Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SSP/Los Angeles is in the process of self-cannibalization. Have you read any of their posts over there? First they complain about no shiny new 700 ft highrises proposed, then when they are they complain about the same 700ft shiny new highrise proposed. Lately the phrase "LA is a shithole" has been thrown around. I say every living thing has a shithole, so take pride if you are deemed one....I mean they do serve a very worthy function. In then they have the nerve to look down on SSC/LA, at least that's what I can gather from my 2 years of visiting that forum. It might be time for SSP/LA to close down. Here is a long needed response from "Westsidelife" to all of the intra-trollism that goes on between themselves:

Edluva's words, no matter how "insightful" they may be, mean nothing to me and to everyone else here, except you. We are all aware of LA's shortcomings and have called it out on such failures; we don't need to be reminded of them every second. From a general standpoint, you are the two people who patronize the rest of us LA forumers for "ooh-ing and aww-ing" at those pictures of skyscrapers made of glass and steel. In case you forgot, this is skyscraperpage.com, so if you two don't like the way the other forumers roll, then too bad. Both of you, particularly edluva, are pessimists in disguise, and we certainly don't need your negativity. Stop using the excuse of "Oh, I'm just telling it like it is" and stop acting as if you know better. It wouldn't make much of an impact if you two stopped posting completely, though we wouldn't get our lovely fashion updates. As for edluva, we already get our dose of negativity - it's called citywatch.

And to edluva - Why don't you leave LAMetroGuy alone. Making a mockery out of our most beloved forumer, dubbed the "Render God," is very condescending and unwarranted. Leave the satirical rhetoric behind.

Here is yet another scathing rebuke from "edluva" to the pious LA booster:

unless you're a struggling actor or other hollywood hopeful, la really isn't a "place to be" city. ny, speaks for itself. chicago also plays a similar game. same goes for london, tokyo, paris, etc. they're all financial centers, because they're centers of securities trading first, not because they have 10 F500 banks first - the banks come afterwards. boston is education, by way of it's institutions. sf also in a similar way. washington by way of political insitutions. Like their respective built env'ts, these cities all host institutions which are indispensable, permanent, and regenerative.

los angeles, on the other hand, is a braindead city. it's an agglomeration of lots of people who happen to live as neighbors, with no real purpose for existence other than a shared desire to live in the same place. it's as though we took 18m of america's unassuming suburbia and plopped it down onto the same basin, as if only so that we're able to say "there's a big city here too".

most angelinos run restaurants, liquor stores, clean sinks, fix cars, mow lawns, perform surgery, groom pets, and do other things that while crucial for any functioning city, aren't all that crucial to the global economy. we are by and large a blue-collar city, except that in LA, these blue-collars are independent contractors, plumbers, tractor-operators, mechanics, electricians etc. who, unlike in other cities, don't have big companies to work for, but instead, work for each other. the plumber plumbs the crane-operator's drain, the tractor operator plows out the school-teacher's yard, the electrician fixes the plumber's fusebox, the mechanic changes the crane-operator's rotors, etc. yes this happens in other cities, but especially for la, it's the meat of our economy - for instance, our financial institutions (deloitte, citi, pwc, etc) peform regional work for ny/lon/chi global hq's. whereas deloitte, citi, pwc have their global operations in ny, their regional operations serve as LA's "top rung" service - so that LA's "top rung" is actually ny/lon/chi's regional. in other words la might as well not exist, except that it does. it's an overgrown kansas city (to which no offense is meant, but we're talking global finance) only with tinsletown embedded within

i think it's funny some of you guys even think there's a mystery to it. don't conflate la's size with it's significance - it's a tendency of hollywood to do the same thing, and the same jadedness that makes la so often despised.

Mod if need be you can move this to the Interchange.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
I cannot believe that happening over there @ SSP. I hardly ever post in the LA section and cought a glimpse of negativity from the above forumer. Sadly he's killing the positive vibe that SSP seems to have. Since their a very informative bunch of pro LA forumers.

I wouldn't go as far as shutting it down when they can easily just ban the fellow and keep moving forward. Lastly this will be pretty interesting in the coming days...Please stay tuned!

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
I have yet to read edluva and bjornson's responses to my long overdue speech. I'm getting kind of sick of edluva.

But klamedia, SSP is for the most part very loving of LA and is optimistic about its future. Hope you don't take it too far out of context.

·
The Place
1,137 Posts
I really like edluva... I think he is very bright guy. However I have noticed he has a very cynical and rather somber view of LA. I think he has been reading a lot of Mike Davis books.

·
Smile!
609 Posts
I have yet to read edluva and bjornson's responses to my long overdue speech. I'm getting kind of sick of edluva.

But klamedia, SSP is for the most part very loving of LA and is optimistic about its future. Hope you don't take it too far out of context.
Ive been a lurker on SSP (I regestered but never post) for almost 2 years now. He says a lot of negetive things about L.A. from time to time.

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
^^Well you could just go to SSP and look for yourself. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I enjoy SSC more because I can actually join it and it is much more friendly than SSP.

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
I post on both forums. SSP is leaps and bounds better than SSC in terms of getting information for projects and buildings and what not. SSP does look down on SSC because SSP is more mature and adult than SSC. But SSC is a bit more warm if not filled with idiots.

I don't care either way. Try to not take internet forums so seriously.

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
^^Sure they can get information, but they're dicks and there's not camaraderie. I'd rather have this where we can get information and be cool to each other.

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
Dicks to who? I've never seen anyone get into any sort of argument or derail threads or anything. You know..not counting edluva or citywatch. And LASportsFan's never ending optimisim is infectious.

Although I will say that the LA SSC forum made a drastic improvement compared to how it was in 2005. Back then, this place was unbearable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, this forum has totally changed since a couple years ago. It was really bad! I was just thinking to myself "Wtf is going on w/ SSP?" and decided to check out SSC again. Apparently I'm not the only one who's thinking the same thing.

It's too bad. SSP has a great community, but no one's posting. It's either being modded to death or there is just too much assholery. I'll definitely be more active here.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Welcome back. SSP is overhyped no question things have changed. Very little post activity and too narrowly focused on DTLA. SSC has a broader more diverse cross-section of Los Angeles.

I do like the DTLA photo updates from SSP but in terms of useful info it is nearly useless.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Remember when SSC was trippin' and we weren't able to log in for a couple of days. It took some time to bring everyone back on board. Some just never came back after that...

Good thing we gained a couple of new forumers, which I must say have not gone to RollCall but who really notices, right?

Hip...Hip...Hooray...4...SSC!!!!!
:dance:

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Remember when SSC was trippin' and we weren't able to log in for a couple of days. It took some time to bring everyone back on board. Some just never came back after that...

Good thing we gained a couple of new forumers, which I must say have not gone to RollCall but who really notices, right?

Hip...Hip...Hooray...4...SSC!!!!!
:dance:
"Ferney" you used to be the Ed McMahon of SSC w/ your "NOW GO TO ROLL CALL" bit.......eventhough you've been a bit of an ass lately we all really liked that aspect about you and I personally want it back! Could you please tell "ralossi" to go to roll call.......:hug:

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Wow, this forum has totally changed since a couple years ago. It was really bad! I was just thinking to myself "Wtf is going on w/ SSP?" and decided to check out SSC again. Apparently I'm not the only one who's thinking the same thing.

It's too bad. SSP has a great community, but no one's posting. It's either being modded to death or there is just too much assholery. I'll definitely be more active here.
Hey there!

The problem with SSP is that either there's just not enough to talk about or people are just too lazy to post. The SSP LA over the past few weeks has been lagging a bit. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

As for SSC, SSP is a far better place if you want to have meaningful and insightful conversations. Only a select few on here are productive. The rest of the time, this forum is for the most part just messed up. Just take a look at the fact that there's more activity in the Interchange than there is in the actual Development News forum.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
^^ Does that mean you'll be leaving for good???

SSC will miss you..... Adios Westside!!!!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts