SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why is Georgia afraid to build anything taller than 20 stories outside of Atlanta? I've lived in Augusta most of my life, we have four buildings over 15 stories, none above 19. Same for Savannah, Columbus and Macon.

Compare that to Alabama, with very nice, noticeable buildings in all of its cities (especially now that Mobile has the state's tallest building, taller than anything in New Orleans or Tampa, though it's the state's second largest city with about half of Birmingham's population).

In Augusta, new offices are often put out in the suburbs, and many of them look like ridiculously enormous suburban houses, maybe three or four stories. We had a 200 ft. condo building planned for Washington Road, near my house, and it was axed because the Augusta National didn't want the residents to be able to see into their holy site :eek:hno: Now it's either going to be two 10-story buildings replacing an old shopping center, or no condos at all :(

What idiots. Anyway, it looks like we're stuck in low-rise hell on this side of the river.
 

·
UGA1
Joined
·
461 Posts
I have no clue! I wish other Georgia cities would. Columbus had a chance with TSYS worldwide HQ but instead decided to build a massive 5 story complex along the Chattahoochee River. If that building would have been built up, it would be 40 stories at least. I would rather have seen two or three nice 20 story buildings rather than one 40 story or what they currently have. It's a beautiful complex, but I would rather have seen some height with the buildings. Columbus and Augusta are probably the only cities in GA that have the chance to build higher. Columbus is blessed with major companies like AFLAC, TSYS (world's largest credit card processor), Synovus (banking company), Carmike Cinemas (nations 3rd largest movie chain), Tom's Foods, Hughston Orthopedic Hospital (nationally known orthopedic hospital), and WC Bradley (owner of Zebco, Charbroil grills, etc). I am waiting for one of these companies to build big. It all depends on land prices though. The land in these markets is not expensive enough to demand building up. Once land prices become high, the incentive to build up increases. So all we can do is wait and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,889 Posts
Maybe because it isn't needed. The State doesn't build towers, developers do.
 

·
Megalomaniac
Joined
·
4,171 Posts
i'm just going to say i don't know...

-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
I'm guessing that perhaps the need just isn't there yet.
 

·
Amurika!
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
I know why Savannah doesn't have any talls. They don't want them. Ask anyone in Savannah, the public and city leaders, and they will all tell you the same thing. A big hulking ass skyscraper would rip the charm from Savannah's skyline, and people down there want nothing to do with that. We will never see a skyscraper in Savannah, and won't see too many more high-rises either. They simply don't want them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sean in New Orleans said:
Maybe because it isn't needed. The State doesn't build towers, developers do.
Yes, I know. I didn't mean the state government, I mean Georgia as in its population/business, etc.

Although look at the Florida, Nebraska, and New York State Capitols...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
They want to retain their old, slow paced, southern charm. But Augusta definitely needs something to spice it up a little bit. Because when you visit, it doesnt feel like a city of 200000
 

·
Civilization
Joined
·
2,713 Posts
Atlman1 said:
I have no clue! I wish other Georgia cities would. Columbus had a chance with TSYS worldwide HQ but instead decided to build a massive 5 story complex along the Chattahoochee River. If that building would have been built up, it would be 40 stories at least. I would rather have seen two or three nice 20 story buildings rather than one 40 story or what they currently have. It's a beautiful complex, but I would rather have seen some height with the buildings. Columbus and Augusta are probably the only cities in GA that have the chance to build higher. Columbus is blessed with major companies like AFLAC, TSYS (world's largest credit card processor), Synovus (banking company), Carmike Cinemas (nations 3rd largest movie chain), Tom's Foods, Hughston Orthopedic Hospital (nationally known orthopedic hospital), and WC Bradley (owner of Zebco, Charbroil grills, etc). I am waiting for one of these companies to build big. It all depends on land prices though. The land in these markets is not expensive enough to demand building up. Once land prices become high, the incentive to build up increases. So all we can do is wait and see what happens.
BTW Tom's foods closed down.
 

·
Civilization
Joined
·
2,713 Posts
Amd1588 said:
They want to retain their old, slow paced, southern charm. But Augusta definitely needs something to spice it up a little bit. Because when you visit, it doesnt feel like a city of 200000
That is 200,000 people for the whole county. The city limits has only 49,000 people.
 

·
UGA1
Joined
·
461 Posts
macon4ever said:
BTW Tom's foods closed down.
No it hasn't. It was bought by Lance, a snack food company. Toms is doing well since they were bought. No layoffs that I know of.
 

·
Civilization
Joined
·
2,713 Posts
ATLman- its not the company that counts. IMO Macon has a better skyline than Columbus because there is a few stray buildings around and there is no density. On the other hand we have Crown Plaza Hotel, Fickling Co., and BB&T building right next to each other which looks more of a skyline.

The reason why other Georgian cities do not need buildings higher than 20 stories is because there is obviously no need. Land is cheap so they can build a company hq spread out in area. Kind of like what ATLman said. If a next 20 story building should come it would be in Columbus or Macon.
 

·
Civilization
Joined
·
2,713 Posts
Right of the top of my head- Macon has Bass Pro Shops and Dist. Center, Sara Lee Dist Center, BB&T sub HQ, Fickling & Co. HQ, Reynold's Tobacco Co, Perdue's Chicken Processing, Frito-Lay Dist. Center, Armstrong Tiles, Newell Recy. Center, Kohl's Dist. Center. There are alot more which I can't currently think of.
 

·
Civilization
Joined
·
2,713 Posts
Atlman1 said:
No it hasn't. It was bought by Lance, a snack food company. Toms is doing well since they were bought. No layoffs that I know of.
That's good. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
macon4ever said:
That is 200,000 people for the whole county. The city limits has only 49,000 people.
Actually, that's old data, there's no more City Of Augusta. Since Augusta and Richmond County consolidated, Augusta-Richmond County has about 195,182 (2000). Including Columbia County, Aiken County, and several other nearby counties, the metro population (Augusta-Aiken MSA) is around 477,441.

It has never felt like we are the second largest city in Georgia, as far as atmosphere, density and possible activities go.
 

·
Martial Artist
Joined
·
364 Posts
cuz half of Georgia's people lives in Atlanta. the other half are just scattered everywhere else in the state forming these large but boring type cities.
 

·
Civilization
Joined
·
2,713 Posts
Eddy Gordo said:
cuz half of Georgia's people lives in Atlanta. the other half are just scattered everywhere else in the state forming these large but boring type cities.
Just like Alabama with Mobile, Huntsville, Tuscaloosa, Dothan, and Phenix City. :bash: :bash: :bash:
 

·
Martial Artist
Joined
·
364 Posts
Just like Alabama with Mobile, Huntsville, Tuscaloosa, Dothan, and Phenix City.
u left out Montgomery. However, B'Ham's metro is just above 1 million while ATL has almost 5 million.

Big difference.
 
1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Top