SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just over in construction pics and saw the thread with the pictures of the developing ROM addition. It looks amazing with all the steel beams in place. That was from early March, does anyone have any more recent shots? This is the kind of stuff I want to see more of.

REgan

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Some people HATE it, others LOVE it.
I, for one, think it is great. Others think it grates.

Nothing like a wacky, post - card -worthy, building to break up the monotony of square boxes everywhere.

Like the OCA&D, buildings that are not "Brampton Chic" sometimes cause a stir.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Webcam pic but it's night time though:

But I don't think that any new updates on this forum is necessary because it all looks the same, just a complex steel frame. I can't wait until they actually start cladding the boxes with steel(?)

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
regan said:
yeah... is the structure going to be made out of glass entirely or is it just in sections?

REgan

Well...guessing from the render, it will be glass in some sections, but the boxes will be mostly steel.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Let's hope we don't cheap out and go for galvanized, corrigated, sheet metal.

·
partybits
1,451 Posts
That must be an engineering masterpiece. What a complicated looking construction project. I just can't wait to see the end result. I bet standing across the street, It would make you feel so small compared to the size of the "crystals".

·
Former Toronto *********
912 Posts
I don't think there will be any cheapening out on this project. The ROM is a great looking building in an architecturally rich area of the city...it would be a travesty if the new addition doesn't live up to the standards of the area.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
Lucky 24 said:
I don't think there will be any cheapening out on this project. The ROM is a great looking building in an architecturally rich area of the city...it would be a travesty if the new addition doesn't live up to the standards of the area.
Indeed, but I'm mostly excited about what's going on next door with the new conservatory of music expansion. That project's gonna be one sweet cultural addition.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
We love poo-pooing great projects in this city so much, we pretend it's going to happen in the hopes of a self-fullfilling prophecy. LOL

The part of the ROM reno I'm most impressed with, is the reworking of the origional parts of the building...not the Crystal (which will be very nice to look at).

This tells me there are many people who don't really give two shits about what it's for. Architecture is nice...but let's not forget the purpose of the ROM is not architecture.

KGB

·
Former Toronto *********
912 Posts
Final steel beam was put into place on the ROM yesterday.

It's Crystal clear: ROM will be city's wow centre

CHRISTOPHER HUME

There was cheering in the streets yesterday as the final part of the steel structure was put in place at the Royal Ontario Museum's addition, the Crystal.

Who said modern architecture wasn't popular?

Designed by Daniel Libeskind, he of the much-criticized Freedom Tower in New York, the $211 million project has been under construction at the corner of Bloor St. W. and Queen's Park Cres. for more than a year. Though it won't open for another year, already the extraordinary angularity of its jutting planes is plain for all to see.

Libeskind, who flew in for the occasion from, well, he's not sure where, couldn't have been happier.

"It's thrilling," he spluttered, beaming. "Nothing could be as exhilarating as seeing the building take shape in reality."

Interestingly, the Crystal now going up bears a striking resemblance to the felt-pen napkin drawings Libeskind entered in the design competition launched three years ago. They were quick sketches, tossed off at Jamie Kennedy's old restaurant at the ROM, but, strangely enough, they remain remarkably accurate.

That will inevitably change as the glass and extruded aluminium cladding are put in place. Then the Crystal could actually start to look like a crystal, or at least an architectural version of one. Which is to say it will fall somewhere between the organic and the man-made.

Libeskind's brilliance lies in his ability to produce chaos within clarity, disorder within order. The Crystal is an explosion of forms frozen in space. It dispenses with the orthogonal orthodoxies of traditional architecture in one fell swoop.

Needless to say, Toronto has never seen anything like it.

"Architecture is a very good beacon of the future," Libeskind argues. "And the future is bright. We're better informed now. There is more knowledge today."

Clearly, whatever else Libeskind may be, he's a diehard optimist. Where others see decline and deterioration, he sees the "messiness of democracy."

Even the seemingly endless machinations at Ground Zero that have turned his Freedom Tower into the world's first bunkered skyscraper have not left him angry, frustrated or embittered. Libeskind smiles and insists that the universe is unfolding as it should.

"I don't want to minimize the struggles I'm having," he confesses. "They can be brutal. But in the end it will be better. Ironically, it has come closer to my original idea."

No wonder Toronto inspires such an outpouring of enthusiasm.

"This is a great city," he declares. "The ROM has been a great experience for me, with such a great client. It's so beautiful to be here. Canada has managed to remain a very balanced country."

As he also points out, Toronto is a city in transition.

"Pretty soon we're going to see big changes here," he says. "This is an ambitious city."

One of the biggest of those changes will happen at the ROM. An institution long known for its dourness is set to become the wow centre of Toronto, the must-see museum.

As ROM CEO William Thorsell notes, however, he's still looking for $60 million to complete the project. And he doesn't expect finding it will be easy; Toronto's philanthropic community is tapped out and he's hoping the federal-provincial infrastructure program will be good for maybe $28 million.

We'll see. If the politicos can wrap their minds around the fact that this represents an investment, not a frivolous expenditure, they'll find the cash in a flash.

For his part, Libeskind isn't about to downplay the importance of budgets. There are, he says quoting Walter Benjamin, five elements: earth, wind, water, fire and money.

"Cost is an important issue," he observes. "You need limits."

Who would disagree? The question is where those limits are set; in Toronto there's a sense they have been set too low for too long, but if the ROM is any indication, that's all changed.

·
partybits
1,451 Posts
I can't wait until it's done. Standing in front of the construction you realize just how complicated this engineering feat is. No picture can do it justice, the angles are just extroadinary. When is this expcected to be completed?

G

·
Lucky 24 said:
The cladding is being imported from Europe, and by all accounts is of extremely high quality. So yeah...this is going to be a great project all around.

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
ROM condo proposal--op ed piece

Travis007 posted this article a few minutes ago in 40 story for the rom thread so i am deleting this one.

Lofty plans for replacing planetarium
A scheme to build a condo tower next to the ROM is bound to ignite protests
By JOHN BENTLEY MAYS
Pretty good aniti-nimby aricle ---- :) --- DrT

1 - 18 of 18 Posts