Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
TPA Airport hands down. Excellent interterminal transfer, convienent parking, rated among the world's best.

MIA and MCO are too big and crowded and PIE is too shoddy (sorry PIE).

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
EYW - It's old school Florida and perfect for what it is.

MIA and MCO are both fine with maybe an edge to MCO for facilities.
TPA was OK.
FLL I avoid when I can, it's just too busy for it's size. It's so much cheaper though that I usually end up flying out of there.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
TPA has always been easy to get in and out of, MCO is pretty clean and MIA was under heavy construction the last time I flew into there. Although I've never flown into JIA, it appears to be pretty clean, although small, as well. Outside of Tallahassee's, I have no idea of how the rest of Florida's commercial airports are.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Not sure which is my favorite, but here's some OIA photos and renderings showing parts of the terminals and the Hyatt:

The Hyatt's atrium:

Hyatt restaurants:

The Hyatt's rooftop pool:

The Hyatt's elevators:

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
^^ I love the train and the main 'lobby' or whatever that is..with all the shops.
there's around 50 shops in the landside terminal building (which does not account for the 4 airsides).

the "main Lobby" is actually the atrium of the Hyatt where the links to Gates 60-129 are. GOAA's offices are back in the NE corner behind Starbucks. And the new tram to the new SOuth Terminal Complex is in the SE corner.

The bulk of the shops are in the central concourse in 2 linear halls with moving sidewalks.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I was really disappointed when they started requiring boarding passes to go to the gate and I couldn't ride the peoplemover anymore.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Miami is just so busy but has renovated and looks much better.. Very international..
Orlando which copied Tampa's design, is Florida's largest and a nice modern facility..

Tampa was the first to adopt the landside-airside concept and is a really futuristic facility.. Often rated number 1 by business travelers..

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
^^

OIA:

With regards to the retail & restaurants at OIA, Airport Revenue News Magazine (ARN) gave OIA the 2007 Best Concessions Award, where OIA ranked #1 among all of the nation's largest airports (30M or more passengers per year).

TIA:

J.D. Powers & Asso.'s North American Airport Rankings ranked TIA #14 among medium sized airports in 2007 (down from #6 in 2006) based on food service, retail, baggage claim, cost, etc.

(OIA ranked #6 in that same study & MIA ranked #14-- both in the large airports (30M or more category).

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Here's some schematics for the airports mentioned (to compare the scale from one to the other, look at the grid for each, i.e., TIA was magnified the most; MIA the second most, and MCO was shrunk down):

·
Florida
1,295 Posts
State names Sarasota-Bradenton International as a top airport

STAFF REPORT

SOUTHWEST FLORIDA — For the first time since 1993, Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport has been named the Commercial Service Airport of the Year by the Florida Department of Transportation.

The FDOT handed out the award last week at the annual Florida Airports Council Conference in Orlando.

According to a statement released Thursday by the airport, William Ashbaker, state aviation manager, cited various reasons for Sarasota-Bradenton’s selection, including “a flawless safety inspection in November by the Federal Aviation Administration; multi-million dollar innovative security improvements implemented by the airport; the recent $5 million main runway rehabilitation project completed while maintaining airline service during normal business hours and successful air service development program undertaken by the airport that has resulted in attracting new carriers AirTran Airways and Jet Blue Airways to SRQ.”

SRQ is the FAA’s code for the airport.

The statement said the cumulative efforts cited by Ashbaker have resulted in strong SRQ passenger support and growth over the past year. During the 12-month period ending in June, SRQ had served 1,518,671 passengers, up nearly 12 percent year to date. Passenger traffic is up 43 percent compared with 2003, according to the statement.

“This is a wonderful testament to the dedication and hard work of the board, the staff and all the employees that work at the airport,” said Fredrick “Rick” J. Piccolo, SRQ president, in the statement. “We will continue our efforts to improve the facilities and air service at SRQ for the benefit of the community.”

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20070712/BREAKING06/70712023

1 - 20 of 24 Posts