SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hometown is Denver, Colorado and Denver has big booms and big busts. They are legendary and speculators can either hit it very rich or go down for the count.

I remember 1984 to 1992 were very, very bad years for Denver economy.

The early 1980's led a rapid appreciation in homes and the very low unemployment with high wages.

By 1985, A double-whammy of very low oil prices and tons of real estate speculation came home too roost and Denver plowed into the biggest recession since the great depression in our state. In 1987 and 1988 my relatives said they remembered going down the streets of Denver and seeing 3 and 4 homes for sale on every block. As a young kid, I remember massive magazine sized booklets in the Denver Post containing the thousands and thousands of HUD properties. Homes near downtown Denver were going for 5,000 dollars and tens of thousands of people left city and suburb alike as the empty skyscrapers contained no jobs. The recession finally started to lift in 1992 when Denver was called the cheapest place in the world to do business.

Pueblo, Colorado also went through a massive steel crisis in the early 1980's. I have relatives down there that said that in mid 1980's the downtown was a boarded-up shell and unemployment was always in the double-digits.

Colorado Springs was the foreclosure capitol of the country in 1988, but didnt have as much of a real estate collapse as Denver.

So what is the worst city economic crisis you know of, Cleveland has one in 1978 and Philly and New Orleans have had several. You have any memories of any?

·
Proud Marylander
553 Posts
I'd say a lot of American cities have a similar story to tell when it comes to the late 80s/early 90s. The recession slowed down growth in many cities while crime rates skyrocketed. Baltimore seemed to punch forward with commercial growth in 1992, but just around 1989, I'd say all new construction was put to a halt. The crime rates continued to climb, however, and Baltimore missed the boom times of the 90s. Currently, this decade has been better to Baltimore and the city is going through its own boom times. It seems to me the western states boomed in the 80s, southeastern states boomed in the 90s, while northeastern and Great Lake cities are growing stronger in the 00s. A strange cycle in a way.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm not sure if this fits the thread, but between 1970 and 1980, Philadelphia lost around 300,000 poeple. It was by far the worst loss in terms of population, and I guess the economy and population work together in a way. I have absolutely no idea what I am tlaking about.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What was the reason for Philadelphia population decline from 1970 to 1980.

I know the 1970's were the worst on record for population loses for American cities. Outside of a few hardly any gained in that decade.

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
The San Francisco Bay Area goes through unbelievable economic turmoil every ten years-then there are another ten years of unbelievable economic expansion.

Reslience is our middle name.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Miami had the Cocaine Cowboy days of the late 70's into the early 80's with one of the highest crime rates in the world. This was couple with a real estate crash during the 80's. Capped off with Miami's last major riot in 1989 (right in time for a SuperBowl). Due to poor fiscal management the City of Miami was nearly dissolved in 1996 but now its one of the most finacially booming cities in America.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I was working on a paper on the excess real estate in the south-west in the Oil price collapse in the middle 1980's.

Houston and Oklahoma City actually had vacancy rates of around 30% in 1987, Austin though believe it or not holds the record for highest vacancy rate in America for a major metro, in 1987 over 40% of the office space in Austin was vacant. Didnt know Austin was that dependent on Oil.

Austin had a very big recession in 1987, about the same drop in payrolls as the rest of Texas but evidently too office space came online in the early 1980's.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
When the rust belt started in 1950. Lose nearly 500,000 people, from 3.5 million just to about 3 million.

Another worst crisis was in 1871, the chicago fire... burning of the city, but turn this wooden city to a more modern ciy.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
dave8721 said:
Miami had the Cocaine Cowboy days of the late 70's into the early 80's with one of the highest crime rates in the world. This was couple with a real estate crash during the 80's. Capped off with Miami's last major riot in 1989 (right in time for a SuperBowl). Due to poor fiscal management the City of Miami was nearly dissolved in 1996 but now its one of the most finacially booming cities in America.
I'm glad all of that happened to Miami. It made for a great video game....Grand Theft Auto Vice City. :)

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
Wheeling, WV's worst economic crisis was back in the 1970s. The economy today is not much better though.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Indianapapolis

Maybe the 1970s for Indianapolis--despite city-county consolidation in 1970, the population dropped from 744,000 to 700,000 by 1980. Now, however, it is up around 790,000--but apparentl dropping again...maybe the 2000s are the worst decade??

For my real hometown of Terre Haute, the worst decades have been the
1920s
1930s
1940s
1950s
1960s
1970s
1980s
1990s
2000s, and the list keeps growing...

·
Registered
943 Posts
Houston -

1940 all construction stoped downtown, as I'm sure with every other city.

1973 A slight oil bust.

1982 One of the worst oil busts in history.

1983 Oil skyrocketed, as did Houston

1984 Houston's worst economic disaster. The oil bust left about 150,000 jobless.

1990 Things where still on the down turn

1998 things picked up again

2000 Major residential condo development

2001 Houston gets first "skyscraper" since 1987.

2001 Enron and Tropical Storm Allison leave Houston in heart brake for 2001.

2002 Condo developement Uptown continues

2003 Light rail, Downtown + Midtown development. 2 new +30 stories skyscrapers downtown.

2004 upward trend

·
Registered
943 Posts
Bond James Bond said:
You guys are forgetting the Great Depression. ;)
The Great Depression really didn't effect Houston. Infact, no Houston Banks closed during the Great Depression... Only skyscraper construction stoped, until the 1950s.

·
Fresh Coast
1,513 Posts
Greatest economic crisis? Prohibition.

Well not really the greatest economic crisis, but it did have a very large effect on local brewery manufacturing. The Post-Industrial period probably hit Milwaukee harder.

·
abdulsharifshoots.com
1,701 Posts
Louisville was hit by a crazy flood in 1937..there used to be some amazing photos of the damage, but i can't find them anymore...this is one of the photos that was taken in Louisville during the flood.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
cjfjapan said:
Maybe the 1970s for Indianapolis--despite city-county consolidation in 1970, the population dropped from 744,000 to 700,000 by 1980. Now, however, it is up around 790,000--but apparentl dropping again...maybe the 2000s are the worst decade??

where have you read or seen that Indy is loosing population?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts