Wisconsin cities lack. It seemed to me to be rather progressive, being the only city in the state of Wisconsin to pass a complete smoking ban in all work places including bars. And with strong opposition from bar owners, the city seems to be standing strong in its decision. I'm sure it has a bright future ahead for itself, just not in the downtown area.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.