Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Renaming the name of Georgetown, Gurney Drive or Macaliseter Road into local heroes name wouldn't do much help in the re-making of Penang. Instead, this will cause lots of problems. Thats the most stupid and foolish suggestion by the MPPP and Prof Dr Muhammad Hj Salleh (lecturer of School of Humanities). Plz dun waste the money of the people. There is many others project that could be done to make Penang a better place to live.... Georgetown is more than a city to Penang. Its the symbol of Penangites. We are proud of it. So don't tarnish and take our symbol from us.

Penangites: Lets raise up together and kick this stupid suggestion away..............

·
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter
10,127 Posts
theanaun said:
Renaming the name of Georgetown, Gurney Drive or Macaliseter Road into local heroes name wouldn't do much help in the re-making of Penang. Instead, this will cause lots of problems. Thats the most stupid and foolish suggestion by the MPPP and Prof Dr Muhammad Hj Salleh (lecturer of School of Humanities). Plz dun waste the money of the people. There is many others project that could be done to make Penang a better place to live.... Georgetown is more than a city to Penang. Its the symbol of Penangites. We are proud of it. So don't tarnish and take our symbol from us.

Penangites: Lets raise up together and kick this stupid suggestion away..............
first of all, WELCOME, theanaun

i was just looking for the article to post it here.

i agree with you 100% this is one of the silliest thing that can ever be done. why not just give the name to other new townships that are being developed?? i don't want future townships to be named like SS1, SS2, USJ 1, USJ 2 and things like that...

if they are so eager to change the names, better change those names of villages in Seberang Prai such as "Permatang Tiga Ringgit" :bash:

·
10,127 Posts
Saturday April 16, 2005

Don: Rename George Town

PENANG: A National Literary Laureate has called for George Town to be renamed Tanjung or Tanjung Penegri.

Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) School of Humanities lecturer Prof Dr Muhammad Hj Salleh said it was timely to rename the city as the locals hardly used the word “George Town” in their daily conversation.

“The city was widely referred to as Tanjung Penegri by the older generation. So it will be fitting to rename it Tanjung or Tanjung Penegri,” he said yesterday.

He was commenting on a call by Seberang Jaya state assemblyman Ariff Shah Omar Shah on Wednesday to rename George Town “Bandar Datuk Abdullah Fahim” to rid the city of its colonial past.

Dr Muhammad said, however, that any renaming exercise should be done properly, adding that USM was willing to conduct studies to find a suitable name.

“Calls for a name change were made several times in the last few decades. Even the local council had called for a change. But nothing had materialised,” he said.

Dr Muhammad said an in-depth study should also be carried out to support proposals to change the name of Gurney Drive to Tan Sri Wong Pow Nee Drive and Macalister Road to Jalan Arumugampillai.

“It must be done to reflect the plural society and honour patriots and freedom fighters,” he said.

Historian Prof Abu Talib Ahmad said George Town was only used in government documents and by students for geography or history.

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

·
12,964 Posts
TYW said:
first of all, WELCOME, theanaun

i was just looking for the article to post it here.

i agree with you 100% this is one of the silliest thing that can ever be done. why not just give the name to other new townships that are being developed?? i don't want future townships to be named like SS1, SS2, USJ 1, USJ 2 and things like that...

if they are so eager to change the names, better change those names of villages in Seberang Prai such as "Permatang Tiga Ringgit" :bash:

Hahaha.....I was about to make a new thread on this .....luckily I stumbled across this discussion :D

Yeah.....VERY SILLY to rename the names. The govt already made similar mistakes in KL and Melaka.....dun they realised that people LOVE Jonker Street more than Jalan Hang Tuah? Or more people knew Weld Road or Birch Road in KL more than Jalan Raja Chulan or Jalan Maharajalela. Then who in the world uses Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Airport? Everyone call it Subang Airport :D

Schools like Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan V.I. are still known as Victoria Institution despite the heavy use of abbreviation to suppress colonial name usage. Schools like BBGS (Bukit Bintang Girls School) of course had been erased from the face of the Earth thanks to the relocation and the new name of Sri Bintang. So names are very important. A change of name could spell doom to an institution.

And TYW is right......I felt that naming places like USJ4 , SS2, Section 14 and stuffs like that is silly. I'd rather have places name like Taman Bukit Anggerik or Taman Cheras.

Nice names like Overseas Union Garden had been renamed Taman OUG. :eek:hno:

They could retain colonial names and name new townships for these local heroes mah. Afterall .....colonial figures do played a big part in our history.

Dun they ever learn? :no:

And of course:

Welcome to the forums Theanaun!

·
Hellexpress
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please don't rename it... I love the name Georgetown... sounds more classy

·
Jian Fa
3,676 Posts
i think they are not gonna be success in renaming George Town. I'm sure penangites will fight for the original name, George Town...

And i like the George Town name so so much..

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
to rename George Town “Bandar Datuk Abdullah Fahim” to rid the city of its colonial past
he might as well knock down all the colonial buildin in Georgetown!!

" Tanjung Penegri ".. i never heard any old people in penang use this weird name to call penang before.. that guy must be :weird: Tanjung Penegri.. :lol: sounds like a kampong name..

·
Registered
997 Posts
TYW said:
i don't want future townships to be named like SS1, SS2, USJ 1, USJ 2 and things like that
Just to mention, SS stands for "Sungai Way-Subang" and USJ stands for "UEP Subang Jaya". ;) So there is actually some sort of history/ meaning to the name. I can imagine all the hoo-ha if they changed Subang names into “taman-something”. It will loose its identity. That’s the issue with renaming George Town. Why change something that is widely accepted and recognized? :?

·
12,964 Posts
argory said:
Just to mention, SS stands for "Sungai Way-Subang" and USJ stands for "UEP Subang Jaya". ;) So there is actually some sort of history/ meaning to the name. I can imagine all the hoo-ha if they changed Subang names into “taman-something”. It will loose its identity. That’s the issue with renaming George Town. Why change something that is widely accepted and recognized? :?

Yup.......I think what he meant (and what I meant) is that these names are digits and have not much of a character at all. Look at Paramount Garden in PJ or even USJ Taipan.....what a charming name. Of course being a Klang Valley native......I am so used to names like USJ 3, USJ4, Section 14, Section 17, SS2 and SS3 and I wouldn't want em changing those as these are ORIGINAL names and the names had been like that since the inception of USJ. ;) But numbers have no character and are confusing to non-native. :(

What I had meant is that they should in fact named those place by names instead of numbers.....I know UEP is the developer but it is an overkill to use USJ all over the place. Furthermore not many people (even those staying in USJ) knew what USJ stands for :D as I love to ask em this question hehehehe :lol: Well.....that's not important hehehe :D

In fact places like TTDI are very well named after local 'heros' or tokoh-tokoh like Zaaba and Tuan Abang Haji Openg for instance....that should be the way......new housing uses new names like Tun HS Lee or even Agong's name or PM's name. Colonial names IMO should be preserved as these colonial icons too contributed to nation building. ;)

Who could deny the effort of Sir Henry Gurney or Sir Frank Swettenham or Sir Gerald Templer in nation building? Or even Sir Stamford Raffles..... :eek: ....which without his intervention.......our beloved Porta De Santiago in Melaka would be gone to the wreckers ball.

Renaming exercise could sometimes be confusing as they somtimes are so fickle minded that they changed it like 3 times. Examples are:

- Circular Road -to- Jalan Pekeliling -to- Jalan Tun Razak

- High Street -to- Jalan Bandar -to- Jalan Tun HS Lee

Let the old name stay and cherish history. Let us move on with these Malaysianised names in new areas. Erasing history or Malaysianising names wouldn't make us more Malaysian or patriotic ;)

·
12,964 Posts
baqthier said:
^ it's not the gov't. It's just a suggestion by a lecturer and some assemblyman. ;)

Sooner or later it would be the govt's effort as these assemblymen are BN people........I could feel that the same process which 'hurt' KL and Melaka would haunt Penang in months to come unless our parliament could get their act straight and not debating on silly and petty stuffs such as this and things like MAS cabin crew Kebayas, Sepet, LRT ad and Malaysiakini's April Fool's joke :eek:hno:

I just hope that these so-called 'patriotic' or Malaysianization stuffs won't get too much into their heads and they used these as their reelection tools. Don't they realised that not only history are being erased but also economic implications as businesses had to change their addresses which would cost millions at times? :no:

Like PCK like to say: "Use your brain! Use your brain!" :lol:

·
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa
1,568 Posts
I think they might as well change KL's Jalan Istana to Jalan Duli Yang Maha Mulia Yang Di-pertuan Agong Sultan XXX al-XXX ketiga putera Sultan XXX al-XXX kelima. and they need to change it every 5 years.

They should also change Petronas Twin Towers to Bangunan-bangunan Kembar Petronas, and Berjaya Times Square to Kawasan Segi Empat Tepat Waktu-Waktu Berjaya. KL has suffered many road and places names changed. I heard Bukit Bintang was called Starhill before eh?

I wouldn't be surprised if in future we have names like Jalan Ghafar Baba, Lorong Samyvellu, etc... PUKE!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
TYW said:
Saturday April 16, 2005

Don: Rename George Town

PENANG: A National Literary Laureate has called for George Town to be renamed Tanjung or Tanjung Penegri.

Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) School of Humanities lecturer Prof Dr Muhammad Hj Salleh said it was timely to rename the city as the locals hardly used the word “George Town” in their daily conversation.

“The city was widely referred to as Tanjung Penegri by the older generation. So it will be fitting to rename it Tanjung or Tanjung Penegri,” he said yesterday.
why do they care so much about older generation........its like going back to ancient times (not to offend everyone of many generations)

but seriously i like the name Georgetwn because that name is the only name given to any big Malaysian city.........(not to mention that Kota Kinabalu used to be called Jesselton)

i won't blame or even care if anyone called Georgetown as 'Tanjung Penegri' or 'Tanjung' or whatever. but changing its written name is probably too much.....and seriously i reject that proposal.........

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
remember Point Wellesley...........now its called Seberang Perai

·
10,127 Posts
szehoong said:
Yup.......I think what he meant (and what I meant) is that these names are digits and have not much of a character at all. Look at Paramount Garden in PJ or even USJ Taipan.....what a charming name. Of course being a Klang Valley native......I am so used to names like USJ 3, USJ4, Section 14, Section 17, SS2 and SS3 and I wouldn't want em changing those as these are ORIGINAL names and the names had been like that since the inception of USJ. ;) But numbers have no character and are confusing to non-native. :(
yeah!! all these "code" kind of names sounds very millitary and hard to remember (for me :D)

taman something or bander something is much more easier to remember :)

·
10,127 Posts
AFL said:
remember Point Wellesley...........now its called Seberang Perai
actually it is Province Wellesley ;)

·
Jian Fa
3,676 Posts
^^^..but nowadays..stilll can see many website or brochure still used Province Wellesly ...

I think if they rename George Town, ppl will still use the original name...

1 - 20 of 104 Posts