SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
My last name is German (We're from SW Germany mostly. The last name translates to "Rooster of the Woods") but I also have English, Irish, and Scottish.

·
Banned
8,602 Posts
Mine "usually accepted as being of Spanish or Portuguese origin. However in truth like so many Iberian surnames, its origins are Germanic. In the 5th century the Visigoths from Eastern Germany conquered the whole region, sweeping down from the Baltic and across the Pyrenean mountains into the Spanish Peninsula. Their legacy today is often found in the surnames, and these surnames themselves have crossed the ocean to the American continent. In this case the development is from the early German baptismal name 'Gundisalvus', which loosely translates as 'the battle field or battle place', a typical example of a warlike name so popular in the period."
------------------------------------------------

My great grandfather is a spanish-israeli who married a filipino-chinese. So it truly runs in our blood. :)

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
0 results. My surname is Tamil though.

·
Blue Collar Bigwig
1,905 Posts
English/Scottish

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts
I'm Irish/Scottish, but jersey's interesting little device has pointed out that my family name's origin was Anglo Saxon. That I did not know! :eek:

I have a teensy bit of Huguenot blood from France, too, from back in the 1600's. Oh, and Viking blood because they raped/pillaged/murdered their way
up and down the Irish/Scottish coasts, hence my fair hair and blue eyes. I guess I'm a bit of a mongrel, all told! :clown:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Please accept our apologies but this surname has yet to be researched.

How great, I have one of the most popular french names and that's what I get? Lovely.

·
insertoronto
4,035 Posts
they don't have mine.

my grandparents immigrated here in the 40's and 50's from the netherlands, but my mothers maiden name is german. I think my mothers great great grandparents moved to the netherlands in the 1850's, then hopped across the atlantic a century later.

edit: 1300th post, i guess i should be superstitious lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts