Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
i've changed my mind
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats going to happen in a couple of hundred years or less, when the skyscrapers that are being built now reach the end of their shelf-life (as in, when they're no longer safe to ocupy because of aging materials).

It may be a silly question, but i think demolishing and rebuilding all these buildings will be quite painful no?

or are these buildings designed to live forever?

Discussion.

·
26,701 Posts
I would imagine the leasing rates would get cheaper and cheaper and cheaper (comparatively over a hundred/2hundred year period) until it becomes economically viable to rip them down and start again.

Also by then I'd imagine material recycling would be very efficient.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I suppose advancements in demolition technology will be significant over the next 100/200 years.

Imagine how quick it will be by then to demolish a building, and then construct a new one very quickly with new methods and materials.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Being a terrorist will become a trade. youll need to go to TAFE for qualifications.

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
The 187m Singer building in New York (built in 1908) was demolished in 1968, to make way for the 226m 1 Liberty Plaza. So tallies can be demolished when they get old.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Yeah it is a shame. It looked like a really nice building.

I would hope that when really beautiful skyscrapers die then they would be rebuilt but with a slightly altered futuristic design.

·
Agent of Change
7,218 Posts
I suppose in the future you would be able to restrengthen the structure of a skyscraper somehow. Maybe like a botox injection but with concrete or steel that hardens within a few seconds. I know Eureka is designed to last 400 years so I wouldn't start worrying just yet.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I think alot of skyscrapers will be preserved and I don't think we will see as many buildings come down as we think. Technology has made it possible to preserve buildings prolonging their lives.

The earthly lives of skyscrapers will be long!!!!

·
, , and , Fade to Black.
7,974 Posts
Just fly planes into them!
I thought of the same joke as i read about tearing down a 300meter+ but not low enough to use it

All of the above only works if the economy and technology of the world continues to grow.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Why would the skyscrapers we are building now last any longer than those that were built in the 50's, 60's and 70's? I somehow don't thin we need to worry about them getting to a point where they are unsafe, they will be pulled down for being unattractive long before that.

·
, , and , Fade to Black.
7,974 Posts
agree there
how many have ment the end of their lives ?
Most get redeveloped before then because of the nature of growing cites and demand

·
Lord Melbourne
4,258 Posts
Dont worry, we'll all be dead and the world covered in nuclear fallout before any of them need to be pulled down.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think the demolition factor could be done today, easily but carefully - i'd reckon the biggest probo would be getting 400+ different owners to agree to it would be the real issue - (of course this applies to a resi 'scraper)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Saw a doco a few years ago about NYC and the problem that many of it's buildings that date back to the 19th C were only designed for just over 100 years. They said the repair bills just to maintain them will cost a fortune, but what is the price of keeping their heritage?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts