SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know all want a better Los Angeles to live in. So my question to you is, what 3 changes would you make in your hood?

Here is my zip... 90045

1) Green Line extension into Westchester.

2) More retail along Sepulveda/Manchester/Lincoln connecting into LAX.

3) Bring some of the walls down on the main Avenues. La Tijera, Sepulveda and Manchester..... not very welcoming at all.

I think we are the gateway into LA thru LAX. Unless you drive down Century Blvd, everything else looks old and boring. We need something similar to LA Live to cater to travelers who are in a lay over flight and have a couple of hours to spare.......

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
1 fix the roads
2 bury the power lines... i hate having my car shit on
3 ither raise the train tracks or lower the road way. i swear there are 18 fully loaded freight trains that go through here everyday and it causes a traffic crap-up

·
Registered
290 Posts

1 BURY THE POWER LINES, i can hear them buzzing at night
2 more frequent bus service
3 keep away beachside development.
developers are trying to build a retail complex at the very end of Culver Blvd, where there currently are sand dunes. Playa Del Rey has enough in terms of retail and restaurants and is not the neighborhood to start bringing in chain stores/restaurants while sacrificing beach access for its residents.

·
Registered
16 Posts

1. Reconstruct the area around my local redline station (Sunset/Vermont) making the area more friendly for pedestrains. This would include the destruction of the Barnsdall shopping center where teh Jons Market and Rite Aid are, and the destruction of the triangle shaped area directly across where two banks are and a gas station (also where cars and pedestrains interact way to much.) On those spots 4-6 story residences with retail ammenities below, to allow the banks and markets and business to relocate. (Especially Casa Diaz where its a lil pricey but always satisfying!!) Would be an excelent and natural expansion of the Los Feliz Village Shopping area along vermont.

2. I would do somethinig about the street juction where sunset, hillhurst and hollywood blvd meet. If your walking to the Vista Theatre for a movie or going to Vons it takes an awfully long time and feels very uncomfortable crossing the street. There has got to be a better way to configure things. The Hollywood Vons would also be replaced by a similar infill project to the one I mentioned above.

3. Tie...add speed bumps to the street i live one (Rodney between hollywood blvd and prospect) There is a blind spot where it curves and people cruise down it like a freeway. It would either need a speed bump or One way conversion. Also Pedestrainize Hollywood blvd All the way to Downtown Hollywood because I like taking walks all the way down and it would be so much more pleasant with wider sidewalks, tress and street furniture (nothing to faux or tacky though.)

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts

I pretty much like my hood. But here are some things that could be different.

1)Run the Silver Line down Sunset
2)Destroy and mix use all strip malls
3)Get rid of all surface parking lots that sit out in front of stores by either going underground with them or building central parking structures around the neighborhood like in Santa Monica.
4)Change the zoning laws to allow denser multifamily homes mixed in with single family homes.

·
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...
1,529 Posts
godblessbotox said:
1 fix the roads
2 bury the power lines... i hate having my car shit on
3 ither raise the train tracks or lower the road way. i swear there are 18 fully loaded freight trains that go through here everyday and it causes a traffic crap-up
eh... traffic around there is crap with or without the rail... Valley is totally backed up most of the time, but the sad thing is mostly it's not coz of the traffic, it's all those LOVELY drivers who dive 10 miles under the limit and stop a car space behind the one in front at the light, scared shitless that they will somehow scratch his sugar baby lexus or bmw or mercedes...

it's very frustrating to drive around there...

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
One thing about 90028 is that the residents have tried to walk a fine line between keeping the area quaint and NIMBYism. I love density but it's got to be within scale. In other words, I'd like to see more dense multifamily homes on my street but not a 12 story box of condos. It couldn't be more than 4 stories and would have to fit on a single lot preferably. Here is a link to the Voice (similar to our LA Weekly) article about what's happening to Williamsburg, considered Silver Lake's sister city/neighborhood. Indeed they are similar areas in that they have roughly the same density, the same demographics and similar physical characteristics. Even if you are not familiar with Williamsburg its an interesting read about what could happen to your hip, quaint and hot hood. This is the kind of density I do not wish for.

http://villagevoice.com/news/0620,murphy,73227,5.html

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ Isn't that what you wanted, more density and highrise apartments all over the city. Are you like against it, OMG!!!! I need to check where is zip 90028 and how this will impact that hood. I would love to see that in my hood.....

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
No actually it's quite the opposite Ferney. We have only been talking forever about urban cores and urban hotspots. That's why we have places like Downtown, Hollywood, Century City etc. To expand these areas out to just about everywhere would in fact encourage sprawl, something that we all seem to be against. Have you ever stopped to think why all of the tallest buildings are downtown? Why we don't have 70 story buildings in Hancock Park? Neighborhoods have every right to have height limits and encourage developers to build to scale. I don't think anyone on this forum wants a supertall sitting in the middle of a field of single family homes in Pacoima. Skylines are formed because zoning permits really tall buildings to be built relatively close together thus forming a cluster of very tall buildings that creates a symbol more or less of the cities power and/or ambitions. I thought we were all on the same page here?
Who wants LA's next supertall to be built in Reseda?

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Ferneynism said:
^ Isn't that what you wanted, more density and highrise apartments all over the city. Are you like against it, OMG!!!!
This is getting on my nerves. I've never said that I wanted highrises (50+ stories) all over the city. That wouldn't be smart urban planning that would be a mess. Just like you missunderstood me on the transportation issue. Am I against freeways? No. Do I think that their should be an alternative to freeways? Yes. Does LA need an alternative? You bet it does. You keep coming up with these non-sensical ideas that I am flatly against or pro transit or density. I am for a more balanced approach which I've seen in cities like New York, though over time LA will have its own unique but balanced version of what urbanism is. I take transit but I have a car and drive from time to time. I live in a neighborhood that is very urban with multifamily housing and shops fronting streets as well as single family homes. On the other hand you always drive, never take transit and live in an area that is arguably the last remaining intact LA neighborhood that has less apartment buildings than single family homes. So obviously our experiences are different. I don't believe necessarily in either or. Believe or not, some things can co-exist.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^ Dude, I'm right there with you on smart growth and whatnot. Obviously I don't want to see anything mid rise or higher scatter around the city. So you see we are still on the same page here..... I never really blamed you for being soooo anti~FWY at all. You always claimed Public Transit as far as I remember. Which I think is more in part that your originally from NY or somewhere in the other coast. I'm a native Angelino who is really absorbing all these new changes happening in my surrounding. Just for the record my hood is not as bad as you portray it to be. It just might seem that way since most of it's residence are older couples. Although I have noticed a lot of new younger Homebuyers moving in. Which will depend on Public Transportation in a near future. Heck, maybe even me who knows!!!!!

So let's re~cap:

I am not against Public Transportation one bit.
You are not against LA freeways and have used them in the past.
We don't want tall (50) + buildings in Urban areas.
We want Smart Growth only.
We don't like Nimby's.
Zev, is an enemy of the people.
We are pushing for the Red Line to the beach.
Villaraigoza is a kick ass Mayor.

This should cover everything for now.....

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
kd

·
Registered
179 Posts
I took this photo of West LA from the bluffs at Playa del Rey. On the foreground is the Playa Vista development which shows clusters of four- to five-level residential condos & three-level single family residences surrounded by parks and some mixed-use structures. Apparently, most LA city planning people are advocating Playa Vista to be the "model" for future development in the city. It is urban, dense, mostly mid-rise, located close to commercial areas and major transportation arteries (405 FWY and Lincoln Blvd.) Despite the controversies surrounding the project, many people think it is well-planned and strikes a balance between the urban/semi-suburban environment that suits LA more.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Quite frankly I think the prospects are good that something is going to happen, perhaps a bond measure, that will get a ton of rail lines built over the next 10-15 years. With developments like this, I mean by nature of their density, everyone exiting the garage onto the streets at 7am every morning is going to be quite problematic. It seems to me that these dense structures are waiting to married to some kind of mass transit, other than the bus. These dense structures are just not practical for exclusive use of single occupancy vehicles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
And quite possibly the nations sexiest mayor.
Off topic but I concur (that is if you are talking about physical appearance.) I saw him in Larchmont village once and hes terribly handsome in person. Even more so than Gavin Newsom who I have also seen. :hammer:

BTW....brilliant picture from Playa Vista.

·
Pipe Layer
778 Posts
OK Angelenos, help me out here. What is that dense little skyline that runs from the left side of this picture? Isn't that Wilshire? And the cluster on the right side is Century City right? Is this picture looking North or East? :?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts