SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading that some Palestinian leaders are talking about declaring an independent Palestinian country, regardless of the final-status negotiations with Israel. This seems like a negotiation tactic, but given that this moment could conceivably happen at any point in the near future, I was wondering what would be the consequences of this action? That is, what would happen "the day after"? (And I am not just talking about in the area of Israel/Palestine, but more broadly- what would happen in the region? How would this shake things up both regionally as well as in other countries in the region? Would this affect the broader Arab-Israeli conflict? What about the issue of Palestinian refugees? How would this affect other countries like Iran, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, etc etc) Any thoughts?

·
Dreams of Babylon Rising
8,848 Posts
well.. the day after absolutely nothing will happen :lol: !

Israel, USA, EU will all unanimously not recognize the deceleration.

Given that all of the Arab world recognizes Palestine as a legitimate state already (and most of the Muslim world for that matter), so therefore, any deceleration of independence wouldn't mean much anyway!

Palestine declaring independence will NOT work like Kosovo..

·
Registered
899 Posts
But how is that possible though? And they can't act on their own otherwise Israel will attack them. For example what would happen if Palestinian government decides to forcibly evacuate all Jewish settlers in the West Bank? I think it would just mean Israel coming in to remove the Palestinian government.

·
arctic tern
3,251 Posts
Nothing- Taiwan isn't recognized as an independent state by the UN but yet it's a very successful nation, so even if the UN recognizes that Palestinian state it won't change much. A declaration of independence becomes relevant only when true independence is achieved- that's definitely not the case with the Palestinian Authority , which is dependent on foreign aid and the Israeli army in order to partially govern the Palestinians.

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But how is that possible though? And they can't act on their own otherwise Israel will attack them. For example what would happen if Palestinian government decides to forcibly evacuate all Jewish settlers in the West Bank? I think it would just mean Israel coming in to remove the Palestinian government.
You're talking about two different issues.

I don't think Israel would attack Palestine if it declared its independence. But I do think Israel would respond with an equally "extreme" measure.

However, if the Palestinians tried to forcibly evacuate all Jewish settlers in the West Bank, which would be seen by some people as ethnic cleansing, then I think Israel would definitely consider a more forceful/aggresive response.

·
Registered
899 Posts
חבר1.0;66831643 said:
You're talking about two different issues.

I don't think Israel would attack Palestine if it declared its independence. But I do think Israel would respond with an equally "extreme" measure.

However, if the Palestinians tried to forcibly evacuate all Jewish settlers in the West Bank, which would be seen by some people as ethnic cleansing, then I think Israel would definitely consider a more forceful/aggresive response.
But that is part of trying to be independent, because Jews illegally settled on their land without their permission, and Palestine has a right even right now to remove them, unless they reach some kind of compromise and the settlers become Palestinian citizens, like how you get Arab citizens in Israel, but idk if that would happen because the whole idea of them being settlers is because they see everywhere the Palestinians live as Jewish land that should be part of Israel, and they deny Palestine's right to exist.

There can't really be a proper Palestinian state until Israel allows it, but right now they are not allowing it. But what do you mean by Palestine declaring independence? Are you talking about just West Bank/Gaza? Or are you talking about Arab areas of Israel trying to separate from Israel?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
If the Palestinians declare a state at the moment, it will simply be another failed Arab state. At the moment, there is no real drafted Palestinian constiution, no parliement, no clear representative of the Palestinian population, and of course all the different factions continue to attack and assault one another for "complete supermacy" over the Palestinian people. The Palestinian issue nowadays is just to messed up and complicated, and it would be foolish to declare an independant state under the current political landscape.

The only way the Palestinians will truly be able to pressure Israel and the world community into accepting them as an independant state and prove that they are capable of operating and governing an independant state is through setting up independant democratic insitutions (with the help of other Arab states) and a drafted consitution (that would be the official consitution of any future independant Palestinian state). Further, the constiution must be adopted by all the different factions, including Hamas. Democratic elections should be held regularly with a strong parliement that integrates all the different representatives of the Palestinians.

There should be no attempt to violently force any Israeli settlers out of the West Bank, because it would only give Israel an excuse to abolish any attempt by the Palestinians to form an independant state. That should be dealt with through direct negotiations, and at the time, I believe that Palestinians will have garnered alot of respect and support from the international community.

That will probably never happen, but that is just how I see things should work out. I highly doubt it will, though.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
But that is part of trying to be independent, because Jews illegally settled on their land without their permission, and Palestine has a right even right now to remove them, unless they reach some kind of compromise and the settlers become Palestinian citizens, like how you get Arab citizens in Israel, but idk if that would happen because the whole idea of them being settlers is because they see everywhere the Palestinians live as Jewish land that should be part of Israel, and they deny Palestine's right to exist.

There can't really be a proper Palestinian state until Israel allows it, but right now they are not allowing it. But what do you mean by Palestine declaring independence? Are you talking about just West Bank/Gaza? Or are you talking about Arab areas of Israel trying to separate from Israel?
hahah..that kind of view is really funny.

1. There has never been a country by the name of Palestine in the history of this planet. Is it such a difficult concept to grasp?

2. Prior to the arrival of Jews from Russia at the end of the 19th century and the turn of the 20th century the land was desolate.

3. The Jews created the agricultural communities which attracted the laborers from the neighboring areas. That concept drives Mexicans up North. People travel in search of employment. For that very reason 30K Egyptian Arabs settled in Israel rather than taking their Israeli Arab brides back to Egypt.

There are many other points but to suggest that Jews settled their historical land illegally is ludicrous especially when one factors in the Hashemite occupation of the land West of the Jordan river which they later retrieved from and therefore the area lost any legal definition or status. Just because the Arabs claiming the Palestinian identity want to make it their own and take it away from Jews it does not make it illegal. It is the Jewish land but for the purposes of the current argument we can define it as the "disputed" land.

We dont need to worry about their declarations. The Palestinian Arabs don't want a state. Their threat to declare a state is just another type of warfare against the Jewish sovereignty. They live to hurt Israel. They dont have any other reason to declare it unilaterally. Had they really wanted peace they would have accepted the UN Partition plan back in 1947. This planet does not know any precedent when the people are given so many options to create a state which they always refuse. The reason they keep refusing it is because their ultimate objective is not a 3rd Palestinian Arab state (the Hashemite Kingdom is #1 and Hamastan is #2) but taking over the Jewish property/land and even the Jewish history (The Rachel Tomb) by all means possible.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
If the Palestinians declare a state at the moment, it will simply be another failed Arab state. At the moment, there is no real drafted Palestinian constiution, no parliement, no clear representative of the Palestinian population, and of course all the different factions continue to attack and assault one another for "complete supermacy" over the Palestinian people. The Palestinian issue nowadays is just to messed up and complicated, and it would be foolish to declare an independant state under the current political landscape.

The only way the Palestinians will truly be able to pressure Israel and the world community into accepting them as an independant state and prove that they are capable of operating and governing an independant state is through setting up independant democratic insitutions (with the help of other Arab states) and a drafted consitution (that would be the official consitution of any future independant Palestinian state). Further, the constiution must be adopted by all the different factions, including Hamas. Democratic elections should be held regularly with a strong parliement that integrates all the different representatives of the Palestinians.

There should be no attempt to violently force any Israeli settlers out of the West Bank, because it would only give Israel an excuse to abolish any attempt by the Palestinians to form an independant state. That should be dealt with through direct negotiations, and at the time, I believe that Palestinians will have garnered alot of respect and support from the international community.

That will probably never happen, but that is just how I see things should work out. I highly doubt it will, though.
You dont have to worry about the international community. The international community side with the Palestinians despite their rocket attacks and terrorism. Most reporters that are objective anywhere else become totally subjective the moment they land in Ben Gurion. If the Palestinian Arabs can sell their narrative despite all their lies, tricks and violence imagine what would have happened if a Jewish suicide bomber had blown up a Palestinian school in Ramallah just like the Palestinian terrorists blew up the schools, kindergartens or discos in Israel?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You dont have to worry about the international community. The international community side with the Palestinians despite their rocket attacks and terrorism. Most reporters that are objective anywhere else become totally subjective the moment they land in Ben Gurion. If the Palestinian Arabs can sell their narrative despite all their lies, tricks and violence imagine what would have happened if a Jewish suicide bomber had blown up a Palestinian school in Ramallah just like the Palestinian terrorists blew up the schools, kindergartens or discos in Israel?
^^^^:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
^^ Posting a video a of an anti-semite, homophobic "lecturer" won't help your case.
It is called reality, calling it other than that won't help your case.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
^^ OMG, is this the only part you really thought about??!:lol:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
^^And you thought I post it for that particular thing, I'll explain to you when I come to riyadh next Jan:cheers:

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
^^ Of course not, but how can you account for his credibility when he blatantly exhibited those traits among other things?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts