SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
I would divide this into East and West.

In the West: Pacific Coast Highway (but I have to admit, the Glacier Park image above is stunning.

In the East: Blue Ridge Parkway

·
Buffalo's Idealist💡
Buffalo's Idealist💡
4,706 Posts
Only from what I've travelled so far, I would say WV-612 in West Virginia, or really any West Virginia road. They're the epitome of Appalachia and "backwoods America." Runner ups include I-290 and I-90 in Chicago and other Southern 2-lane roads, including those in suburban Charlotte NC. They're pretty narrow.

In the Buffalo area though I would say my second favorite road is Sheridan Dr, NY-324. It's unique because it's such a wide road in our area which is relatively unusual.

But my first favorite would be the Robert Moses State Parkway north of Niagara Falls. You can see Toronto from it on a clear day.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Only from what I've travelled so far, I would say WV-612 in West Virginia, or really any West Virginia road. They're the epitome of Appalachia and "backwoods America." Runner ups include I-290 and I-90 in Chicago and other Southern 2-lane roads, including those in suburban Charlotte NC. They're pretty narrow.

In the Buffalo area though I would say my second favorite road is Sheridan Dr, NY-324. It's unique because it's such a wide road in our area which is relatively unusual.

But my first favorite would be the Robert Moses State Parkway north of Niagara Falls. You can see Toronto from it on a clear day.
What is this?....Brasília?? :lol:

·
Registered
58 Posts
State Route 5, a designated "Scenic Byway" in Virginia has an amazing number of historic sites. This two-lane gently winding roadway parallels the north shore of the historic James River and connects Richmond with Williamsburg, a distance of about 50-miles. Starting at Jefferson's capitol building in Richmond and driving east, one can experience the following:

St. John's Church in Richmond where Patrick Henry gave his "Liberty or Death" speech

Richmond National Battlefield Park--site of many Civil War battles

Varina Farms home of John Rolfe and Pocahontas (1614-1616)

Shirley Plantation (1723) ancestral home of the Lee family

Berkeley Plantation (mansion built 1726) birthplace of William Henry Harrison, 9th U.S. president. Site of first official Thanksgiving (12/04/1619) and site of the first playing of "TAPS" during the Civil War.

Sherwood Forest Plantation (1730) home of U.S. President John Tyler. It is the longest frame house in the country

Westover Plantation (1730) home of William Byrd II, founder of Richmond

Williamsburg Virginia's Colonial capital (1699-1780)

There are many other historic sites along the Byway but these are the most prominent. Most of Route 5 is through rural countryside under a canopy of trees. Here and there are glimpses of the broad James River. It is the most historic and one of the most beautiful drives I've ever experienced.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Best Route? Iconic Route 66! Or California Highway 01 which I knew!

·
necropolitano
7,131 Posts
In january I visited Big Bear Lake in California and I'd say CA-18 is one of the most enjoyable roads that i've ever know. Wonderful scenery, very well maintained, very nice villages around there.

It's very nice when you're going up the mountains and begin to see the contrast between the dry vegetation of the San Bernardino Valley and the snow, frozen lakes and of the mountain...and also the architecture changes.

I couldn't take pictures because I was driving. Sorry.

·
18,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
State Route 5, a designated "Scenic Byway" in Virginia has an amazing number of historic sites. This two-lane gently winding roadway parallels the north shore of the historic James River and connects Richmond with Williamsburg, a distance of about 50-miles. Starting at Jefferson's capitol building in Richmond and driving east, one can experience the following:

St. John's Church in Richmond where Patrick Henry gave his "Liberty or Death" speech

Richmond National Battlefield Park--site of many Civil War battles

Varina Farms home of John Rolfe and Pocahontas (1614-1616)

Shirley Plantation (1723) ancestral home of the Lee family

Berkeley Plantation (mansion built 1726) birthplace of William Henry Harrison, 9th U.S. president. Site of first official Thanksgiving (12/04/1619) and site of the first playing of "TAPS" during the Civil War.

Sherwood Forest Plantation (1730) home of U.S. President John Tyler. It is the longest frame house in the country

Westover Plantation (1730) home of William Byrd II, founder of Richmond

Williamsburg Virginia's Colonial capital (1699-1780)

There are many other historic sites along the Byway but these are the most prominent. Most of Route 5 is through rural countryside under a canopy of trees. Here and there are glimpses of the broad James River. It is the most historic and one of the most beautiful drives I've ever experienced.
I've driven VA 5 from the Benjamin Harrison Memorial Bridge to Charles City, and it was definitely a nice drive. As you mentioned, there's a ton of history with national implications along this road. It's like a rural version of Boston's Freedom Trail, from a history aspect.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
The Pacific Coast Highway - Route 1 along the California coast - is hard to beat. I grew up loving the Blue Ridge Parkway, but PCH is pretty amazing too. Every curve gives you a new jaw dropping vista of rocky coastline/beach/cliffs/etc. that is simply breathtaking. It took us about 8 hours to drive from San Francisco to LA because every 5 minutes I had to hop out and take a picture.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts